IGNORED

Looking to buy sennheiser headphones, suggestions????

Hello everyone! I am new to the forums :D Anyways, I am currently use Bose AE2 Noise canceling headphones and while I do love the quality of these headphones, I have heard that Bose quality is easily dwarfed by Sennheiser. I want to know if this is true and if so what kind of suggestions you guys can give me. I want noise cancellation and over-ear preferably. I just want everything to sound crisp and clear just like my Bose. Looking to speed up to 400$

Thank you :D

Welcome, to CA. You'll likely notice much better sound with Sennheiser. I got the HD 650s and they are wonderful, but maybe over you budget a little and definitely require an amp. They are open though and not really portable or noise canceling.

You can look into the HD 598 for an easier to drive and less expensive option.

The Momentum is supposed to be good for portable.

Your asking about Sennheiser, but look into Audio-technica AD ath700 or 900 for open cans too. Beyerdynamic DT 770 32 ohm version is another I would consider and well within your budget.

Thank you for the suggestions!!!. I looked into the HD 598 and that looks like just about what i would want. It says it has a 3.35mm stereo adapter. Which i assume is the type of generic jack that you plug most headphones into. The price is very reasonable.One thing, do I need an amp to run this?

I think the 598s have the 1/4 plug (bigger) like on home receivers and most amps. You would need the 3.5 m (smaller)adaptor to connect to a computer or iPod. They are 50 ohms so an amp would not be required but may sound better.

You say you like "clean and clear" sound. The 598s are probably a good fit, but don't limit yourself to Senns. They are clean, but lean to the warm and full of body sound. Audio Technicas mentioned above and Grados are clean and clear to me. Years ago I went from Bose triports to Grado SR 80 and they knocked my socks off! I'm not familiar with the AE2.

I still love my Grados for rock, and Senns for jazz, vocals, and acoustic.

Again, all these are open and won't provide noise cancellation. The beyerdynamics are closed.

I don't mean to give you too many other options. I just see your comment about the sound you like and think there are other good ones to consider. Maybe others will chime in. Including you music preferences may help with recommendations too.

Have fun!

You say you like "clean and clear" sound. The 598s are probably a good fit, but don't limit yourself to Senns. They are clean, but lean to the warm and full of body sound.

I still love my Grados for rock, and Senns for jazz, vocals, and acoustic.

Including you music preferences may help with recommendations too.

Have fun!

+1

I have the 280s (closed) & 600s (open) both are warm and lush, perhaps not the last word in transparency but I don't think that is their forte. They are wonderful at what they do.

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

Thank you for the suggestions!!!. I looked into the HD 598 and that looks like just about what i would want. It says it has a 3.35mm stereo adapter. Which i assume is the type of generic jack that you plug most headphones into. The price is very reasonable.One thing, do I need an amp to run this?

The 598s are really great. I have the very similar 595 and they are top notch in their price range, plus extremely comfortable, you can wear them for hours without noticing.

However, I only strongly recommend it for home use. For travelling they are a bit bulky, plus its standard plug is indeed the regular 6.3 plug, with a 3.5 adapter for Iphone & co (which makes a very big plug in total). And finally they are open, so really not noise cancelling and your seat neighbor on a plane wouldn't be happy either.

Hello everyone! I am new to the forums :D Anyways, I am currently use Bose AE2 Noise canceling headphones and while I do love the quality of these headphones, I have heard that Bose quality is easily dwarfed by Sennheiser. I want to know if this is true and if so what kind of suggestions you guys can give me. I want noise cancellation and over-ear preferably. I just want everything to sound crisp and clear just like my Bose. Looking to speed up to 400$. Thank you :D

The AE2 are *not* noise canceling. Noise isolating perhaps. The reason the Senns are better than Bose in large part is because Senn uses real damping and other resonance treatments in their earcups - things that cost money and add weight, while Bose (as far as I know) uses EQ chips to balance the sound, which makes for a rougher grainier sound.

The Momentum On Ear with a treble boost is the best sound I have heard below $800 USD next to the B&O H6, which is the best I've heard in that price range. The H6 needs no EQ to sound its best, but the MOE does. If you're not OK with EQ, then disregard the MOE - the H6 sounds perfect for your needs.