My first thread/post on Computer Audiophile. Say goodbye Audiolab M-DAC. I'm blown away by what I've heard so far. Piano notes/decay finally sound right even out of my small speakers. Everything they say is true about the Concero DACs, more air around the performers, smoother sound, and much more. Issue for me with the M-DAC is that once I settled on the xD filter, performers sounds too forward in many tracks and in other songs, things were too bright. Other filters just didn't work. I haven't tried the filters on the Concero HD but I will report back. I also need to try the DSD playback.

Has anyone else tried the Concero HD yet?

Oh, I want to thank John H. Darko for many of my buying decisions. This guy knows his stuff!

Adam

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 | JRiver | Windows 7 | Synology DS211J NAS > AudioQuest Forest USB Cable > iFi iUSBPower coming soon > iFi Gemini coming soon > Resonessence Concero HD DAC > Chord Crimson VEE 3 stereo RCA (Atlas Element Integra RCA coming soon) | > Heed Obelisk Si integrated amp | Heed X2 PSU | Heed Vinyl 1 phono card > Kimber 8TC Bi-Wire > PMC Twenty.21 Speakers | Martin Logan Grotto sub | Linn Katan stands | Synergistic Powercell 4 Power conditioner | Shunyata Venom 3 power cords | Denon DP-300F Turntable (Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Cartridge)

Falcon LS3/5A Gold Badge • Octave V70 SE • Thorens TD-124 (full STS service and all mods)/MusiKraft DL-103 • Chord Qutest • SRC•DX USB to Dual-Coax Bridge • Melco N1Z 
Other sources: Nakamichi Dragon, Tascam BR-20 Reel to Reel and more. 
Power/Cables: Audioquest Niagara 3000, Hurricane HCs, Van den Hul The Mainsstream Hybrid Power Cord - Source Power Cables, Audioquest Thunderbird Speaker Cables, BPT

I'll try to give you some of my impressions but as you know, it's all so system dependent. My Heed amplification performs more like tubes and is very organic. Think there is one reviewer that is using it as his reference amplifier. The Heed amplification matches very well with PMC. PMC's twenty series has great bass definition, are not boxy and do all kinds of music well. It is not a one trick pony.

My favorite filters on the M-DAC were the xD, DD and minimum phase. I also played a bit with optimum phase. xD really shined on vocals. I was really able to distinguish between different voices well. On well recorded or high resolution files, xD worked great. On average/harsh recordings, xD didn't work as well. As stated in my earlier post, sometimes voices sounded to forward. Also, there was this tendency of everything sounding thin on all filters. Maybe on a bright system or a system that uses silver cables, the DD filter would have worked well. To be honest, it just drove me crazy. I just couldn't decide on the perfect filter. Might be my OCD problem.

As soon as I plugged in the Concero HD without any burn in, I was like WOW!. With no filters applied, nothing was too forward, the sound was full, not thin sounding. At low listening volumes, I could make out all the little delicate subtleties I love to hear. Everything sounds tonally correct, pianos sound like pianos, voices were smoother, sweeter. I just love this DAC! All the resolution is there just like the M-DAC but it is just that much better. I think as reviews come out on this DAC, its going to be a giant killer. I also want to also say the company is amazing to deal with. I had a problem caused by me not closely reading the manual and they were more then helpful.

I went crazy this weekend trying to get DSD decoding working and finally did using Foobar2000. Still haven't gotten JRiver 17 or 18 to work.

I wrote up some instructions of anyone wants them on how I got DSD files to play using Foobar (ASIO proxy and the Super Audio CD Decoder plugin). Another note, I seem to like WASAPI over ASIO for non DSD playback out Jriver and Foobar. I am still undecided between Kernal Streaming and WASAPI in Jriver. WASAPI in Jriver and Foobar are sounding the same. I am probably not going to do many more comparisons with the audio output modes until I receive my iFi iUSBPower, Gemini cable and Atlas Element Integra RCA interconnect.

Now some words on the DSD playback using Foobar and ASIO. Amazing! I only have a few recordings and one is Bach symphony with some beautiful singers. I am transported to the symphony hall! All the spatial cues are there! I can feel the characteristics of the hall, the since of depth on the stage, the voices are delicate, full and sweet. Just amazing! I can't wait to get more DSD material. I've have always enjoyed classical and jazz more in a live setting but things have just changed. The money spent on the Concero HD over the regular version was well worth it.

I hope this helps and doesn't add to your confusion. Adam

Falcon LS3/5A Gold Badge • Octave V70 SE • Thorens TD-124 (full STS service and all mods)/MusiKraft DL-103 • Chord Qutest • SRC•DX USB to Dual-Coax Bridge • Melco N1Z 
Power/Cables: Audioquest Niagara 3000, Hurricane HCs, Van den Hul The Mainsstream Hybrid Power Cord - Source Power Cables, Audioquest Thunderbird Speaker Cables, BPT

I just ordered an Concero HD to pair with a set of new Adam A7X powered speakers for my apartment in Shanghai. It should arrive next week ( I am in the US for two more weeks ).

Any thoughts on direct connection to the powered speakers without preamp? I will use Audirvana for volume control. When I checked with the company they said this would work fine, but i would like to hear some comments from this group as well. I definitely prefer to not purchase a preamp and take it over with me.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

Welcome to the Concero HD club :) I use to have some Adam A7X, not just because my name is Adam. Really good! I was actually considering some of their new Artists 5 monitors but for now, sticking with passive PMC 21s.

I think you just want to be careful adjusting the volume knobs on each of the A7X monitors. Just start off setting them very low at the same level. Believe both Foobar and Audirvana both attenuate the sound when adjusting the volume so it doesn't degrade the sound. If this indeed is in the 32-bit or 24-bit world, I think things will sound excellent. If anyone thinks I'm wrong, please let lithium1085 know.

I think the only issue not having a pre-amp is that things could get pretty loud if you are also playing other things off your computer like youtube, etc. Just adjust the volume knob on your Mac accordingly.

Has anyone hooked up an independent 5V power supply to the Concero HD to better isolate and separate it from the USB signal? If so, it would be good to hear if the SQ improves and also any recommended PSU.

Hi TNE. I have not tried any other sources for power other then USB. I don't see an input for a power source. I'll report on the iFi USBpower and the Gemini cable once I get them and I have a chance to listen. There must be a big back log. It seems strange that pulling the power out then putting in clean power just to put it back in the same connection but hey, its worth a listen. I've read nothing but good things about the combo and it sure beats putting together a CAPs server and spending another 1000 on a battery system to power the thing.

Oh, here is some my latest DSD and PCM findings:Hi Dustin,

I discovered is that Foobar running the asio output plugin (foo out asio) and the SACD decoder plugin sounds much better then the Jriver alternative (must pick the DSD over PCM DoP option in jriver, not the DSD option). My issue is that WASAPI and kernal streaming sound superior for non DSD files. Since Foobar plays the DSD files better, I'll have to just swap between WASAPI and asio. The pain was I loose the Wasapi option every time I RDP into my Windows 7 media server. Real VNC server and android VNC solved that dellima. What a pain to switch every time I play DSD files but until I can figure out a better playing alternative. Can't wait to try more DSD files. WOW! I'm in the symphony hall. The Concero rocks!

I look forward to your comments about possible improvements with the iFi USB/Gemini combo.

In the meantime I am extremely pleased with my minimalist system of MacBook Pro -> Concero HD -> Adam A7X speakers, although it was more than a little stressful to put the speakers through the checked baggage from San Francisco to Shanghai. Using Transparent Performance USB cable and Synergistic Research Galileo Basik interconnects with stock power cables. Changed the power settings and the fuses on the Adams to accommodate the 220V supply here. No problems so far. Still need speaker stands.....

Glad you were able to get those A7Xs back in one piece :) TNE, I'm now in the same boat as you. Decided on some active speakers (Dynaudio 110As). My only problem is that I need an Analog input for a phono amp. Really don't want to spend the 4k on the Invicta to get a volume know.

FWIW, with the original Concero the iFi USB power supply makes a small but noticeable difference. Hard to describe except to say that everything you like about the Concero just gets a little bit more so.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

Here is a picture of the current but temporary placement. Soon I will get some speaker stands and move from the dining room to living room. Also I plan to buy a Mac Mini for here since the Powerbook is my do-it-all computer now. Shown here are the Adams, Powerbook, the black thingy left of the computer is a Oyen Digital fanless Firewire drive with all my music, and the black thingy on the right of the computer is the Concero HD.

photo-19.JPG

Very cool setup TNE. I lived in Kennedy Town on the Western part of Hong Kong island. That view reminded me of my times there.

The Concero is so good. I would keep it if didn't just get into all the vinyl madness. Just bought a myTek 192 Pre and hope it performs as well. If I was digital only, would think the Concero HD and Foobar's volume control would be perfect in that it wouldn't degrade the sound quality.

FYI, I just ripped my first SACD and WOW! It took me all day yesterday to figure out how but it was worth it! Nat King Cole was in my room.

• 4 weeks later...
Here is a picture of the current but temporary placement. Soon I will get some speaker stands and move from the dining room to living room. Also I plan to buy a Mac Mini for here since the Powerbook is my do-it-all computer now. Shown here are the Adams, Powerbook, the black thingy left of the computer is a Oyen Digital fanless Firewire drive with all my music, and the black thingy on the right of the computer is the Concero HD.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7127[/ATTACH]

Hi!

First time poster, I am planning on the same setup. What is under your macbook? For your Firewire drive may I ask what size you have? And the cables which ones did you get?

Best Regards!

Merlin

Hi!

First time poster, I am planning on the same setup. What is under your macbook? For your Firewire drive may I ask what size you have? And the cables which ones did you get?

Best Regards!

Merlin

Merlin,

Under the Macbook is a rain design iLap which positions the computer best for typing as well as aids in air circulation for cooling. I currently have two Firewire drives. The one in the photo is 1Tb, but I also have all the files backed up on a 2Tb (same company, Oyen Digital, and style) which I will need to use as my primary soon since I have been buying too many DSD and other high-res files recently. Interconnects are Synergistic Research Galileo Basik and the USB is (currently) a Transparent Research Performance USB cable ( but I am planning to demo a Mapleshade Clearlink Plus soon).

I have moved the speakers to stands now and into another spot which does improve the sound quality, but the view is not as nice ;-)

All in all a nice set up that I can use at either 220V or 120V with just a swap of the fuses and voltage selector in the Adams.

Best of luck with your system,

- Thomas

• 2 months later...

Hi there! Need your advice, guys.

I need to upgrade my DAC and it's come to either the original Concero, the Concero HD or a Schiit Bifrost Uber, 2nd generation. I'm not into DSD, I'm pleased with high resolution PCM and would like to meet the 192 K mark with my new DAC.

My system is quite resolving, tube based (dual mono single-ended pentode) with high sensitive speakers. I'm currently using a HRT MSII+ and will never require balanced outputs. Any suggestions?

I must add I can't audition stuff and logistics makes it prohibitive to try to return anything, so I need to choose right from the start. This is why I need to rely on your experiences. I like Bebop and acoustic jazz and classical music, so high resolving DACs are good candidates without going to extremes (no sterile excesses).

Thanks so much for your assistance.

Decwarenut

I have been using the original Concero as part of a high resolution system and I have been very impressed by its performance. If you are looking for <$1000 dollar DACs, then I can highly recommend it. If you can spring for the extra cash for the Concero HD, I would do that. One caveat, the Conceros run off the USB bus power so you need a computer with a good USB output, stable voltage and low noise. My Concero with my Mac mini has been flawless, very quiet and very stable. I am not familiar with the HRT MSII+, so my last comment may not apply.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I have been using the original Concero as part of a high resolution system and I have been very impressed by its performance. If you are looking for <$1000 dollar DACs, then I can highly recommend it. If you can spring for the extra cash for the Concero HD, I would do that. One caveat, the Conceros run off the USB bus power so you need a computer with a good USB output, stable voltage and low noise. My Concero with my Mac mini has been flawless, very quiet and very stable. I am not familiar with the HRT MSII+, so my last comment may not apply.

Thanks for your feedback, Axiom05. It is difficult to judge how my laptop is in those areas, but I have not sensed anything wrong with its USB output after I installed Fidelizer to kill initial latency issues. When my laptop will eventually be replaced, I'll probably get me a Mac Mini too.

Since I'm not that crazy about DSD, the $250.00 difference for the HD relative to the original Concero need be justified in terms of SQ alone. I know it is a more resolute DAC than the original, but some people have reported too analytical/less musical and less forgiving results as compared to the original. My inclination is I like details, but not in excess to the point of making the music listening experience fatiguing as opposed to exciting.

I would be very interested in other Original vs HD experiences before I take the plunge. Happy listening.

Decwarenut

There are reviews of both the Concero and the Concero HD posted on Head-Fi.org. Try doing a search as the linked thread is rather lengthy.

Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead - Page 95

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

There are reviews of both the Concero and the Concero HD posted on Head-Fi.org. Try doing a search as the linked thread is rather lengthy.

Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead - Page 95

Yes, I'm familiar with that thread, although I may have missed specific references from actual owners of both units relating to their conclusions. That thread covers all the variants in the Concero family, so at least to me it is not yet clear what the interpretation of those reports mean in my decision, yet. I even saw a report that dismissed the HD just because it was less of a bang-for-the-buck than the original. I would not agree with such a linear conception, as it is known there are evident exponential diminishing returns involved in incremental SQ improvements.

I may add you're probably right in suggesting the HD at this point. It is also my inclination, but I want to discard possible sterile results brought about when aiming at too much data mining.

Decwarenut