IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

Hi there,

Basically this is described starting on page 18 and onwards in the manual. It depends a little bit on how you're using the MC-3+USB, i.e. whether you're using it as a clock or re-clocker, but generally you select a specific input via the reference menu. Most people here will probably use it as a re-clocker and USB interface, so you'd put the MC-3+USB in "RCLK" (re-clock) mode, select one of the inputs via the reference menu (USB-PCM, USB-DSD/DoP, AES3/11, S/P-DIF) and the until will immediately output the re-clocked source at all the available outputs.

Does that help?

Julian

Hi Julian,

I was wondering if the DSD input is auto-detected. Do I have to manually switch every time I switch file format b/w DSD and PCM files? If so, does the unit mute all output when the wrong format is selected?

Thanks for your help!

Pearse, I am considering testing the MC3 + USB as a replacement for my (Teddy Pardo PSU + M2tech hiFace Evo) and between a dedicated fit-PC3 (also powered by a TP PSU) and a Naim DAC. How are you coming along with the MC3 + USB? Any new findings, impressions? Thanks, nbpf

The more I listened I found the gap between the Linear powered Amanero USB on the Big7 was not as far away from the Mutec as I originally thought.

I then decided to try Linear supply to the Mutec and this was a great improvement for me so I have not listened to USB input since.

I really feel Mutec should look at offering a good linear supply instead of the Meanwell supply as I can hear a real good improvement with 6.3v linear feed to the Main Board.

I have obviously scrapped my warranty doing it myself but it was well worth the cost and effort.

Details here if you are interested in dialling the Teddy Pardo down to 6.3v and wiring it into the Mutec. Be warned no comeback if it goes wrong!!!

Tír Na HiFi • View topic - Mutec MC-3+ Smart Clock

Audio PC - Gigabyte H97M-D3H, i7 at 800Mhz, RAM at 800Mhz & PPA OCXO Mobo, Teradak ATX Linear for 20 pin ATX on Mobo, Paul Hynes SR7EHD 12v, 5v & 5v supply on Mobo, Stammheim 12x LT3045's for 1.3v to RAM direct supply, JCat V2 USB Card, WTFPlay Linux Audiophile Player control by MELE F10, Startech LEX to REX on 12v Paul Hynes with 2x SLC cards and out by POE to ISO/Regen, PPA Red USB Cable, Lampizator Big7, Nige design Lifepo4 powered amp, Raidho C1s.

Hello, Julian.

I am interested in converting a DoP signal from spdif to USB to feed the DSD engine in a Lampizator DAC (which only accept DSD via USB). Is this possible with the mc-3?

Also, If the DoP signal is sent out of the mc-3 via USB (rather than spdif), are the higher DoP/DSD streams (128 or 256) possible?

Thank you.

Hi MicJames,

What you're asking for would be a direct USB connection between the MUTEC MC-3+USB and your Lampizator DAC, which unfortunately is not possible. Both devices have a USB slave port, meaning that they need to be connected to a computer where the respective driver takes control and facilitates sending or receiving audio via USB.

Best regards,

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

The more I listened I found the gap between the Linear powered Amanero USB on the Big7 was not as far away from the Mutec as I originally thought.

I then decided to try Linear supply to the Mutec and this was a great improvement for me so I have not listened to USB input since.

I really feel Mutec should look at offering a good linear supply instead of the Meanwell supply as I can hear a real good improvement with 6.3v linear feed to the Main Board.

I have obviously scrapped my warranty doing it myself but it was well worth the cost and effort.

Details here if you are interested in dialling the Teddy Pardo down to 6.3v and wiring it into the Mutec. Be warned no comeback if it goes wrong!!!

