IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

Has anyone tried to compare Mutec mc3+ against SOtM dx-USB HD together with the SOtM mBPS-d2 power supply?

The MC-3+USB (perhaps) has galvanic isolation on the USB, accepts DSD256 and re-clocks the S/PDIF-AES3 signals and is also a clock generator. The Sotm has none of these attributes.

If you wish to compare apples to apples on a feature set, the Mutec MC-1.2 USB DDC would be closer to the sotm. No I haven't compared them, but I do have the MC-1.2 and works very well indeed.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! I spent pretty much the whole day reading all 42 pages and i am impressed. I will be placing an order for (2) mc3usb's!! Looking forward to joining in the discussion. I am also very impressed with the fact that Julian is active on this board and can offer factory advice. So Hello everyone!!

Wow! I spent pretty much the whole day reading all 42 pages and i am impressed. I will be placing an order for (2) mc3usb's!! Looking forward to joining in the discussion. I am also very impressed with the fact that Julian is active on this board and can offer factory advice. So Hello everyone!!

You're absolutely welcome. Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you all!

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

Thanks! And I hope everyone had a safe and happy Christmas.

Now that I am going to add this double stack of sonic goodness, it brings up a project I have been neglecting. I would like to get a Mac mini for my computer source and I wanted to try the new music player software from Mark Levision (the man) and his current company Daniel Hertz

https://www.danielhertz.com/master-class-software

Julian, have you any experience with this software? I figure you might or know of someone since ML moved to Switzerland.

One more question that I don't remember seeing as being asked.

Since these only have 1 bidirectional USB port, in theory with 2 stacked, you could use 1 for source input and use the 2nd to output to the DAC.

I do also want to purchase a new DAC, my Tascam was never intended to be my reference. I'm looking at the new R2R linear compensated NOS Holo Audio Spring.

Thank you for your time...

Now that I am going to add this double stack of sonic goodness, it brings up a project I have been neglecting. I would like to get a Mac mini for my computer source and I wanted to try the new music player software from Mark Levision (the man) and his current company Daniel Hertz

Julian, have you any experience with this software? I figure you might or know of someone since ML moved to Switzerland.

Since these only have 1 bidirectional USB port, in theory with 2 stacked, you could use 1 for source input and use the 2nd to output to the DAC.

Hi Miko,

I have not tried the Master Class software so far. Considering the $600 price tag I'm not sure it would really be worth it to me and I'd rather stick with HQPlayer. But that's a personal preference and I haven't heard much about the A+ algorithm (although I suspect some sort of upsampling).

Regarding your MC-3+USB question:

I'm not 100% sure if I interpret your question correctly. The recommended connections would be USB into the first MC-3+USB, then to the second unit via XLR or BNC (AES3id with higher level if possible), and then to your DAC via AES3 XLR or S/P-DIF BNC. There may be subtle differences depending on how the DAC deals with the different signals. What you can't do (but what I suspect you'd like to do) would be to go from the second MC-3+USB to the DAC via USB. This is unfortunately not possible despite the bidirectional USB interface of the MC-3+USB. The reason is that both the MC-3+USB and the DAC are USB slave devices expecting a USB master (i.e. a computer) on the other end of the line.

Hope that helps!

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

Hello,

But you get a "license dongle"!! I mean how many music players can you think of at any price that includes that feature?? I swear if Mark Levison was a Fish and Chips guy in London you'd be paying dearly for lunch.. although I would think the fish would be of the highest fidelity....

In all fairness, yes it is expensive but I thought the digital implementation of the audio palette was intriguing enough to want to try it.

I think I understand now, I was confused with the term bi-directional. I have 2 sources, a pc with JRiver that I would output to the Mutec via USB and a Oppo 103 with the Audio Praise Vanity HD Card that outputs all 8 channels via Spdif.

So I can connect the pc to the 1st MC3 with USB then connect the MC3 to the next MC3 with a BNC Cable. Then AES or whatever you think sounds the best to my Tascam DA3K.

I wanted to try the Holo Spring DAC. So that is why I was wondering about USB output. But then again I don't think it'll matter as Spdif can handle 192.. I can play those high Rez formats and DSD directly from my Tascam.

Thank you...

Hi,

Please I need help to connect the Mutec to a Dangerous Music Source DAC. It's impossible for me to use the AES OUT of the Mutec because already used.

The Source can utilize both AES or SPDIF on an XLR connector.

Does it mean I can use the AES3id OUT (BNC) of the Mutec with 75 ohms cable to the XLR IN of the Source?

What's the difference between AES3id OUT and S/P-DIF BNC OUT?

Can you explain me how to wire this cable?

Thanks.

Hi,

Please I need help to connect the Mutec to a Dangerous Music Source DAC. It's impossible for me to use the AES OUT of the Mutec because already used.

The Source can utilize both AES or SPDIF on an XLR connector.

Does it mean I can use the AES3id OUT (BNC) of the Mutec with 75 ohms cable to the XLR IN of the Source?

What's the difference between AES3id OUT and S/P-DIF BNC OUT?

Can you explain me how to wire this cable?

Thanks.

Hi there,

You certainly have some options: Please refer to pg. 3 of the user manual of the Dangerous Music Source illustrating a couple of ways of how to connect S/P-DIF signals to it. You can either use an RCA to 1/4" adapter or use a 75 Ohms RCA to XLR cable. On the end of the MUTEC MC-3+USB, you can user either the standard S/P-DIF output (labeled #3 on the back) or try the AES3id output (labeled #4 on the back). The AES3id output delivers more level, which is generally good due to the better signal/noise ratio. The included BNC to RCA adapter will work to convert to RCA or you could make a dedicated 75 Ohms BNC to XLR cable. Either way, the cable should be 75 Ohms since that's what the source (the MC-3+USB) will expect. Again, the Dangerous Music manual confirms this.

