IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

Hi All,

Just received my MC-3+ USB with 1.1.0 firmware. My source is MacBook Pro (Siera 10.12.3) with Airdirvana Plus 2.6.6. I have a problem of sometime the MC-3+ just stop playing the sound, while the Audirvana is still playing. When I try to stop or pause the music on the Audirvana, the program just freeze. To solve the problem, I turn the MC-3+ off and on again, and the sound comeback again. For the listening session of 2-4 hours, I have to turn the MC-3+ on/off for 2-3 times.

Anyone experiencing the same problem? or known what might have cased it? Thanks

It takes some time for the MC-3+USB to lock onto a signal. In A+ 2nd screen, preferences, down the bottom, increase the time between sample rate changes to at least 5 s to start, then reduce the time settings. I found A+ not very reliable with the Mutec or MPD-3, but OK with the m920 DAC.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

If I set the mR's RoonReady settings to native DSD, I get no sound and loose the pull down menu options in Roon to upsample to DSD. Am I doing something wrong? Or is it a simple case that the Mutec will only accept DoP? I have now tried almost everything I can think of, and it simply does not work. Can it be done?

Cannot help with any Roon settings or Microrendu.

The MC-3+USB can accept either DSD Native to DSD256 or DoP, dunno, you're on Windows, well at least DSD128. DSD is converted to PCM, the highest rate for AES3 and the coax is 176.4kHz which you have right. With V1.1.0 the MC-3+USB detects DSD or PCM and switches the output accordingly. The Mutec does not SRC PCM and will pass through PCM at the source rate. Perhaps try with PCM first get that going reliably, then try with DSD again.

Perhaps give some more time for the Mutec to lock on to the incoming signal a little more.

As an edit to my earlier post. A bit of tinkering and a reboot, and I can indeed run DoP128. So, everything on the DoP side appears correct. However, if I set the mR to accept native DSD, nothing works. So the issue is simple, I can set the mR to accept native DSD, but then Roon looses the DSD options, nothing works.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

It takes some time for the MC-3+USB to lock onto a signal. In A+ 2nd screen, preferences, down the bottom, increase the time between sample rate changes to at least 5 s to start, then reduce the time settings. I found A+ not very reliable with the Mutec or MPD-3, but OK with the m920 DAC.

I have tried it and it work better now. For me the best result is @ 3 sec. Also, I agree that A+ is not very reliable with the MC-3+, the music sometime just mute itself while playing and when I try to tinkle with A+, it just crashed. Maybe I'll try another player. Thank you.

"Its the REF clock that makes it all so good..."

I have tried it and it work better now. For me the best result is @ 3 sec. Also, I agree that A+ is not very reliable with the MC-3+, the music sometime just mute itself while playing and when I try to tinkle with A+, it just crashed. Maybe I'll try another player. Thank you.

I thought it maybe the OS you on Sierra, but for my uses Mavericks is good enough so it's not the OS then. A+ has some very good features, perhaps the tinkering with audio core mode has some surprises which happen. Maybe try an older version of A+, post in the Audirvana thread, many people retain their older versions which are more stable (but have more bugs :( )

I have been trying the new upsampling features in Roon. In my set-up I am running a Windows 10 PC, Ethernet to a microRendu, USB to a Mutec MC3+USB. If I set the mR's RoonReady settings to DoP, then I can send DSD64 to the Mutec, this sends PCM 176.4 to the DAC (a Devialet in my case), everything appears to be as it should be.

If I set the mR's RoonReady settings to native DSD, I get no sound and loose the pull down menu options in Roon to upsample to DSD. Am I doing something wrong? Or is it a simple case that the Mutec will only accept DoP? I have now tried almost everything I can think of, and it simply does not work. Can it be done?

A second question, when running successfully using DoP, I cannot find anyway to set Roon above DSD64, there is no option in the menus for DSD128 for example. Am I missing something?

