IGNORED

Do you hear a difference...?

Do you hear a difference between difference playback software on the same computer?  

128 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It has been stated a few times that there is a "concensus" that different audio players sound different and I would like to run a poll to find out how much if a consensus there is.

So I'm asking

A) do you hear a difference between audio players and

B) how do you connect your DAC to your computer (as I am curious if there is a correlation between audible differences and the connection method).

I will (hopefully) make the poll anonymous so no one will comment on who hears what and I would request we don't start another discussion on if there is a difference just purely take this as a poll.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Hopefully the options are self explanatory...

If you hear a difference between software run on the same computer, select one of the first 5 options; if you hear no different select one of options 6-10.

Within each 5; the first option is for if you run USB direct from your computer (from motherboard or an SotM type card) direct to your DAC. The other options are for those using USB (or FireWire) converters or use a sound card connection.

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

A) Yes. (Windows 8/64)

B) Coax SPDIF

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

A) Yes. (Windows 8/64)

B) Coax SPDIF

Can you choose the closest relevant option on the poll Alex otherwise you won't get counted.

Thanks

Eloise

---

Yes: I needed about 20 options rather than 10 to put all the combinations I thought of...

Eloise

---

I hear a difference / use another method

When playing back files from my PC, the DAC is a Lynx L22 pci soundcard.

(with other sources in my DAW I sometimes use an Apogee Rosetta 200 AD/DA and Big Ben)

Playing any file in JRMC17 running ASIO vs. iTunes is NOT a subtle difference. iTunes blows.

Andrew Bacon

'if it aint broke take it apart and find out why'

Can you choose the closest relevant option on the poll Alex otherwise you won't get counted.

Thanks

Eloise

When I replied the various options were not there, although your post was already several minutes old.

Due to the high incidence of Mac ownership by U.S.A. members, perhaps you also need to know which OS, as most Mac users are likely to use USB in preference to onboard Optical ?

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

yes. usb > usb converter > aes/ebu > dac

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

I use an Audiophilleo USB to SPDIF converter feeding a DAC. I think that should have been a separate choice from USB DAC. If noise over the ground is a problem separate converters may diminish it vs a DAC with an included USB connection. In the case of the unit I have power for the device goes through a regenerator which supposedly greatly diminishes the effect of any noise on the USB itself. It isn't the only such device to take such measures.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

If you use the Audiophilleo that would be "use coax SPDIF from soundcard or USB converter"

I use an Audiophilleo USB to SPDIF converter feeding a DAC. I think that should have been a separate choice from USB DAC. If noise over the ground is a problem separate converters may diminish it vs a DAC with an included USB connection. In the case of the unit I have power for the device goes through a regenerator which supposedly greatly diminishes the effect of any noise on the USB itself. It isn't the only such device to take such measures.

Eloise

---

I hear a difference, with a USB connected DAC, which is why I purchased Decibel, and then Pure Music.

MacBook Pro (2011) -> PureMusic 1.8 -> USB -> Burson Audio HA-160D -> Audez\'e LCD-2[br]Macbook Pro (2011) -> PureMusic 1.8 -> USB -> Burson Audio HA-160D -> Emotiva UPA-2 -> Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1\'s

If you use the Audiophilleo that would be "use coax SPDIF from soundcard or USB converter"

Right you are, bad reading comprehension on my part. Oops.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I hear a difference and that is listening to a cheep eBay DAC via Toslink, Ok I have a good power supply on it and a carefully selected OpAmp but then I also noticed a difference when using the I Mac's built in sound and a poor yamaha all in one. Obviously the changes have become more noticeable so when I finish my DAC who knows.

I hear a difference using both a USB connected DAC and another dac via fed SPDIF from my Offramp but could only vote once...so add +1 to the SPDIF category. I should add that my USB DAC is immune to usb cable (Phasure NOS1) but software players do sound different and even different options within the one software player influences sound whilst maintaining bit-perfection. Go figure!!

Despite JRiver claims to the contrary, IMO JPlay adds an element of further depth and richness to the classical and jazz I play here.

Jim

PC (J River-Jplay) > USB > Mytek 192 - DSD > XLR > Adcom GFP-750 Pre > XLR > Emotiva XPA-5 > Snell C/V's (bi-amped) / Klipsch Sub <100 Hz

It has been stated a few times that there is a "concensus" that different audio players sound different and I would like to run a poll to find out how much if a consensus there is.

Eloise

Hi, Eloise. The consensus, at least here, will be from a self selected group. For example, you take an Audirvana topic on the forum with comments by a bunch of Audirvana Plus users, many/most of whom presumably use it because they like the sound, and most of them think it sounds different than other players. Not surprising.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.