IGNORED

exaSound e18 - e20 - e28 - Info and Experiences Post All Here

I thought it would be good for people that own or are interested in the exaSound DACs to have central place to post info and their experiences of the exaSound DACs.

To start things off here is an update from exaSound.

exaSound is offering an upgraded clock on the e20 MK III as a "Custom order". The clock upgrade is from .13ps rms to .082ps rms and is a $100 price increase over the e20 MK III ($2,899 to $2,999 CAD). The clock must be ordered at time of purchase of the DAC.

The price of the upgraded clock might increase in the near future so anyone who has an interest should not wait. It is likely to go up.

The clocks from MSB are as follows, .14 and .077 while the exaSound clocks are .13 and .082 and the difference between the two best is just .005. I think this says a lot about the e20 MK III.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

Hi soundrebels.

Pardon, but not sure what you mean by the above post. I just would like to understand your meaning.

But thank you for the link on your review of the e28. I know of several people here in the USA that are interested in that version.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

I thought it would be good for people that own or are interested in the exaSound DACs to have central place to post info and their experiences of the exaSound DACs.

To start things off here is an update from exaSound.

exaSound is offering an upgraded clock on the e20 MK III as a "Custom order". The clock upgrade is from .13ps rms to .082ps rms and is a $100 price increase over the e20 MK III ($2,899 to $2,999 CAD). The clock must be ordered at time of purchase of the DAC.

The price of the upgraded clock might increase in the near future so anyone who has an interest should not wait. It is likely to go up.

The clocks from MSB are as follows, .14 and .077 while the exaSound clocks are .13 and .082 and the difference between the two best is just .005. I think this says a lot about the e20 MK III.

I should have a MkIII with clock upgrade in hand sometime next week. Might have something to report by end of month. Exasound customer service was very helpful...and patient.

hifial - I've only noticed, that in some parts of the World exaSound is almost completely unknown, but on Computer Audiophile are 3 topics. Thats all.

Given that Exasound seems to be a strong supporter of the site as their big banner has been most visible on top of the page for months, I think that it is fair that they get their products discussed in several threads, even if in my part of the world (Western Europe) they are almost totally unknown.

Christopher, I am also getting an exaSound e20 MKIII with the new custom clock option (.082 ps rms). I am not sure when mine will arrive yet. I hope end of this week but do not expect it will be that soon. Otherwise sometime next week. Then it is back to burn-in all over again. Though the e20 sounds great right out of the box.

I played a few tracks that I use for demos over and over so I can try and remember, as best I can, little nuances in the sound of the songs.

I will play the same tracks back once to see if there are any noticeable improvements after the clock upgrade.

NOW before anyone beats me up with how we can not remember the details of the sound after just a few seconds, move on please.

I will debate it another time. (though I agree to a point)

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

even if in my part of the world (Western Europe) they are almost totally unknown.
They need European distributors. I'm very interested in their products but we have to pay a lot (+30%) for taxes and we don't have, here in Europe, technical assistance.
They need European distributors. I'm very interested in their products but we have to pay a lot (+30%) for taxes and we don't have, here in Europe, technical assistance.

This is the reason why I did not go for the E20 but chose the Benchmark DAC2 instead. In particular, I did not want to put myself in a situation where, if I needed repair or a replacement, I might have to pay Canadian duty on my shipment back to Canada and EU duty on the shipment of the repaired/replaced unit to Europe. As Benchmark is distributed in Western Europe, I could order my DAC2 from my usual dealer -- which also meant that I got three hours of his time fine-tuning my system (especially my active room-correcting subwoofer), a valuable addition.

This is the reason why I did not go for the E20 but chose the Benchmark DAC2 instead. In particular, I did not want to put myself in a situation where, if I needed repair or a replacement, I might have to pay Canadian duty on my shipment back to Canada and EU duty on the shipment of the repaired/replaced unit to Europe. As Benchmark is distributed in Western Europe, I could order my DAC2 from my usual dealer -- which also meant that I got three hours of his time fine-tuning my system (especially my active room-correcting subwoofer), a valuable addition.

Hi Boris,

On this side of the world (where I live) I have to take the risk. For gear there are dealers here, no problem, we have very good technicians. When there is no dealership normally manufacturers send us diagrams and parts. Honestly in my lengthly audiophile live I had very few issues, but I do take care to protect my gear with industrial surge arrestors, as everyone ought to do anywhere in the world.

Roch

I am full of envy here ;)

I would not attach too much importance to those jitter numbers though, especially when they are presented with no frequency reference.

The "jitter numbers" are very evident...! Even if I'm not an experienced digital technician.

The listening proof is very easy: Try to listen to Redbook with this DAC and then from another...

Roch

On this side of the world (where I live) I have to take the risk.

We, in Europe, have to pay VAT and customs when we recieve the goods and have the risk to pay "again" VAT and customs for an "used item" sent to factory to repair it.

Brands must have distributors all over the world.

Honestly in my lengthly audiophile live I had very few issues, but I do take care to protect my gear with industrial surge arrestors, as everyone ought to do anywhere in the world.

Roch

Hi Roch,

Thanks for your very interesting post. It seems that we made different decisions based on contrasting experiences. My audiophile life is relatively short (3 years - before that I was just a mid-to-hifi user), and in this short life my subwoofer failed once (with its amp section having to be sent to the manufacturer for repair) and I had an amp that failed three times (static on left channel, then static on the right channel, then static on the right channel again). It went to the manufacturer twice. The last time it failed, my dealer convinced me to upgrade -- and I am very pleased with the move. After these experiences, I am quite reluctant to buy an item if it does not come with sound support.

Which sort of industrial surge protector are you using? I am interested in buying one based on your recommendation in your post.

Cheers,

Boris.

We, in Europe, have to pay VAT and customs when we recieve the goods and have the risk to pay "again" VAT and customs for an "used item" sent to factory to repair it.

Brands must have distributors all over the world.

The same over here, every time a good gets in pay the full rate, used (from repair) or new, and our import taxes are huge. This is for we try to repair on place.

Roch

Hi Roch,

Thanks for your very interesting post. It seems that we made different decisions based on contrasting experiences. My audiophile life is relatively short (3 years - before that I was just a mid-to-hifi user), and in this short life my subwoofer failed once (with its amp section having to be sent to the manufacturer for repair) and I had an amp that failed three times (static on left channel, then static on the right channel, then static on the right channel again). It went to the manufacturer twice. The last time it failed, my dealer convinced me to upgrade -- and I am very pleased with the move. After these experiences, I am quite reluctant to buy an item if it does not come with sound support.

Which sort of industrial surge protector are you using? I am interested in buying one based on your recommendation in your post.

Cheers,

Boris.

Boris, I'm using the 10R-1U-20WI (#002-00153), but they are several models. This brand is expensive but do what it have to do, plus it doesn't 'add' nor 'remove' nothing to the music, like some other capacitive filters I used before since it's only for spikes protection.

10 Outlet Models | Zero Surge

Best,

Roch