Tír Na HiFi • View topic - Mutec MC-3+ Smart Clock

Thanks a lot for the detailed information, I very much appreciated! Best, nbpf

I really feel Mutec should look at offering a good linear supply instead of the Meanwell supply
Acording to my experience, this should be done using some good wires as well, e.g. like this (Paul Hynes psu connected via silver/PTFE):

mutec_mc-3linpsui7s4x.jpg

To my surprise the difference sonicwise was unexpected small.

Using a good isolation transformer in front of the MC-3+ did give a much bigger effect.

ymmv

Ulli

Acording to my experience, this should be done using some good wires as well, e.g. like this (Paul Hynes psu connected via silver/PTFE):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22678[/ATTACH]

Using a good isolation transformer in front of the MC-3+ did give a much bigger effect.

ymmv

Ulli

Ulli, which difference are you referring to? Could you please elaborate? Thanks, nbpf

My MC3 +USB arrived last night and I hooked it up to my Schiit Yggy on AES/EBU. I am running it w/ the stock power supply, but from a dedicated 20 amp outlet. I'm using a REGEN (powered by Uptone Audio JS-2) w/ Curious cables on the USB connection; at this point, AES cable is Blue Jean Cable.

I got to listen for about 30 minutes after hooking it up. Cold, out of the box, the biggest thing I've noticed is that the timing, or rhythm, seems much better now making the music much more involving. It also seems to have improved the blackground...this may be a result of the galvanic isolation on the USB. Mike Moffat (the designer of my DAC) says he prefers the AES/EBU input over USB and I can see why. I agree with Pearse, my system sounds more musical.

My instructions were in English (thanks Bob!) and it is playing all resolution and bit depths with no issues. So far so good!

ChrisG

Bend, OR

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22678[/ATTACH]

ymmv

Ulli

probably should put something like this MAL219691215E3 Vishay / BC Components | Mouser

at the point of 6.3v insertion

Hi Julian,

I was wondering if the DSD input is auto-detected. Do I have to manually switch every time I switch file format b/w DSD and PCM files? If so, does the unit mute all output when the wrong format is selected?

Thanks for your help!

Hi WXY,

Auto-detection between DSD and PCM files will be added with a scheduled Firmware update in early 2016! I'll get back to you on your second question regarding muting the output once I hear back from the developers.

Best regards,

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

Thanks and please let me know. Also, is the unit available in the US? Do I still get warranty if I purchase it from German online store?

Hi WXY,

MUTEC products are distributed in the US by Sonic Distribution. Please contact them to find the nearest dealer: Sonic Distribution - 617-623-5581

The warranty is guaranteed by the manufacturer, so it doesn't matter where you buy, but to avoid any hassle with potential import duties and shipping costs, I'd recommend buying from a dealer in your country.

Best regards,

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

For in the US I got all my Mutec gear from Bob Reardon of Sonicus.net. He's a great guy and will answer any of your questions and I believe, because I was on the fence, he said he'd take the units back within a week or two if I didn't like them.... needless to say they are sitting comfortably in my home still and I think they are some of the best 'upgrades' I've done to my system. I have the MC1.2 and 3+ with thoughts of doing multiple 3+s... hee hee.

Bob Reardon

PH: 617-623-5581 ext.111

Cell: 617-596-8132

www.sonicus.net

Perhaps a noob question...but would the Paul Pang V3/V4 USB card with its OCXO clock be similar in theory to using the Mutec between my PC and DAC? Of course which combination sounds better is another topic altogether.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I would rather compare Paul Pang USB with Uptone Regen, because both aim to deliver an immaculate USB signal at their respective output. The MC-3+ re-clocks a S/PDIF (or AES3) signal, the MC-3+ USB adds a USB converter. Which is the better solution (USB or S/PDIF) largely depends on your DAC ...

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra

I would like to hear your thoughts as to why the linear power supply had minimal impact but the isolation transformer had much more.

Well, I can only guess - havn't done any further investigation in extend to listening.

Might be that Mutec did quite a good job by placing the right regulator at the right point...

Avoiding / reducing ground loops is the idea that comes to my mind with respect to isolation transformer - MC-3+ signal grounds are directly connected to protective earth; this requires proper earthing elsewhere which seems not to be the case in my setup.

Cheers

Ulli

I would rather compare Paul Pang USB with Uptone Regen, because both aim to deliver an immaculate USB signal at their respective output. The MC-3+ re-clocks a S/PDIF (or AES3) signal, the MC-3+ USB adds a USB converter. Which is the better solution (USB or S/PDIF) largely depends on your DAC ...

Thank you for the reply. What I don't understand is that both the Regen and Paul Pang usb have clocks in them. What would be the point of sending the music signal through the clock of a Regen/Paul Pang then through the clock of the Mutec right before the dac?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Some people even use multiple re-clocking devices in a chain. The re-clocking can never remove every artifact, and multiple devices have a cumulative effect (something like a filter chain). I use a S/PDIF converter, which applies it's own clock to the signal, and in addition a Mutec MC-3+ before passing the signal into the DAC. The addition is noticeable, but less than the initial introduction of the S/PDIF converter. Signal reconditioning inside the DAC also has an influence on the result: less expensive DACs benefit more from re-clocking.

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra

Thank you for the reply. I understand now. I will trying out the Mutec soon.

Some people even use multiple re-clocking devices in a chain. The re-clocking can never remove every artifact, and multiple devices have a cumulative effect (something like a filter chain). I use a S/PDIF converter, which applies it's own clock to the signal, and in addition a Mutec MC-3+ before passing the signal into the DAC. The addition is noticeable, but less than the initial introduction of the S/PDIF converter. Signal reconditioning inside the DAC also has an influence on the result: less expensive DACs benefit more from re-clocking.

Other components:

Well, I can only guess - havn't done any further investigation in extend to listening.

Might be that Mutec did quite a good job by placing the right regulator at the right point...

Avoiding / reducing ground loops is the idea that comes to my mind with respect to isolation transformer - MC-3+ signal grounds are directly connected to protective earth; this requires proper earthing elsewhere which seems not to be the case in my setup.

Cheers

Ulli

Thank you. that was helpful as what you say makes sense but I wouldn't have thought of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Some reports where given in the german aktives-hoeren forum - they all prefer the usb version compared to the first MC-3+.

You might know Karl-Heinz Fink (Fink Audio Consulting) - his statement:

"The MC-3+USB is really great! The best thing is that it’s not hard to pick out sonic differences at all. They are immediately present as soon as the device has been inserted into the signal chain. Both my Marantz NA11 and the Auralic Vega clearly sounded better with the MC-3+USB feeding their digital inputs. I would prefer if the USB interface wouldn’t have to be manually switched between receiving PCM or DSD/DoP signals, but once this get’s taken care of in a future software update, I really have no reservations at all. This is a very well designed piece of equipment - well done!"

hth

Ulli

Me too! received my MC3+USB mid December. Very, very happy.

Main: 2x2TB Ext HDD/Mac Mini 2.3 GhZ core i5 + Uptone MMK & Teradak LPS/Roon/Ethernet LAN/Uptone Audio EtherRegenr/.5M Supra CAT8/SoTM sMs200-ULTRA NEO + SBooster BOTW P&P Eco MkII/Curious cable .2M/UpTone Audio ISORegen + SBooster Ultra/Curious cable .2M/Mutec MC3+USB/DH Labs Silver sonic D110 AES/Genelec 7370A+ 2 x 85351s running GLM 3.1 with wireless remote.

Office: 4TBHDD/MacBookPro/Audirvana /.25M AQvox USB/UpTone Audio ISORegen with SBooster Ultra/.25M Moon Audio Silver dragon USB/Chord Hugo2/.25M Moon Audio Silver dragon phono/Rogue Audio Sphinx 2/Anti-cables level 3/Elac Uni_Fi UB5's on Isoacoustics Apertas/Genelec 7050c Sub.