IGNORED

SUCKS ==> HDTracks: Adele - Skyfall (Single) 96kHz/24bit

My family loves this song. They are not interested in my audiophile longings and my system. Was very excited and bought this single from HDTracks to impress them. Daughter walked off in the middle of the song. Wife commented - it sounds better in the car. I was of the same opinion. Seriously I thought something has gone wrong with the setup - switched to some reference recording - system was alright.

Yup it was just $3 - usually I would not give a damn - It was the first time I ever mourned the loss of a $3. I think I felt cheated - I would have rather given that money away to a homeless person. What a waste!

Hopefully HDTracks will review new material before putting it up on their website to sell.

I love Computer Audiophile and feeling weird that my very first post is a rant.

It's a highly compressed track better suited to ear buds and portable players; it's unfortunate but all too common.

Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Metrum Hex NOS DAC w/Upgraded USB Module-2, UpTone Regen Amber, Pass Labs INT-30A Amplifier, B&W 802 Diamond Speakers, Shotgun Bi-wire Kimber 4TC Cables. Headphone setup: Burson Soloist Amp, Audeze LCD-3 Headphones.

Adele's stuff is highly produced and quite compressed precisely to sound best as most people will listen. It does not IME make particularly impressive audiophile demo material.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Adele's stuff is highly produced and quite compressed precisely to sound best as most people will listen. It does not IME make particularly impressive audiophile demo material.

+1. As much as I like Adele I have never played any of her music on my reference system, it just sounds terrible. Such a shame.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Its best to buy the DVDs and extract the music from that.

Are you saying the DVDs are mastered with less compression than the CDs because they are compressed as hell also. This is a prime example I believe of a product being marketed and mastered for a particular target user...portable

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
I find that Adele 19, 21 and the single the topic of discussion changed to DSD128 on the fly sounds a lot better, same with Kimbra's Vows.

The compression is still there, but there's less background 'clutter'. Worth a try to those who are disappointed.

Sounds like your resampler works the same way as an Aphex Aural Exciter.

Sounds like your resampler works the same way as an Aphex Aural Exciter.

Ah yes, I remember it well, though not fondly. At least one of Springsteen's albums was produced with its "assistance," because an engineer felt it hearkened back to the "dirty" sound of early rock 'n' roll.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Ah yes, I remember it well, though not fondly. At least one of Springsteen's albums was produced with its "assistance," because an engineer felt it hearkened back to the "dirty" sound of early rock 'n' roll.

I agree. Pretty horrible device. The autotune of its day...

I've used a little bit of Aphex on drum room mics to add a little sheen when recording in a small room, but imagining that on the master channel is giving me fits. Also, I tried to look up what record (and where in the process) the Aphex was used on Springsteen, but all I found was that Aphex has been kind enough to iPhone/Android users to release the "Audio Xciter", which states "Now you can hear your music the way it was meant to sound!"

I've used a little bit of Aphex on drum room mics to add a little sheen when recording in a small room, but imagining that on the master channel is giving me fits. Also, I tried to look up what record (and where in the process) the Aphex was used on Springsteen, but all I found was that Aphex has been kind enough to iPhone/Android users to release the "Audio Xciter", which states "Now you can hear your music the way it was meant to sound!"

Way back not long after Born to Run was released in 1975 I believe I recall reading Jimmy Iovine (now co-principal of Beats with Dr. Dre) saying it was used in the mixing of that album.