IGNORED

New Ayre QB-9 DSD DAC - DSD Issues

I just posted a request for assistance with my new Ayre QB-9 DSD DAC over on the JRiver forums, but since there's been lots of discussion here about the QB-9 and DSD, thought that I'd post a link to the article here in hopes that SOMEONE in CA has already resolved the playback issue I'm having.

Please refer to the original post here

Thanks,

-ricardo-

Ricardo

I just posted a request for assistance with my new Ayre QB-9 DSD DAC over on the JRiver forums, but since there's been lots of discussion here about the QB-9 and DSD, thought that I'd post a link to the article here in hopes that SOMEONE in CA has already resolved the playback issue I'm having.

Please refer to the original post here

Thanks,

-ricardo-

I have an upgraded QB-9 DSD. I previously set-up to get 24/192 per the instructions on Ayre's website, including installing the Thesycon driver. Sounds like you've done all that.

I have JRMC18.0.206. My set-up is:

Bitstreaming>Custom>DSD over PCM>default option. That's it. On DSD files, the display briefly flashes "176" then goes to "64".

On mine, I get no audio if I also select (ie, select both DSD and DSD over PCM) Bitstreaming>Custom>DSD but it works fine if I select DoP only.

So, perhaps that is your troubles? Either way, the Ayre crew should be able to get you going. Happy listening!

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Hi, Chris. Thanks for the quick reply (you too, Beetlemania). I've followed the Ayre instructions regarding disabling DSP and am using the ASIO driver recommended by Ayre as well. I'll try WASAPI Event Style and will report back my findings.

FYI, I've purchased quite a few of the Blue Coast titles (Collection I and II, Art Lande, Keith Greeninger, etc) as well as a few DSD 'demos' I've located here in your forum and elsewhere. Same result with everything I've tried to play.

I anxiously await your review - I don't have the vocabulary to describe the level of audio improvement the QB-9 has made to my system and am very interested in your impressions.

Ricardo

I have the QB-9 DSD in for review. It works perfect with DSD. Set your output mode to WASAPI Event Style and your device to the QB-9 within JRMC. Select DoP v1.0, not the legacy version. Make sure you're not using any DSP. What DSD material are you playing back through the DAC?

Hi Chris. Thanks for your help that might be useful to others also. As quite many out there, I'm waiting to get my QB-9 upgraded. May I ask you about when do you plan to publish your review of the DSD QB-9 ?

Thanks

Hi Chris. Thanks for your help that might be useful to others also. As quite many out there, I'm waiting to get my QB-9 upgraded. May I ask you about when do you plan to publish your review of the DSD QB-9 ?

Thanks

It's going to be a month or two. I just received the unit last week and it was hot off the press. I'm running music through it 24/7 and have a few other components to review before I get to the Ayre unit.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I'll try WASAPI Event Style and will report back my findings.

I am using WASAPI output per Chris' JRMC set-up instructions:

Computer Audiophile - JRiver Media Center 17 In Detail

Also, the newest versions of JRMC18 have "Event Style" by default (ie, the drop-down menu only shows "WASAPI"):

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/jrmc-18-0-206-wasapi-event-style-dop-17013/

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

I am using WASAPI output per Chris' JRMC set-up instructions:

Computer Audiophile - JRiver Media Center 17 In Detail

Also, the newest versions of JRMC18 have "Event Style" by default (ie, the drop-down menu only shows "WASAPI"):

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/jrmc-18-0-206-wasapi-event-style-dop-17013/

WASAPI Event Style did it! I'm now able to play all my DSD files bit-perfect.

I will advise Ayre that they need to update their on-line configuration instructions to note that QB-9 owners using JRiver Media Center should use WASAPI instead of the ASIO driver they currently recommend.

Interesting that ASIO doesn't work with MC18 however; Ayre stated that they test every unit's ability to play DSD files as part of their quality assurance testing. So clearly there's something in the ASIO driver that doesn't sync with how MC18 is flagging the PCM stream as DSD over DOP.

Thanks again for the assistance; I've learned - and continue to learn - LOTS from this forum.

Regards,

Ricardo

WASAPI Event Style did it! I'm now able to play all my DSD files bit-perfect.

I will advise Ayre that they need to update their on-line configuration instructions to note that QB-9 owners using JRiver Media Center should use WASAPI instead of the ASIO driver they currently recommend.

Interesting that ASIO doesn't work with MC18 however; Ayre stated that they test every unit's ability to play DSD files as part of their quality assurance testing. So clearly there's something in the ASIO driver that doesn't sync with how MC18 is flagging the PCM stream as DSD over DOP.

Glad to read that you've resolved the issue. I guess I've been ignoring Ayre's suggested ASIO driver, especially since I switched to MC18. Yes, you should let Ayre know how it turned out. I can't be fun to make sure your product is compatible with countless variations of hardware, software, and software settings. I imagine no two customers have the same configuration.

So are you saying if you run server 2012 you are out of luck because there is no WASAPI support?

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps

So are you saying if you run server 2012 you are out of luck because there is no WASAPI support?

Not at all. All I can say with any certainty is that I had to configure MC18 to use WASAPI Event Style in order to get DSD (DoP) to work. In another thread Charles Hansen stated that the TUSBAudio ASIO driver must still be loaded on Windows platforms for USB2 to work. I'm not clear on how that works with WASAPI, if at all, from the standpoint of the MC configuration. And according to the guys I spoke with at Ayre they will be testing out MC with the new DAC and if there ARE issues using the ASIO driver I'm sure they will get sorted out shortly.

On a related note: Regardless the DSD capabilities, the Ayre QB-9 DAC has made a dramatic difference in the SQ of my system. Not just the 24bit 88/96/176/192 media, but even my 16/44.1 CD rips have taken on new life. So much so that I'm going to spend most of the weekend ripping my favorite CDs to the music server just so I can play 'em through the QB-9.

Ricardo

Not at all. All I can say with any certainty is that I had to configure MC18 to use WASAPI Event Style in order to get DSD (DoP) to work. In another thread Charles Hansen stated that the TUSBAudio ASIO driver must still be loaded on Windows platforms for USB2 to work. I'm not clear on how that works with WASAPI, if at all, from the standpoint of the MC configuration. And according to the guys I spoke with at Ayre they will be testing out MC with the new DAC and if there ARE issues using the ASIO driver I'm sure they will get sorted out shortly.

On a related note: Regardless the DSD capabilities, the Ayre QB-9 DAC has made a dramatic difference in the SQ of my system. Not just the 24bit 88/96/176/192 media, but even my 16/44.1 CD rips have taken on new life. So much so that I'm going to spend most of the weekend ripping my favorite CDs to the music server just so I can play 'em through the QB-9.

I had the same experience with redbook files. I was amazed at the improvement. Plus it's musical. I was lucky with DSD. I use a Mac with A+ and all I had to do was go to playlist and drop I the file.

2012 MacMini 8G ram -> Audirvana + 3.0 -> Mcintosh MHA 100> Nordost > Audeze LCD X

Thanks to Ricardo for sharing his experiences. There are SO MANY variable when it come to computer audio that it can be frustrating sometimes to sort them all out.

Since I haven't had time to monitor the forums lately, I'm glad that you were able to reach the right person at the factory. His name is Ryan Berry and he is currently moving up the ladder very quickly! I had no idea when we hired him, but he used to be HARD CORE gamer, so he knows just about everything there is not know about Windows. He also has a GREAT pair of hears and has become a key part of our listening team. Plus he will bend over backwards to help you, even if it means working at home past midnight to solve a problem. They don't get much better than Ryan!

Cheers,

Charles Hansen

Dumb Analog Hardware Engineer
Former Transducer Designer

• 1 month later...

Hello Chris - Any idea when you will publish your review?

Many thanks!

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)