IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

Has anyone compared the sound quality of the MC3+ to the MC-3+USB? Chris, of Mutec, tells me that the power supply is completely different, and I realise of course that ther is a USB module involved. ARe there any other differences?

I have the non-USB version, and would love to mod it to become sonically as good as the USB version. Limited funding means I can only do it as a DIY job.....Anyone got any advice please? Thank you, David

The marketing material I read says the MC-3+USB is bi-directional.  Does that mean an ADC can be hooked up to the AES input, and the USB selected as an output to stream the digital to your computer for needle drops?   

Thanks in advance to anyone who had tried this and can confirm it works.

16 hours ago, GregCA said:

The marketing material I read says the MC-3+USB is bi-directional.  Does that mean an ADC can be hooked up to the AES input, and the USB selected as an output to stream the digital to your computer for needle drops?   

Thanks in advance to anyone who had tried this and can confirm it works.

This was discussed a page ago. The answer is: yes. https://www.mutec-net.com/artikel.php?id=1461772015 

HQplayer - NAA - Devialet D-800 - YG Acoustics Carmel + dual ELAC sub-2090

6 minutes ago, zoltan said:

This was discussed a page ago. The answer is: yes. https://www.mutec-net.com/artikel.php?id=1461772015 

Hi Volton,

I scoured the Internet and saw posts that said is was possible to send USB to the computer, but I could not find any confirmation from someone who tried it and used that feature.  The manuals from Mutec did not show the setup for a recording device in Windows, only audio out. 

When I found this thread I read several pages starting from the beginning and tried a search within the thread.  Too bad I did not start from the end and work back.  I appreciate you pointing me to the discussion on the previous page. 

The ability to send digital via USB back to your computer is huge.  You can select an ADC with any digital out, connect it to the MC-3+ USB, and stream the digital to your computer via USB for needle drops.  With re-clocking the source should sound even better.

Greg

Question re operation of Mutec MC-3+ USB.

From p20 of the user manual under :

"»INTERN« & »RE-CLK«

The »INTERN« and »RE-CLK« LEDs will light up when »RE-CLK« mode is selected; indicating that the re-clocking mode based on the internal clock oscillator is now active. As a factory default, »USB-PCM« will be selected as the first available audio reference in the »REFERENCE« menu (both the »WCLK« and »1-10.0M« LEDs are illuminated)."

When set up this way I never get the 2 LEDs illuminated as above - it always goes to the top 3 LEDs  illuminated together - WCLK,  1-10.0M, and S/P-DIF.  Toggling the SELECT key only cycles through 4 available audio references, not 5 as stated in the manual.  Plays USB-PCM ok, haven't tried USB-DSD-Dop.  May be this is by design and the manual needs updating.  Perhaps someone from Mutec, if monitoring this thread, could comment.

thanks

1 hour ago, Alvantri said:

Plays USB-PCM ok, haven't tried USB-DSD-Dop.  May be this is by design and the manual needs updating.  Perhaps someone from Mutec, if monitoring this thread, could comment.

thanks

Can't answer the first part of the question, but the MC-3+USB all native DSD is converted to PCM internally. As for DoP, it might just work, your DAC needs to accept DoP on say AES3 or RCA S/PDIF.

Then again, DoP might be come unglued when the stream is re-clocked and can't find the right frame.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

4 hours ago, One and a half said:

Can't answer the first part of the question, but the MC-3+USB all native DSD is converted to PCM internally. As for DoP, it might just work, your DAC needs to accept DoP on say AES3 or RCA S/PDIF.

Then again, DoP might be come unglued when the stream is re-clocked and can't find the right frame.

I think DoP/DSD is also converted to PCM if it is fed through USB. Am I wrong? As far as I know, DSD put through is possible on s/pdif and AES/EBU inputs. 

As for Alvantri's question. I think the manual that you quoted from is for the previous firmware. The dealer's demo piece I had for a few days followed that illumination pattern but mine with the latest firmware is different as you described.

HQplayer - NAA - Devialet D-800 - YG Acoustics Carmel + dual ELAC sub-2090

My understanding is that the MC3+USB will only output PCM, irrespective of input.  This is a quote from Mutec's Julian David earlier in this thread:

The MC-3+USB does not pass through DSD64 without converting to PCM as this would either require re-clocking the native DSD signal or disabling the re-clocking stage entirely. If we were to disable the re-clocking, then there wouldn't really be a benefit to having the MC-3+USB in the chain.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

• 2 weeks later...

I need some informed thinking here please, guys....

Anyone up for it?

If I connect an old but very reputable CD Player's 44.1kHz digital output via SPDFI Coaxial, into either an MC-3+ or an MC-3+USB, then finally via SPDIF Coaxial or Optical into a Naim nDAC's input, will I get the full benefits of upsampling, jitter reduction and reclocking. As far as I understand it, because neither my Krell CD Player nor my Naim nDAC have sockets for connecting just a clock cable to, all the reclocking will have to take place within the MC-3+ or MC-3+USB, I think....

