IGNORED

What is the best USB powered DAC?

I've been looking at a DAC I can use for travel.

It needs to be something I can drop into my business bag so I'll have no checked luggage although it doesn't have to be thumbdrive sized.

While I suspect few if anyone on this site has heard every usb powered DAC offering, I'm sure there are plenty of opinions. I currently have the Hiface and have heard Meridian's Director, but feel I can do better (no insult intended to the Hiface and Director owners out there).

I've been looking at Resonnence Labs Concero HD, and others.

Thoughts?

Extra credit for DSD capability and double extra credit for double DSD.

Thanks,

Joel

• 4 weeks later...

The DIrector is not a headphone DAC to be carried around, it's a two input (using as a USB DAC) for a more permanent system since it has 2 RCA outs and no headphone out. But the Explorer is the headphone version, but it doesn't up-sample 16/44 like the Director.

Light Harmonic is coming out with a headphone DAC that's supposed to go to 384. if that's what you want. I think they are planning on $300 for the thing. I haven't heard it, but I'm sure it sounds great since they make the DaVinci DAC, but unfortunately you can't drop the DaVinci in your business bag.

System consists of Late 2012 iMac, i5, 1TB Fusion drive, 16GB RAM, Drobo Mini w/4-256GB SSD, MIT StyleLink USB Plus, MIT CVT Terminator 1 Bi-Wire, Totem Mani-2 Signature, Bel Canto C5i. I go back and forth between Pure Music, Audirvana, Bit Perfect, Amarra as they all have features I like. I like to mix it up from time to time. :-)

I have a Resonessence Concero HD which I have owned for about a month and really like it. However it is not a headphone amp. I use it into powered speakers through RCA interconnects. The Concero HP is a headphone amp variant with a digital output and should also sound very good. They are both small enough to drop into your carry on bag or laptop case.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

I have a Resonessence Concero HD which I have owned for about a month and really like it. However it is not a headphone amp. I use it into powered speakers through RCA interconnects. The Concero HP is a headphone amp variant with a digital output and should also sound very good. They are both small enough to drop into your carry on bag or laptop case.

I've had the Centrance Dacport for 3 years. Unbelievably well built (I've dropped it a couple times and no problem) and great sound. Very portable. I take with me always with phones. Great support from Mike Goodman, CEO.

MG555

To the OP:

DSD128 can do with Korg DS-DAC-10 it's a little bulky to put in backpack though, YMMV. It's bus powered, however a little anemic on bass at times, but if you feed it PCM2DSD from Jriver, it sounds pretty darn cool.

From Oct-25-2013 (ex Japan), Sony PHA-2, DSD128 includes a battery for the HP amp. It's about the size of an iphone, but double the thickness.

I have the PHA-1 which maxes out at 96fs, it's not bad for what it does, but the PHA-2 with DSD would be better (optimistically).

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Funcionality in spades, they seem to have all covered...let's see how it works sonically.

I would love to test one..

FWIW, I gave the HiFi-M8 a good listen at T.H.E. Show Newport, fed by an iPod Touch and driving UERMs. It was OK, but didn't woo me away from my Fostex HP-P1.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant