IGNORED

Orbiter, Rendu or Direct from Synlogy

Presently, I have a Squeezebox Classic connected by ethernet to my router and my Synology Server also connected to the router by ethernet. The Squeezebox Classic is connected by spdif to a Benchmark DAC1 (no USB), which in turn connects to Atma-Sphere pre and m60s. It is enjoyable, but does not have the presence of my cd.

I prefer to keep things as simple as possible, and I have considered a Rendu, and possibly upgrading to a Benchmark DAC2.

Other than the cost savings, will the Orbiter be a step up or down from the Rendu.

Alternately, could I simply buy a high quality USB Dac and connect it by USB to the Synology NAS (the NAS is close to my music electronics.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Alan

[email protected]

Alternately, could I simply buy a high quality USB Dac and connect it by USB to the Synology NAS (the NAS is close to my music electronics.
Not possible as they are different technologies. USB async DAC input for connecting to computer's USB port for playback from software via USB audio. The USB port on the NAS is for attaching a mass storage unit such as a hard disk drive.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Presently, I have a Squeezebox Classic connected by ethernet to my router and my Synology Server also connected to the router by ethernet. The Squeezebox Classic is connected by spdif to a Benchmark DAC1 (no USB), which in turn connects to Atma-Sphere pre and m60s. It is enjoyable, but does not have the presence of my cd.

I prefer to keep things as simple as possible, and I have considered a Rendu, and possibly upgrading to a Benchmark DAC2.

Other than the cost savings, will the Orbiter be a step up or down from the Rendu.

Interesting that you're considering upgrading straight from a Squeezebox plus Benchmark DAC1 to a Rendu plus Benchmark DAC2! It may be worth auditioning something more middle of the road as a direct replacement for the Squeezebox and get more mileage out of the DAC1. Try out a mainstream hifi seperate network audio player like the Pioneer N-30 at ~$300, with your DAC1, for example.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Thank you for your thoughts.

Alan

[email protected]

Alan, Cebolla is not correct about USB audio output on the Synology NAS and it does support limited USB audio output. Also, consider that the Sonore Rendu and Sonic Orbiter give you flexibility to try different DACs in combination with them since they support SPDIF and USB output respectfully. The Sonore Rendu and Sonic Orbiter would also give you DSD/DoP output should you decide to upgrade to the Benchmark DAC2 HGC series...

Jesus R

Alan, Cebolla is not correct about USB audio output on the Synology NAS and it does support limited USB audio output.
Sorry only considered the general case. It's true some Synology NASs can support USB audio, but also require supporting adapter.

-- Jo Cox

Thank you for your responses.

Assuming I was willing to upgrade to a Benchmark DAC2 which supported both USB and Spdif inputs (I like having the remote and the headphone amp built in) and I went direct from the DAC2 to my Atma-sphere M60s:

1. Is the quality of the sound likely to be close on both the Orbiter and the Rendu, and

2. With all things being equal, and understanding that both are quality products intended for a long life, is one more likely to need less attention in the future than the other over the years. I am becoming more and more of a set it and forget it kind of guy (though I have made an exception for my amps).

Thanks.

Alan

Thank you for your responses.

Assuming I was willing to upgrade to a Benchmark DAC2 which supported both USB and Spdif inputs (I like having the remote and the headphone amp built in) and I went direct from the DAC2 to my Atma-sphere M60s:

1. Is the quality of the sound likely to be close on both the Orbiter and the Rendu, and

2. With all things being equal, and understanding that both are quality products intended for a long life, is one more likely to need less attention in the future than the other over the years. I am becoming more and more of a set it and forget it kind of guy (though I have made an exception for my amps).

Thanks.

Alan

Alan, all things considered...I would recommend the Sonic Orbiter for USB input into Benchmark DAC2.

Jesus R

Alan, all things considered...I would recommend the Sonic Orbiter for USB input into Benchmark DAC2.

Jesus R

Hi Jesus, I have a similar dilemma.

I have a art legato 2, feeding into a emmlabs dac2x.

Which option in your opinion would be better in terms of pure SQ for 16/44.1?

