IGNORED

exaSound e20 MK III - MY Experience With

Hello to all. I do not post very often either here or on other sites. The product must be special enough to me to make me a fan boy.

While I have heard some great audio products it must stand out enough to make me excited that I found something special and I want others to be aware that they need to demo it for themselves.

So far one has, the Veritas Amps by Merrill Audio based on the Hypex Ncore NC1200.

Now I hope to add to the list. I will receive an exaSound e20 MK III on Thursday 7/25!!

My previous DAC was the PS Audio Perfectwave MK II with Bridge. It was very hard for me to part with it. However I felt that there are DACs that are being released that are leaving it behind in some areas. And while the PSA can be upgraded it seemed to me it was going to be far down the road.

I spent a lot of time researching what is out there and had it down to three choices.

1) Zodiac Platinum that will be out in a few weeks.

2) Lynx Hilo

3) exaSound e20 MK III

My budget was between $3,000 and $5,000. But the sweet spot was on the lower end as I wanted to have money left over for add ons and such. Also I wanted to spend less for now as I feel things in the world of DACs are going to progress a lot over the next few years.

Also I wanted a DAC that will do no up or over sampling of its own (that left the Vega out) but be able to take PCM up-sampled beyond 192 from the PC and it must be DSD capable. I also decided that I wanted to have the DSD (64) be able to do at least double DSD (128) and if possible four times DSD (256).

And as a bonus play DSD direct not just over DoP.

Well that left the exaSound the only one standing.

I must say I had a chance to hear the Lynx Hilo at a friends whose system I am very familiar with and is very revealing and it sounded great with whatever with played (RB, 24/192, DSD and Vinyl). But I wanted something more like the exaSound.

On top of all that when I saw the specs I was so impressed. Most of the specs are better (or equal to) then MSB, EMM, Playback Designs, etc.

The jitter is .13 while in the MSB it is .14 even in their top DAC! Now I know it is only .01 but it is a lot less money then even the MSB entry DAC at just shy of $7,000 (not counting that you have to pay extra for a volume control and such).

I also like the fact that I can upgrade the power supply and increase the quality of the sound. And I can choose linear or battery! Of my choice!

So you can see I have HIGH HOPES for the e20.

My system consists of the following; B&W 802D-Veritas mono amps. Cabling is High Fidelity-interconnects are two pairs of CT-1 in a special balanced configuration-speaker wire is CT-1E with CT-1 Jumpers for a bi-wire configuration. Power cords are Triode Wire Labs Custom 10. I use Stillpoints Ultra on all my equipment(SS on the B&Ws and Veritas, Mini on all the rest)- Mac Mini-SSD-16GB RAM with bootcamp (W8 and MAC)-Seagate HD with Thunderbolt to the Mini-All resting on Synergistic Research Tranquility Base. I will use Pure Music and J River MC.

Once I have it setup I will do a burn in of 50 hours and then another 100 hours.

I hope to have it up and running over the weekend but it may not happen till sometime next week.

Keeping my fingers crossed X.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

Hi Selarom. Yes, there is that option. I was advised against it. Price vs extra performance. I am not sure of the price but I believe it is costly. I know the MSB versions as an option are $4,995 for the .14 and 9,995 for the .077 so the exaSound must be up there. Lets say it is half the .077. $5,000 is a lot for a DAC that is $2,500-$2,900. But lets say it is even less, .33% or less, then it would be around the cost of the DAC its self.

But I am also curious and will ask George at exaSound and let everyone know.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

bibo01, I think from my post I inferred that the prices would be less. But by how much. Given the price of the e20 I would expect it to be between $200 and $500. Otherwise it would price the e20 into a different customer base.

I did find out that it will only be offered on the MK III e20. exaSound is still working out the particulars and hopes to have more in a week or two. It also will be not an after upgrade. It will be only at time of order.

Also bibo01, the price of the MK II is $2,500 and the MK III is $2,900. The Vega is $3,500 so a $1,000 to $600 more is not what I would call "similar" in price in this price range. After the clock upgrade Maybe. If it adds around $500 yes. If $100 no. So will will see.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

And as a bonus play DSD direct not just over DoP.

There is some confusion here, DoP is DSD and NO converted from/to PCM. DoP means "DSD over PCM", but it's not a conversion.

For example in A+ player you can get a "conversion" form DSD to PCM if your DAC is not DSD capable, and it can be capable two ways: "Direct" and DoP".

There are two vey different things. But the important thing is you will be listening DSD in DSD with exaSound E20

So you can see I have HIGH HOPES for the e20.

Keeping my fingers crossed X.

You don't need to cross your fingers, it's an excellent and superlative DAC, believe me!

Cheers!

Roch

Looking forward to your impressions on the DAC. I read theres is an option to another clock that is .08 ps. Dont know how much extra it would be

Hi hifial and Selarom,

ExaSound e20 MkIII has a clock upgrade option?