I'm replying to my own issue because it looks like this one is solved, at least with respect to the Mutec itself. It looks like the issue is in fact with the mR / Linux. Basically there isn't a native DSD patch available at this time for the Mutec MC3+USB on Linux. I'll follow up the Linux patch issue on one of the Sonore threads.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and I have some questions about a particular use of this product.

I'm currently designing a pair of active filtered 3-way speakers. The active filtering is performed by a minidsp nanoDIGI (which unfortunately reclockes everything to 96khz) , and the amplification concists with one full digital amp per channel. The source: Foobar2000 on a pc.

Between the pc and the nanodigi I intend to use a mutec MC-3 + usb.

My question is: Would there be an interest in using an MC-3 + (non-usb) by the outputs of the nanoDIGI, one per channel, before attacking the amps or it would be a waste of money ?

271410MC3.jpg

Hi Lerouge,

difficult to tell w/o any jitter related spec of the respective components...

• how jitter sensitive are the respective inputs
  • how much jitter is generated at the respective outputs

In theory, jitter before the actual conversion into the analog domain doesn't matter; in practise jitter matters on each section in the chain.

The MC-3+ USB is known for very little output jitter (good choice ,-)

The nanoDIGI seems to use quite ordinary clocks - wouldn't expect jitter spec better than MC-3+

_mg_0552.jpg

One might think about using just one (eg. mids only) or two (eg. treble and mids) - it fully depends on how much delay a MC-3+ adds and if that can be compensated (eg. by miniDIGI or by the digital amp).

If you are lucky you'll find some used MC-3+ for a good price (from those having moved to MC-3+ USB ,-).

Keep us informed, pls.

Ulli

Thank you for youre reply modmix ;) and yes, normaly the nanoDIGI can compensate the delay added by the MC-3+.

Now I am telling myself that it is not so simple to see clearly.

A full digital amp also operate a PCM conversion to PWM ... and the clocks used are not really fantastic either ... but there, is not obvious to do something about it...

Reading the various tests about the MC-3 +, I realized that successive reclocking had the advantage of lowering the noise level, thus improving the clarity of the sound message. But, what about when the dac is of a lower quality or, as here, the conversion operated by the chip of the full digital amp ...? Do these last elements not destroy the efforts of the MC-3 +?

I am not sure now of the advantages of such interface (mc-3+) in my use ...

• 1 month later...
On 3/1/2017 at 9:36 PM, modmix said:

The nanoDIGI seems to use quite ordinary clocks - wouldn't expect jitter spec better than MC-3+

So very true, good to excellent clocks are *not* cheap, not only for DDCs but for DACs as well. It seems the cheaper clocks don't do much at all for jitter, perhaps deliberately so to colour the sound output, giving the device its character 'signature' sound.

On 3/1/2017 at 9:22 AM, Lerouge said:

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and I have some questions about a particular use of this product.

I'm currently designing a pair of active filtered 3-way speakers. The active filtering is performed by a minidsp nanoDIGI (which unfortunately reclockes everything to 96khz) , and the amplification concists with one full digital amp per channel. The source: Foobar2000 on a pc.

Between the pc and the nanodigi I intend to use a mutec MC-3 + usb.

My question is: Would there be an interest in using an MC-3 + (non-usb) by the outputs of the nanoDIGI, one per channel, before attacking the amps or it would be a waste of money ?

271410MC3.jpg

Using the MC-3 here should work like this:

Fit a sound card like an RME AES3 into the PC, important to have a WDCLK input.

Output of the RME into a Mutec MC-8.1

Use the three out of four AES3 outputs to drive the Amplifiers.

The MC-3 clock is connected to the RME, MC-8.1 clock inputs

You will need to cable the AES3 outputs to single ended S/PDIF outputs on the amps.

