IGNORED

exaSound e18 - e20 - e28 - Info and Experiences Post All Here

Christopher, if possible can you try the e20 with and without your iFi USB Power and report any difference? It is my understanding that the e20 should not benefit from something like this. Its USB power is isolated.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

To all.

As far as an external power supply for the exaSound. I appreciate the suggestions. I am aware of the Teddy P, etc.

So far I have come across the following, in no particular order:

1) Paul Hynes

2) Teddy Pardo

3) Red Wine Audio (Battery Power)

4) Mojo Audio

5) Core Audio Technology

6) KECES

7) Custom HiFi Cables

8) Mains Cables R Us

9) ??? I am sure there are more.

Has anyone tried any from this list (on your DAC or PC/Mac) and what are your thoughts?

Please fell free to add to the list.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

Christopher, if possible can you try the e20 with and without your iFi USB Power and report any difference? It is my understanding that the e20 should not benefit from something like this. Its USB power is isolated.

I own the iFi USB Power and dual conduit USB cable. I feel (to my ears) there is no benefit, doesn't needed. I'm using the WireWorld Starlight USB cable (1 meter), but with the Mini B connector, I don't like adapters that I also tried.

Regarding LPSU, I own the KingRex Mark II and I feel it improves the SQ, but not for a big margin. I'm still waiting for the Paul Hynes (since April...!)

Roch

Roch, thanks.

When you get the Paul Hynes I will be very interested in your feedback. When I get an external PS I would like to get the most bang for the buck. My understanding is that Paul builds the best. But between the long wait and the cost I am also checking for alternatives.

Yea, to me the USB mini adapters with a high end USB cable makes no sense. It needs to be a all in one design if there is to be any benefit at all.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Oh, I meant to add that my e20 MKIII with .082rms clock has finally arrived but my Mac Mini is out for an adjustment in its OS with remote desk top for headless capability. I run both Mac and W8 in boot camp in a headless config. I use my iPad wireless as my monitor. So I need to be able to go from one OS to the other using only the iPad. And I need to be able to do this whether from my system or others.

Right now we can get it to do it with my system. We hope to be able to get it to work were ever I bring the DAC and Mini to.

I hope to have it back in a day or two and then a few days of listening before I report on the .082 clock.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Will do. I'd like to wait until after burn-in. I've read varying estimates on that. Didn't notice any official recommendation from exa. I read 50 hrs. in the TAS review.

Moreover, I'm recovering from embarrassment that I didn't realize that the drivers do not allow me to get sound on my pc except through JRMC or its equivalent. No Spotify, no MOG, no Skype, nothing but rips and downloads through JRMC. Didn't realize that this dac, because of its particular usb driver implementation, is really best suited for use with dedicated music servers. Holy palmface.

I own the iFi USB Power and dual conduit USB cable. I feel (to my ears) there is no benefit, doesn't needed. I'm using the WireWorld Starlight USB cable (1 meter), but with the Mini B connector, I don't like adapters that I also tried.

Regarding LPSU, I own the KingRex Mark II and I feel it improves the SQ, but not for a big margin. I'm still waiting for the Paul Hynes (since April...!)

Roch

Thanks Roch. I recall you posted this before. My guess is I'll have the same result.

To all.

As far as an external power supply for the exaSound. I appreciate the suggestions. I am aware of the Teddy P, etc.

Has anyone tried any from this list (on your DAC or PC/Mac) and what are your thoughts?

Please fell free to add to the list.

I received a Teddy Pardo 12V/2A power supply to use with my e20 recently. I haven't had a chance to do that much listening with it yet, but I am happy to share my initial impressions.

The biggest improvement I've noticed is in imaging and soundstaging. Backgrounds seem blacker, with a more realistic sense of space and greater separation between instruments. The improvement is not subtle - it jumped out at me immediately.

So far, I haven't noticed much, if any, difference in other areas (dynamics, tone, etc.). But, to me, the improvements I have heard justify the cost of the power supply for sure.

I'll report more as I have a chance to listen more.

CAPSv3 Carbon running Jriver -> Audioquest Carbon USB -> Exasound E20 -> Acoustic Zen Silver Reference -> Simaudio W-5 -> Acoustic Zen Satori -> Dynaudio Contour S3.4

hardfour, thanks for the report. You may want to put a 100 or 200 hours on the power supply to get the best out of it. Though I am not sure how much of an improvement will happen there should be some. Please report back as you have more of a chance to hear and more time on the power supply.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Will do. I'd like to wait until after burn-in. I've read varying estimates on that. Didn't notice any official recommendation from exa. I read 50 hrs. in the TAS review.

Moreover, I'm recovering from embarrassment that I didn't realize that the drivers do not allow me to get sound on my pc except through JRMC or its equivalent. No Spotify, no MOG, no Skype, nothing but rips and downloads through JRMC. Didn't realize that this dac, because of its particular usb driver implementation, is really best suited for use with dedicated music servers. Holy palmface.

I thought there was an option on Win to run Mog, Spotify, etc through Jriver?

I am at around 50-60+ hours on the e20 mkIII .082ps now.

DAC's burn-in process is going well.. overall I would say sound is smoothing out nicely without losing detail.

Slight harshness I heard at the beginning with mostly stringed instruments are almost gone and

bottom end is filling in nicely with good amount of heft and texture.

It's been too long since I heard the e20 mkII with .12ps clock so there cannot be any valid comparisons,

but I do feel .082ps portrays soundstage depth slightly better than earlier version.

One example is Erich Kunzel conducting Cincinnati pops orchestra - Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture. Op. 49 (DSD 64X)

I heard this piece countless times on mkII and now I heard about 10 times on mkIII.

At around 14-15 mins. mark there is sound of live cannons blasting away and last few firings were heard from

4-5ft. further away back than I used to remember. But then again I might be wrong since I cannot do a direct a/b.

I will be ordering Teddy Pardo 12/2 within few days..

SR Tesla Plex SE > 8 PS Audio Noise Harvesters > Blue Circle PLC Thigee > HiDiamond P4 > HQ Player > Jitterbug > USB Adapter > Regen > USB adapter > exaSound e20 mkIII (with TeddyPardo PSU) > High Fidelity CT-1UR > Emotiva XPA-1s > OTA Storatos SC > Magnepan 3.6R custom crossover + 2 REL T-7

I thought there was an option on Win to run Mog, Spotify, etc through Jriver?

Here's a quote from Matt at JRMC on the forum, 7/7/13: " I'm not aware of any way to directly access MOG content from another client like MC. I don't think MOG allows it." There is evidently a workaround if you use WASAPI loopback, but you need a default audio device that is different from the one JRMC is using.

The workarounds I've read about on the JRMC forum all involve using loopback and connecting to computer's onboard sound.

Thanks for the update Christopher on the iFi iUSB Power Supply. You and Roch saved me some money and wasted time.

hardfour, have you had a chance to listen to the Teddy Pardo Power Supply in more detail yet?

Regards, Al.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Hi all,

I just purchased a custom e28 with upgraded clock and mini XLR outputs. Waiting for its arrival. I will let you know the results of it after some time spent.

I am however not feeling good about the possible swing and miss that I read earlier on this thread that says the ASIO driver is not useable in any other application except JRiver? You can't use this with PowerDVD etc.?

Unless you have a Mac, JRiver does video and very well. You would not need PowerDVD unless you have 3d blurays i think. Not sure if JRiver supports 3d bluray.

I am on Windows. JRiver doesn't do 3D playback but I have a Panasonic BDT500 for that (or can simply use PowerDVD or TotalTheater).

I am just more concerned with applications not being able to access the ASIO driver of this DAC as I didn't realize it was not supported. I didn't read anywhere that it said this limitation.

JRiver also works as an audio driver. So maybe you can check if you can see JRiver as an audio device on your software of interest. But htpc video use, I would use JRiver as well. It is just as robust on Video as it is on audio and for sure you know it will work with your e28. Let me tell you... Im very jealous.

[h=2]Don't follow me, I am lost too![/h]

- Unknown

Hi. After paying a hefty $105.00 shipping fee for Fedex Int'l Economy, I got hit with another $103.00 bill from Fedex for Customs Duty and Tax. Fedex said that even if I return the dac, I'm stuck with the bill. George at Exasound said this has never happened before but so far has been unable to resolve this. It is on the U.S. end so I have to resolve it myself. Fedex says the fee is basically because the value is over $2K. The reason was determined by a code that I believe Homeland Security generates for customs. That code is 8543.70.9650. I asked Fedex to double check the explanation's match with the code and they verified it.

Thanks to George from ExaSound for 1) reimbursing me the cost of the extra fee and 2) pursuing the problem of changes in codes so that this considerable additional cost will not be incurred by US customers.

Also, it is very important for me to mention that I chose the more expensive option for shipping because of my own hesitancy to use USPS for sensitive electronic equipment. The exa dacs are very well packaged in protective foam and there have been no dacs damaged through shipping to date. The 3-5 day express Canada/USPS service is half the cost of the equivalent/slightly faster Fedex service.

I think the bottom line here is that Exasound took care of its customer. Not only that, the customer service overall has been excellent. I have returned my dac with no problem whatsoever. It was not right for me and my system, but that is a different issue.

My hope is that my concern with customs and shipping costs should in no way undermine any potential customer's confidence that any problems that come up will be dealt with more than fairly.

--Christopher