IGNORED

Lumin - a cheap chineese copy ?

Elberoth

I just found this image on another forum, showing Linn Klimax next to Lumin player. I have to say, that my eyes have opened wider than ussual.

It seems that Lumin have copied everything from a basic housing idea (a block of aluminium with milled compartments for each board, removable lower section, the small 'roof' that hides the cables, etc) down to the smallest engineering details - just look how the rear panel is attached !

They even use the same Lundahl transformers !

Lumin_KDS_copy.jpg

I have to say I'm disgusted. Chineese industry is renowed for coping stuff (you can even buy a copy of a BMW X3 in China) but those kind of practicies so far have been largely absent from our hobby.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

I mean, you could either build the cabinet the traditional way or go for a milled cabinet out of a big chunk of solid aluminum. If you DO go the milled alu way, then there is NO way you can avoid "block of aluminium with milled compartments for each board, removable lower section, the small 'roof' that hides the cables, etc) down to the smallest engineering details". I dont think milled compartments and neccesary routing would classify as copying.

So I don't agree that the Lumin is a cheap copy, and I do know a cheap chinese copy when I see one. Noone would even remotely mistake these products for each other.

Yay!

I agree that there are multiple of products that use cabinets milled from a solid block of aluminium.

Lumin however, has copied the Linn cabinet down to the smallest engineering details (just see how the rear panel is attached on both units !).

Adam

Be generous... LUMIN was inspired after looking at a Linn Klimax...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Yeah ... and so was Mistral with their SAG-500 speakers ...

9447_0.jpg

And BTW - Linn's Kinsky software recognises Lumin as their own player ... so they have probably copied part of Linn's software as well.

Adam

Look at the Mistarl's drive units ... not really a copy ;)

And if you buy Lumin, you next step may be the Shuanghuan CEO:

chinese_bmw_580.jpg

(not really the BMW X5 copy ;) )

Adam

RE Linn software: as its open source they can't complain.

Oh:Overview - OpenHome

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Don't really have any problem with them copying the basic setup. It doesn't really matter. The 2 items are not identical, and capabilities are even slightly different. In oter words, the Lumin isn't a "cheap knock off", so I don't see why they would be required to re-invent the wheel for their product.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

It is not about reinventing the wheel. It is about copying someone else solutions and time needed for proper R&D. Someohow Ayre, Boulder and lots of other companies also making their stuff from milled blocks of aluminium were able to come up with their own designs.

Lumin could have invested his time and money and come up with his own solution too. Instead - they decided it is cheaper to steal someone else work.

I think that some people have a problem with understanding that stealing IS NOT right. Even if it is only someone els work and/or intelectual property. For them, stuff like this is probably also OK:

b88d4fd254239f1e28840587bfaa83361.jpg

After all - 'the 2 items are not identical, and capabilities are even slightly different'.

I beg to differ.

Adam

Copying isn't right... What is debatable is if LUMIN have copied anything from Linn.

As I say I think you could say LUMIN have been inspired by Linn, but unlike the car examples they really don't look the same.

As for capabilities, the processor - DAC interface must be different as the LUMIN supports DSD.

Eloise

It is not about reinventing the wheel. It is about copying someone else solutions and time needed for proper R&D. Someohow Ayre, Boulder and lots of other companies also making their stuff from milled blocks of aluminium were able to come up with their own designs.

Lumin could have invested his time and money and come up with his own solution too. Instead - they decided it is cheaper to steal someone else work.

I think that some people have a problem with understanding that stealing IS NOT right. Even if it is only someone els work and/or intelectual property. For them, stuff like this is probably also OK:

b88d4fd254239f1e28840587bfaa83361.jpg

After all - 'the 2 items are not identical, and capabilities are even slightly different'.

I beg to differ.

Eloise

---

My understanding is that the Lumin is indeed a copy of the Linn Klimax DS. Except for, perhaps, the power supply. Both use a dual mono circuit topography with 2 Wolfson DAC chips, output stages utilizing OPA 1632 opamps, and the same Lundahl signal coupling transformers. I would not be surprised if Lumin also used the exact same values for the caps in their analog stage output filter, but cannot read the values in the pictures which have been published. I believe Linn runs a proprietary up sampling algorithm, I wonder if Lumin reversed engineered that as well?

At least they copied something which sounds pretty good!

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

My understanding is that the Lumin is indeed a copy of the Linn Klimax DS.

With such a statement - can you give a reference for where your "understanding" comes from? Is this anything more than forum/internet chat?

Except for, perhaps, the power supply. Both use a dual mono circuit topography with 2 Wolfson DAC chips, output stages utilizing OPA 1632 opamps, and the same Lundahl signal coupling transformers. I would not be surprised if Lumin also used the exact same values for the caps in their analog stage output filter, but cannot read the values in the pictures which have been published. I believe Linn runs a proprietary up sampling algorithm, I wonder if Lumin reversed engineered that as well?

I believe Lumin missed out the FPGA with upsampling algorithm.

I really think you need to be very careful when accusing someone of plagurism. If it uses the Open Source software Linn developed, well then they are free to do that. It doesn't even copy every feature of the Linn firmware as (afaik) there is no multi-room streaming available and doesn't support Songcast. Really all you can say is LUMIN saw a market (Linn's streamers) and took inspiration and have marketed (agressively) to Linn customers (and potential customers).

At least they copied something which sounds pretty good!

Thats true!

Eloise

Eloise

---