IGNORED

What you listen in your car audio?

What you listen in your car audio?  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I like this one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33803[/ATTACH]

I doubt, what music can be listened inside :)

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Sometimes I like to listen to the screams of terror from the other drivers as I crush them in my tank...

My dad once worked for a guy who bought a Sherman tank. He was very disappointed to learn he couldn't get it road-licensed.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

My dad once worked for a guy who bought a Sherman tank. He was very disappointed to learn he couldn't get it road-licensed.

The vehicle had gun? Without gun it is traktor.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Vote for "Other" since it's FM Radio in the main.

No time to be fooling with specialized sources in the short daily trips that I'm involved in. Then there's the fact of road/environmental noise makes the use of a high quality source mostly irrelevant. Once in a while on a longer trip I'll plug in my Sansa Disc mp3 player.

YMMV

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

The vehicle had gun? Without gun it is traktor.

After WWII, my father-in-law devised a means of clearing land in East Africa for agricultural use that involved 2 surplus tanks and a chain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanganyika_groundnut_scheme

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

similar here. We have our own public radio stns. in this small town, but they carry NPR so I just listen to that in the daily driver

the Vanagon camper has Am/FM/USB stick when outside radio reception areas

the sports car has a Flat-6 (but could use a better head unit for freeway driving)

similar here. We have our own public radio stns. in this small town, but they carry NPR so I just listen to that in the daily driver

the Vanagon camper has Am/FM/USB stick when outside radio reception areas

the sports car has a Flat-6 (but could use a better head unit for freeway driving)

My sports car also has a flat-6. hello fellow sports car driver!

No electron left behind.

ha!

'73 unit body - hot-rodded with lighter parts from various years; 2.3L with PMO carbs; twin-plugged

Cayman GT4, but dying to get an older air cooled 911 as well. Had a 991 GT3. With the engine problems and PDK I decided to get a GT4 with it's manual transmission and non turbo engine.

No electron left behind.

This thread has certainly proved to be food for thought for me, more of that later, but firstly to answer the OP's question. In the car I listen to radio, both FM and digital, but for about half of my driving hours I listen to ALAC files. These are delivered via an old iPod classic. My car has a USB input that offers iPod integration, so the artist and track names appear on the cars display and you can select music using the cars controls, it works well. When I first had the car (bought as a year and a half old car about seven years ago), I plugged in my almost brand new iPhone and there were issues with the integration, the tracks listed incorrectly with issues with the controls. I sussed out that only Apple devices that were older than the car worked correctly, so picked up an iPod classic which works fine. I guess it might be possible to give the car a firmware update or something, but the old iPod works just fine, other than updating the music it has sat permanently in the car for almost seven years now, a case of don't fix what ain't broken.

But here is the thought that has been niggling me for a while. In a way, I think I spent a bit too much cash on that car, it has served me well, but I'm thinking the replacement should be a modest 'downsize'. Then I realise that I probably listen to music in the car for slightly more hours a week than I spend listening to my system at home. A case of long hours at work, and a longish drive in very heavy traffic. ('rush hour' traffic in some parts of south east England can be diabolical) Then when I think again of the cash, that overly costly car when bought was probably something in the region of £20k less than the retail value of my current hifi system.

Logic would dictate that for my next car I should prioritise cash at getting a car with a decent sound system, either OEM or aftermarket, and spend less on the home hifi system. Well, that does seam logical. The thing is, as long as the car system is reasonable, then I hardly think about sound quality in the car. As for the sound system at home, I can obsess endlessly about extracting the last ounce of performance with the best of them! The conclusion here? I am not quite sure, but I am thinking that when I do update the car, I should at least go for one with the upgraded speaker package or similar options, but I don't think I'll ever obsess about in car entertainment as much as I do with 2 channel audio at home.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

Hi Confused--that's exactly my scenario.

Standard car stereo, old iPod, been working for 13 years.

While I appreciate the music in the car, I really save my attention for the driving and the road.

To that end I've ordered a new car--slightly better stereo, MUCH better car (now 25% the value of my house!) that will be fun and exciting to drive. I passed by the two optional upgraded car stereo systems because my attention will still be on the driving and the road.

Besides, when I really listen at home I close my eyes--definitely not recommended while driving.

Greg

Hi Confused--that's exactly my scenario.

Standard car stereo, old iPod, been working for 13 years.

While I appreciate the music in the car, I really save my attention for the driving and the road.

To that end I've ordered a new car--slightly better stereo, MUCH better car (now 25% the value of my house!) that will be fun and exciting to drive. I passed by the two optional upgraded car stereo systems because my attention will still be on the driving and the road.

Besides, when I really listen at home I close my eyes--definitely not recommended while driving.

Greg

Sometimes when I'm listening to music I like to throw frantic shapes in the air after drinking unfeasible amounts of vodka redbull. I'm thinking this is also best avoided when driving.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

the top OEM car audio systems do things the aftermarket cannot touch - HK and some others have been attracted to the car audio market and have engineered some systems about as good as it can get

OTOH, you could select a car based on its function as a wheeled land vehicle...