IGNORED

24bit/96KHz Analogue To Digital Convertor

I am looking to buy a high quality USB powered ADC device supporting 24bit 96KHz analogue to digital conversion so that I can convert by Vinyl to high quality FLAC files. I am currently using the line in port on my Mac Book Pro and am not happy with the audio quality of the embedded sound card so I would like an off board device to do this instead. When recording with the sound card on the Mac I am regularly hearing scratchy noises, which I initially assumed was because of a worn stylus, but when I listen to it directly from the mixer, those scratchy noises were not there, so the conclusion is, this is as a result of the A to D conversion going on in sound card as they are not present in the source. I would be interested to hear what products anyone can suggest to support this, thanks.

Without knowing the price limit, you might go as low as the TC Electronic Impact Twin. It is not USB, it is FW.

There are mic preamps to allow for Low Output Moving Coil cartridges. They work very well.

The clocking used is very high quality. Weiss uses the TC clock scheme.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

You might also want to check out Metric Halo. If you only need 96 kHz, you can use the 2882. It is on sale until 9/15 as well.

I have been very pleased with the results from my LIO-8.

If 96 kHz is the top rate desired, don't forget the ULN-2 also -- assuming the goal is transparency (as opposed to a converter that "enhances detail" or makes everything sound "silky smooth").

And don't forget the software (MIO Console) that comes with all Metric Halo's hardware. Its "Record Panel" section is the most transparent recorder I've ever used, regardless of format or price. The same software allows for RIAA decoding that will put most phono preamps to shame. A turntable can be plugged directly into low level inputs, RIAA decoding applied in software and the result captured in the record panel (say, as 24/96 .aif -- or any of a number of other formats). To me, this is a price-no-object setup that is relatively cheap. (I'm partial to the ULN-8/LIO-8 at 192k but for 96k rates, in my opinion, nothing, at any price, is going to match this.)

I've owned all of their hardware (and software -- had my ULN-8 a few years before they went public) and I've not heard anything as transparent yet. I've told the designer they'd get more attention in the audiophile world if they switched to 3/8" thick faceplates and tripled their prices. ;-}

While not widely known in the audiophile world, this company is a gem, from their products to their service.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

The Soundkeeper | Audio, Music, Recording, Playback

Barry Diament Audio