Am I right about this please? 

And finally, would the MC-3+USB give me significantly better results than the bog standard MC-3+ ?

Thank you

2 minutes ago, vintageaxeman said:

I need some informed thinking here please, guys....

Anyone up for it?

If I connect an old but very reputable CD Player's 44.1kHz digital output via SPDFI Coaxial, into either an MC-3+ or an MC-3+USB, then finally via SPDIF Coaxial or Optical into a Naim nDAC's input, will I get the full benefits of upsampling, jitter reduction and reclocking. As far as I understand it, because neither my Krell CD Player nor my Naim nDAC have sockets for connecting just a clock cable to, all the reclocking will have to take place within the MC-3+ or MC-3+USB, I think....

Am I right about this please? 

And finally, would the MC-3+USB give me significantly better results than the bog standard MC-3+ ?

Thank you

According to https://www.naimaudio.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/files/naim_dac_august_2009.pdf, the Naim DAC overrides the clocks of a connected transport (CD Player, Mutec, etc.) with its internal clocks. Thus, it is not clear that adding a MC-3+ (or a MC-3+ USB) to your chain will bring an improvement. You'll have to try it out by yourself, I am afraid (if you do so, please, report your findings). Thomann offers a 30 days money back guarantee (of which I have taken advantage to test the MC-3+ USB). I would not consider the MC-3+ and go directly for the MC-3+ USB.  

1 hour ago, nbpf said:

According to https://www.naimaudio.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/files/naim_dac_august_2009.pdf, the Naim DAC overrides the clocks of a connected transport (CD Player, Mutec, etc.) with its internal clocks. Thus, it is not clear that adding a MC-3+ (or a MC-3+ USB) to your chain will bring an improvement. You'll have to try it out by yourself, I am afraid (if you do so, please, report your findings). Thomann offers a 30 days money back guarantee (of which I have taken advantage to test the MC-3+ USB). I would not consider the MC-3+ and go directly for the MC-3+ USB.  

Even though I won’t be using the USB input? Are there significant differences between the non-USB and USB versions  other than the actual USB capability?

1 hour ago, vintageaxeman said:

Even though I won’t be using the USB input? Are there significant differences between the non-USB and USB versions  other than the actual USB capability?

I seem to remember that the question has been raised in this forum and that there was some consensus that the differences are not limited to the presence of the USB interface in the MC-3+ USB. But I have not myself looked into the non-USB version in detail, I was mainly interested in the USB to S/PDIF conversion. You could still try the MC-3+ USB: if it does not bring a significant improvement to your CD player then you are done. If it does, you can still decide to test the non-USB version if you think that you will not need the USB interface in the future.  

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone. 

I have a question:

1)mutec clock is perfectly matchable with Gustard X20U DAC ti obtain the full potential?

2) it’s really so important the I2S output-input? Gustard X20U has i2s input but mutec hasn’t I2S output. 

It is better a mutec connecet via usb or coaxial or another reclocker connected in i2s?

• 2 months later...
On 11/2/2017 at 9:34 AM, Kritpoon said:

I just converted my MC-3+ USB to use linear power supply (UpTone LPS-1 set @5V) and have been listening for a few days now. I found MC-3+ USB with LPS-1 gives nice improvement in clarity, added fluidity and musicallity. So far so good, no problems at all. IMHO very well worth the time and effort!

Can you link to the directions to perform this mod? It'll be greatly appreciated.

• 2 months later...

I wonder if anyone has a similar setup:

Nativ Vita -> Mutec 3+ -> Active speakers 

(AES all throughout).

Does the Mutec contribute anything to the sound? I understand newer devices wouldn’t benefit much from re-clocking. 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

I am running Vita (highly recommended!) using AES output to Mutec 3+, to Schiit Yggdrasil DAC (highly recommended), to PrePro, to Amps, to Salk Sound tower speakers (highly recommended). The sound is incredible. I have not completed tons of testing to see how much difference the Mutec makes to the overall sound but my impression is that I don't think it makes much difference in my system. The only reason I've left it in the chain is because it solves a different problem. My DAC "clicks" (auto-mute) between songs when there is a break in the signal. The Vita does not yet play "gapless" so I get the clicks and though they are only audible with quiet music playing, they bother me. The Mutec must have a constant output so the DAC does not see breaks between songs like it does when it's connected directly to Vita. No clicks. If Vita starts playing in gapless mode with future firmware updates, I'll likely sell the Mutec.

I have a Mutec 3+ USB and use AES in and Out to my Yggy. I have a REF10 as master clock to it. It has been a long time since I tried it out of my system but I can sure tell when the REF10 is off...

The M3USB reclocks the output of a Focusrite D16 and also sends wordclock to it.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

• 4 weeks later...