1. sonore orbiter usb-> art legato 2 spdif -> emmlabs dac2x

2. sonore rendu spdif -> emmlabs dac2x

I like it that the rendu is purpose built, but not sure if that is a big enough advantage over the usage of a usb/spdif converter.. so rather intrigued by your answer above, recommending the Orbiter.

Hi Jesus, I have a similar dilemma.

I have a art legato 2, feeding into a emmlabs dac2x.

Which option in your opinion would be better in terms of pure SQ for 16/44.1?

1. sonore orbiter usb-> art legato 2 spdif -> emmlabs dac2x

2. sonore rendu spdif -> emmlabs dac2x

I like it that the rendu is purpose built, but not sure if that is a big enough advantage over the usage of a usb/spdif converter.. so rather intrigued by your answer above, recommending the Orbiter.

Quest, I would be curious to test the Sonic Orbiter via USB into your Art Legato 2 and via USB into your emmlabs dac2x.

Jesus R

Alan, Cebolla is not correct about USB audio output on the Synology NAS and it does support limited USB audio output. Also, consider that the Sonore Rendu and Sonic Orbiter give you flexibility to try different DACs in combination with them since they support SPDIF and USB output respectfully. The Sonore Rendu and Sonic Orbiter would also give you DSD/DoP output should you decide to upgrade to the Benchmark DAC2 HGC series...

Jesus R

The Synology can be used as an MPD server.

Synology Inc. Online Community Forum • View topic - Tutorial on installing MPD on Synology DSM 4.0

I was able to play up to 24/192 directly off the NAS controlled by mPad. It would occasionally stutter when other activities were taking place on the NAS but it did work. I wouldn't replace my PK90 with it but it works in a pinch.

Alan,

All I can say is that I love my Rendu which I run SPIDF > Naim Dac. Jesus has also been super helpful. (Thank you BTW!) Was a big improvement over a mac book pro> Audirvana > Halide Bridge > Dac, both in sound quality and in ease of use/enjoyment factor. I know there are people here who love running audio out of their computer, but for me, getting the mac book out of my living room was a huge improvement. Once I got it set up, I haven't had to mess with it since I got it in May.

• 1 month later...
Actually I got a similar dilema. I wanna replace my sbt/edo with smth of a higher sq pedigree. I's gonna feed nad m51. Would you say that rendu(hdmi) would be the best solution?

I believe the Orbiter would be a better replacement. The Rendu would (afaik) need to be the SPDIF version.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I believe the Orbiter would be a better replacement. The Rendu would (afaik) need to be the SPDIF version.

Eloise

thx for your reply but I heard that nad hdmi is a great way to go(actually I heard it connected with nad m50 streamer, sounded great). Im curious if hdmi in rendu connected with nad wouldnt be the best solution?

thx for your reply but I heard that nad hdmi is a great way to go(actually I heard it connected with nad m50 streamer, sounded great). Im curious if hdmi in rendu connected with nad wouldnt be the best solution?

The NAD M51 HDMI connection is not a strict i2s connection like the PS Audio components etc. - so the Rendu will not work in this kind of setup. I know because I happen to have the Rendu SPDIF/HDMI version and the NAD M51. It sounds fantastic via SPDIF and has sent my PC/USB setup into retirement - amazing and simple product.

PI Audio ÜberBUSS > Synology DS1813+ > TP-Link MC220L > Sonore opticalRendu > Holo Audio Spring DAC L3 > Goldpoint SA1X > Hegel H20 > Salk SoundScape 10's > GIK / PI Audio Group Room Treatments > :)

Thx for the info. Do you think that rendu spdif would be any different from orbiter usb connection. There is quite a difference in price between the two.

I would contact Jesus at Sonore for the run-down, but I do know that the Rendu has no DC-DC converters unlike the Orbiter since it doesn't use a motherboard or anything. Both have different features and positives and negatives depending on what you want. Would be able to use more variants on playback software with the Rendu, instead of just the Logitech Media Server etc. I use jRiver with the Rendu and it's the dream combo for me at the moment.

PI Audio ÜberBUSS > Synology DS1813+ > TP-Link MC220L > Sonore opticalRendu > Holo Audio Spring DAC L3 > Goldpoint SA1X > Hegel H20 > Salk SoundScape 10's > GIK / PI Audio Group Room Treatments > :)