The source application on the PC should split the frequency allocation between the amplifiers. I'm not sure if Foobar can do this, haven't used it for some time. Speaker crossover is no trivial matter. Sending the wrong frequency to the speaker drivers can cause the voice coils to overload.

Balancing each amplifier can be awkward, a poofteenth of a db either way can make a difference to the drivers in the speakers.

Oh yea.. if you haven't looked into a Deqx then I would suggest you do. You can run multiple crossovers and individual drivers.. it has a built in DAC and pre if you want.. speaker and room correction. It's just the thing for people building custom speakers. I spent a lot of time studying them as I wanted to incorporate it into my set up. 

I went with with a JL Audio CR-1 to use with my mains and subs.. although I still may get one for the room/speaker correction.

Has anyone tried the external word clock option with their DAC?

I know a couple other people have the Tascam DA3K, I do too.. my MC3usb should be here in a couple days. I'm interested in trying the word clock with my Tascam.

anyone try?

Just installed my MC3+USB and Holy Crap!! the sonic leap my system just took is real and shocking! This thing is awesome!!! Wow.... I need to adjust my Speakers to take advantage of this. I thought the Singer SU-1 was pretty good.. This is many, many levels past that.

I'm using a WIreworld Silver Starlight USB cable, Then a Gutwire Synchrony 2 SE AES/EBU cable out to my Tascam. I'm waiting for my new RCA cables to arrive.

For example, I'm listing to Fleetwood Mac "Family Man" from Tango in the night @ 192/32 Up-sampled from the remastered 96/24 album.

The space and definition is incredible. I am listening to it like it's the first time. The mid range leanness i thought was because i wasn't dialing in my crossover correctly is gone. There is real weight and body now. My SoundLabs are absolutely humming....

5 hours ago, Miko said:

Just installed my MC3+USB and Holy Crap!! the sonic leap my system just took is real and shocking! This thing is awesome!!! Wow.... I need to adjust my Speakers to take advantage of this. I thought the Singer SU-1 was pretty good.. This is many, many levels past that.

I'm using a WIreworld Silver Starlight USB cable, Then a Gutwire Synchrony 2 SE AES/EBU cable out to my Tascam. I'm waiting for my new RCA cables to arrive.

For example, I'm listing to Fleetwood Mac "Family Man" from Tango in the night @ 192/32 Up-sampled from the remastered 96/24 album.

The space and definition is incredible. I am listening to it like it's the first time. The mid range leanness i thought was because i wasn't dialing in my crossover correctly is gone. There is real weight and body now. My SoundLabs are absolutely humming....

Congradulation. MC-3+ is a great unit. I do recommend to leave it on 24/7, which I do with mine, for best SQ. I found that when powering down the unit, it takes a bit of time for the SQ to reach its optimal point, when warmed up. 

"Its the REF clock that makes it all so good..."

Sure, Mutec MC-3+ USB is quite good but what would the gap with a USB drive connected to a W4S Recovery beetween the drive and the USB interface ?

My config today is : Squeezebox Touch -> USB Curious Cable -> W4S Recovery -> Singxer F-1 -> FDA amplifier and I answer myself if replacing Singxer by Mutec would give better results in this case.

Source : QNAP TS-131, LMS 7.9, Player Digione

Amp+Cables+Speakers : FDA V200, Audioprana Ag Cryo 4 brins, Atohm GT2

I had the Singxer SU-1... using the AES/EBU output was good. More separation and the music quality went up about 25-30%

replaced that With the Mutec and I would say the SQ jumped to 75% better. You know how you read reviewers talk about the "inky black background that the music seems to eminate from"?

It's like the SU-1 was on the edge of the event horizon and the Mutec plunged me squarely down the center of that inky black hole.

This is the first time my computer playback didn't sound like computer playback. I haven't even adjusted my system to fully encorporate the increased resolution and...I just hooked it up.

Zero hours break in... the results are tangible from straight out of the box and on my shelf.

I think I will buy another one or two... I'm that impressed...