Also, here are some more useful details on the various formats:

Interfacing AES3 and S/PDIF

Hope this helps!

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

Thanks for your response Julian.

Blue Jeans cable will make for me a BNC to XLR cable in order to use the AES3id output. Cable will be 75 Ohms Belden 1505f with Canare BNC and Neutrik xlr.

It will enable me to test the Source Vs the Forssell MDAC2 with the great Mutec USB interface.

Hi Julian,

you could make a dedicated 75 Ohms BNC to XLR cable.
Best if cable has same impedance transformer (like Neutrik NADITBNC-FX).

Either way, the cable should be 75 Ohms since that's what the source (the MC-3+USB) will expect.
Cable impedance should be watched at to avoid reflections. Reflections tend to alter the signal on the line - this is a good way to increase jitter ,-)

A reflection at cable output (dac input or similar) will superimpose the signal - this should be avoided.

hth

Ulli

more technical stuff can be found here:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellenwiderstand (german version has nice pictures like "Impulse bei offenem Kabelende" - 75R cable at 110R input goes into that direction)

Chart: http://www.mikrocontroller.net/attachment/27288/TDR_Kabelimpedanz_Reflektionstypen.gif

According to Dangerous Music manuals, XLR is not only for AES 110 Ohms but for 75 Ohms too. So, there is no conversion. It's a classic 75 Ohms connection but with a especial connector. Am I wrong?

"They can utilize both AES or SPDIF on an XLR connector. Simply obtain the appropriate cable from your favorite audio

dealer. When connecting to SPDIF coaxial, purchase a high quality 75 ohm RCA - XLR(M) cable and for AES, 110 ohm

(Mogami and Redco both manufacture these). The converter will automatically recognize and lock to either AES or

SPDIF sources".

Of course it's always possible to deviate from standards / conventions - like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF.

While it is quite an easy job to cope with both voltage level ranges at a given interface, I'ld like to learn how an input circuit may have two different impedances at the same time.

Feature: Digital input available on xlr/trs combination connector. Benefit: Use either aes or spdif coaxial, just get a properly wired cable (i.e. rca-xlrm) Tip: spdif = 75 ohms, aes = 110 ohms.
The origin, not the destination, will dictate the use of spdif or aes.

source:
https://images4.static-thomann.de/pics/atg/atgdata/document/specs/source-chop-shop.pdf

While the last statement is true with respect to the voltage level (and some other minor points), it's simply not correct with respect to HF impedance - I'ld would determine the input impedance (note: a simple ohm meter will not work) and select an appropriate cable.hth

Ulli

I do also want to purchase a new DAC, my Tascam was never intended to be my reference. I'm looking at the new R2R linear compensated NOS Holo Audio Spring.

Thank you for your time...

You may want to hold off on this...Roon is coming out with a very big upgrade this month, which, in addition to parametric EQ for each end-point, includes "sample rate conversion to every type of content before it is sent downstream to a direct-connected DAC or over the network to a streamer – yes, from 44.1kHz to 384kHz PCM to DSD128 and DSD256. A choice of SRC filters will allow listeners to season according to taste."

Coming over the hill: the monstrous Roon 1.3 | DAR__KO

ChrisG

Bend, OR

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Since many of MUTEC's customers like to use the MC-3+USB predominantly for computer audio playback from a Mac or Windows PC we have put together a quick start guide for this specific use case. In little more than a single letter page the document guides you through the process as quickly as possible. Many of you who already own the MC-3+USB won't necessarily need it, but I believe it will prove to be very useful for all new customers and anybody interested in the device.

The guide has been added to the operating manual but it is also available as a separate PDF for both Windows and Mac, and in German and English. Of course it is available for free!

Go to https://www.mutec-net.com/artikel.php?id=1483896281&lng=en to learn more and download the PDFs.

Cheers,

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

Hi all,

Since many of MUTEC's customers like to use the MC-3+USB predominantly for computer audio playback from a Mac or Windows PC we have put together a quick start guide for this specific use case. In little more than a single letter page the document guides you through the process as quickly as possible. Many of you who already own the MC-3+USB won't necessarily need it, but I believe it will prove to be very useful for all new customers and anybody interested in the device.

The guide has been added to the operating manual but it is also available as a separate PDF for both Windows and Mac, and in German and English. Of course it is available for free!

Go to https://www.mutec-net.com/artikel.php?id=1483896281&lng=en to learn more and download the PDFs.

Cheers,

Julian

Thanks Julian. Much appreciated. If I may suggest something- a picture tells a thousand words. Perhaps you could put a picture of how the settings should look, with all the right lights lit up. Hard to get it wrong that way.

Need a picture, really? The text is VERY straight forward on what Columns (Mode, Reference, Status) and which LED's are lit for USB usage.

Each column is noted and each LED is noted.

Press MENU to move between COLUMNS and press SELECT to choose which LED's are lit in each column.

- Top (INTERN) and bottom (RE-CLK) LEDs in the MODE column both light up....

- As a result the top three LEDs in the REFERENCE menu should light up...

- The top blue LOCK-LED and the red AUDIO-LED in the STATUS column should now be illuminated... (make sure you are connected to Mutec)

IMO - For clock multipliers, a starting point is with TOP row lit (1x) - FOUR LED's will be lit

If you use USB and yours does not match, press MENU and SELECT to get the proper LED's lit - simple.