IGNORED

Advice: DAC for Macbook pro retina

Hello, i want to improve audio quality go my macbook because i listen a lots of lossless music. I want to buy a DAC which can connect with my radial JBL speaker and my home system ( amplifier). Can you advice me the way of connect between my mac and DAC! i found that we have have two ways: toslink and usb! which will be give the best quality thanks! I have plan to use my DAC at home so wall power supply should be the best! thanks

Hello, i want to improve audio quality go my macbook because i listen a lots of lossless music. I want to buy a DAC which can connect with my radial JBL speaker and my home system ( amplifier). Can you advice me the way of connect between my mac and DAC! i found that we have have two ways: toslink and usb! which will be give the best quality thanks! I have plan to use my DAC at home so wall power supply should be the best! thanks

For me the question was the opposite! What is the best computer to be connected to my DAC Weis 202 using FIREWIRE. Don't forget this network technology. Apple has had it on board and now converter from their new Thunderbold interface to Firewire are available. Firewire is THE standard in professionel audio studios.

Digital Sources: MacBook 8GB / 512GB internal SSD, iTunes 12.0.1.26, OS X 10.10 El Capitan, Amarra Symphony iRC 3.0.3 and Pure Music 2.0, Weiss DAC 202 Firewire, Creek Destiny CD,

Analog Sources: Transrotor FatBob Turntable with SME M2-9 tonearm and Benz ACE-L MC cartridge

Preamplification: McIntosh C500T Tube preamplifier; Clearaudio Balance+ Phono preamplifier (balanced);

Power amplifier: McIntosh MC452 Stereo

Loudspeaker: B&W 802 Diamond

Cables:

AC: Audioplan power conditioning and 5x Audioplan Power Cable, 1 Shunyayta power cable, 1 Audio Pro power cable

Kimber KS 1130 XLR between Phonostage and pre-amplifier, Speakercable Kimber 3033 incl. Kimber BiFocal Bi-wiring- adapter, Audiopro Advanced Listening 3 XLR, 1 digital SPDIF cable CD to DAC, Firewire MacBook to DAC Kubala-Sosna,

Accessories: room treated with accoustic elements from r-t-f-s, Hannl Mera Vinyl Record Cleaner; 5x bFly Audioabsorber, Creative equipment rack

Both work, but optical SPDIF toslink is limited to 24/96, and a well done USB implementation (which is not always the case) can sound better.

SPDIF might also have technical problems to tell the DAC the bit depth and frequency automatically. With USB and Firewire this is no problem from a technical point of view.

Digital Sources: MacBook 8GB / 512GB internal SSD, iTunes 12.0.1.26, OS X 10.10 El Capitan, Amarra Symphony iRC 3.0.3 and Pure Music 2.0, Weiss DAC 202 Firewire, Creek Destiny CD,

Analog Sources: Transrotor FatBob Turntable with SME M2-9 tonearm and Benz ACE-L MC cartridge

Preamplification: McIntosh C500T Tube preamplifier; Clearaudio Balance+ Phono preamplifier (balanced);

Power amplifier: McIntosh MC452 Stereo

Loudspeaker: B&W 802 Diamond

Cables:

AC: Audioplan power conditioning and 5x Audioplan Power Cable, 1 Shunyayta power cable, 1 Audio Pro power cable

Kimber KS 1130 XLR between Phonostage and pre-amplifier, Speakercable Kimber 3033 incl. Kimber BiFocal Bi-wiring- adapter, Audiopro Advanced Listening 3 XLR, 1 digital SPDIF cable CD to DAC, Firewire MacBook to DAC Kubala-Sosna,

Accessories: room treated with accoustic elements from r-t-f-s, Hannl Mera Vinyl Record Cleaner; 5x bFly Audioabsorber, Creative equipment rack

SPDIF might also have technical problems to tell the DAC the bit depth and frequency automatically. With USB and Firewire this is no problem from a technical point of view.

Are you speaking from experience or theory? If so, can you give examples, it would be useful for people to know. Personally I have had no issues with this (using an old DACMagic), and have not seen any reports anywhere, ever, of a SPDIF DAC not recognising the bit depth and frequency of the input.

So, anyone can recommend some DAC to pair with my macbook! DAC should be about $300 Thanks

The Meridian Explorer would be worth a try, should be about that price. I have one, and am very pleased with it. If you like the idea of small, portable, with headphone output, then you may want to consider the Dragonfly as well. I have not tried one, but it's a little cheaper and seems to offer a slightly different sound to the Explorer. Horses for courses. Meat and poison. Etc.

The AudioQuest Dragonfly is one that should be considered. It is a great price point/features/performance combination. I have read positive things about the Meridian also but have no experience with it.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

Hi,

I have just signed up for the Geek (A New USB Awesomifier for Headphones) at Kickstarter. Although designed for headphones it does have a line out that can connect to an amp. It does DSD and high res music files and looks interesting. Of course this does not exist yet so always a risk but the designers have create the top DAC in the world (apparently - I have not heard it ;-).

Anyway just a suggestion - I am no expert on these matters. Good luck with your search :-)

• 5 months later...

If the absolute limit you are willing to spend is $300, then the AudioQuest DragonFly is hard to beat at the $149 price for version 1.2. The Merdian Explorer has a different sound, and will accept higher resolution files. I hesitate to call it better though.

I have both and I much prefer the sound of the DragonFly on my MacBook pro (non Retina) - especially when playing back rebook quality material.

You might want to try and get a listen to both of them though- you may find you prefer one over the other.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein