IGNORED

Just Trying out JRiver 18 for Mac, A few Questions...

attndef

Hey everyone, i'd appreciate some help or tips for using JRiver. I am trying it out to see if I like the interface as well as the iphone/ipad remote control apps for JRiver better than Itunes.

First question is there anything I have to do within the settings to get bit-perfect audio out from the program? I just imported my music, some apple lossless, some FLAC and hit play and the "bit perfect" light is on...so I assume i'm good on that front, the only thing i set was, the disable volume setting. (I'm running a toslink out from from Imac)

Second question is what are your preferred setting/layout for the interface? How do you use it and how is your library set up? Some screen shot would be helpful. Im just interested in getting the most out of this program to see if I like it more than itunes + Amarra.

Thanks!

I found JRiver a complete dud.

The ability to have Folders and Sub-Folders, a la iTunes, is nonexistent.

Grouping artist albums is even hard - they have to be 'tagged' properly on importation (I take it this means the metadata in FLAC has to be the same. eg Beatles is not the same as The Beatles or Beatles, The)

I became so tired of trying to make it do what iTunes does that I gave up and asked for a refund - They decline to give me one!

Hey everyone, i'd appreciate some help or tips for using JRiver. I am trying it out to see if I like the interface as well as the iphone/ipad remote control apps for JRiver better than Itunes.

First question is there anything I have to do within the settings to get bit-perfect audio out from the program? I just imported my music, some apple lossless, some FLAC and hit play and the "bit perfect" light is on...so I assume i'm good on that front, the only thing i set was, the disable volume setting. (I'm running a toslink out from from Imac)

Second question is what are your preferred setting/layout for the interface? How do you use it and how is your library set up? Some screen shot would be helpful. Im just interested in getting the most out of this program to see if I like it more than itunes + Amarra.

Thanks!

Are you using the beta MAc version or Win with boot camp?

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I found JRiver a complete dud.

The ability to have Folders and Sub-Folders, a la iTunes, is nonexistent.

Grouping artist albums is even hard - they have to be 'tagged' properly on importation (I take it this means the metadata in FLAC has to be the same. eg Beatles is not the same as The Beatles or Beatles, The)

I became so tired of trying to make it do what iTunes does that I gave up and asked for a refund - They decline to give me one!

You mean folders on the HDD like

+ The Beatles

.. The Long and winding road

... Hey Jude

? I have folders like this and Jriver finds them all, and sorts the albums by name or year whatever you like. Highly dependent on the file's metadata.

Metadata is what it is, highly variable and and doubly inaccurate. HDtracks gets most of it right, but still needs some work. If you rip with dbPoweramp, it's reasonably accurate, but not 100% with metadata.

Since the file may not contain accurate metadata and is user defineable, doesn't mean Jriver can't play it. If it didn't play the file then you'd be entitled to your money back.

Anyway Jriver can play just about any sound file, itunes can play AIFF, ALAC, MP3, WAV and AAC - big deal.

No Flac, DSD (all flavours), ape, ........and on.

I think you like iTunes too much and didn't give Jriver some time. I hated Jriver's versions 14-16, but warmed to 17, been using it for about 12 months now.

It may be a trial to fix up your metadata it depends on how picky you are. It takes a while to do, don't be lazy.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

You could be using JRiver every day for a year and still be discovering it's capabilities.It is both it's strength and it's weaknes IMHO.

It gets its information from both metadata and the file structure.You can set tag on import rules and there are tools that will assist reorganising the file path/name if you have your tags right, and vice versa. You can also create custom tags to sort and display your media. It has an expression language Media Center expression language - JRiverWiki , core commands, functions etc. As for configurabilty to organise and display your media it is outstanding

for organising/displaying media look here Customise Current View v17 Expounded

for some audiophile info look here Audiophile Info - JRiverWiki

Edit- Addit-

This general guide is not bad (scroll down the page to see JRiver setup)

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/home-theater-blog/2013/6/6/how-to-replace-your-home-theater-pre-pro-with-a-htpc

And CA's guide here

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/436-jriver-media-center-17-detail/

Sound Minds Mind Sound