It is not mentioned in their website an eShop.

Please tell us more about that.

Thanks a lot!

Peter

bibo01, I think from my post I inferred that the prices would be less. But by how much. Given the price of the e20 I would expect it to be between $200 and $500. Otherwise it would price the e20 into a different customer base.

I did find out that it will only be offered on the MK III e20. exaSound is still working out the particulars and hopes to have more in a week or two. It also will be not an after upgrade. It will be only at time of order.

Also bibo01, the price of the MK II is $2,500 and the MK III is $2,900. The Vega is $3,500 so a $1,000 to $600 more is not what I would call "similar" in price in this price range. After the clock upgrade Maybe. If it adds around $500 yes. If $100 no. So will will see.

In my original post I was agreeing with you that Exasound update price has to be reasonably low, but I would not have used MSB's price as an example (because they are insane). In fact it would bring it to Vega's level which is an obvious competitor. In my view, a $600 difference around the $3000 price range makes them "similar" ;-)

PS: perhaps you could ask George if the e20 can work with Linux (perhaps through OSx driver), thanks

Hi Roch. No confusion on my part with DoP. But there are very few DACs that do DSD direct with no need of DoP and at the multiples that the e20 does.

The one thing I would like to do in the near term is upgrade the power supply to either a battery or a linear. I am leaning towards a battery but which one? Red Wine Audio looks good but it is not cheap. Any suggestions by anyone?

Hi Peter. Go to "overview" at the top left, then to "compare specs". Scroll down till the DAC master clock jitter and you will see an **. It is only for the MK III. As I said in the post above it is not yet available.

bibo01. If I get the chance I will ask George about Linux.

I have heard the Vega twice. Once at the NYC Audio Show. And once at a friends house for a demo. Nice but did not impress me enough to sell my PS Audio MK II for it. It might be that it does a lot of processing while I feel that for the most part the DAC should be NOS and if need be let the computer do that in the 64bit realm. Or it might have been a poor demo.

Now the sound of the Lynx Hilo impressed me enough to sell my PS Audio MK II for it. And I had plans on buying one till the exaSound e20 came along.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Hi Roch. No confusion on my part with DoP. But there are very few DACs that do DSD direct with no need of DoP and at the multiples that the e20 does.

The one thing I would like to do in the near term is upgrade the power supply to either a battery or a linear. I am leaning towards a battery but which one? Red Wine Audio looks good but it is not cheap. Any suggestions by anyone?

Hi Peter. Go to "overview" at the top left, then to "compare specs". Scroll down till the DAC master clock jitter and you will see an **. It is only for the MK III. As I said in the post above it is not yet available.

bibo01. If I get the chance I will ask George about Linux.

I have heard the Vega twice. Once at the NYC Audio Show. And once at a friends house for a demo. Nice but did not impress me enough to sell my PS Audio MK II for it. It might be that it does a lot of processing while I feel that for the most part the DAC should be NOS and if need be let the computer do that in the 64bit realm. Or it might have been a poor demo.

Now the sound of the Lynx Hilo impressed me enough to sell my PS Audio MK II for it. And I had plans on buying one till the exaSound e20 came along.

Hi hifial, I own the KingRex Mark II LPSU an does a very good match. Good linear PSUs aren't cheap...!

Roch

I am wondering : Have anyone come across any internal photos of exaSound e20 series of DACs?

If yes, please post them or their web links here for sharing.

Many of us would like to have a glimpse to see the quality of built of e20.

Many thanks!

For a consumer like myself, when I look at $2,900 for the MK III, and then add a linear power supply, which several users have noted adds a noticeable improvement, I'm looking at $3,300+. Now if I want the custom clock upgrade, I'm definitely in Auralic Vega territory price-wise. I'm not aware of any review comparing the Exasound MKII with the Vega. Sure would be interesting to hear a direct comparison, especially MK III with custom clock upgrade and a good linear or battery psu. I understand that the Vega benefits from the iFi USB Power so would throw that in as well. Looking forward to member reviews of the MK III.

Christopher, you make some good points and I do not disagree. However I think we need to start at the clock upgrade first.

1) exaSound e20 MK III with .082ps clock ?$3,200-3,500+/-? VS Aurlic Vega $3,500. Now compare them the sound.

2) e20 MK III with a upgrade outboard power supply ?$3,600-3,900 to ?? VS Vega with iFi $3,700. And now compare again.

But the again all that may be needed is just the outboard power supply and the clock might be a very marginal improvement.

Of course the best comparison would be the two in stock form.

Anybody done that yet?

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

For a consumer like myself, when I look at $2,900 for the MK III, and then add a linear power supply, which several users have noted adds a noticeable improvement, I'm looking at $3,300+. Now if I want the custom clock upgrade, I'm definitely in Auralic Vega territory price-wise. I'm not aware of any review comparing the Exasound MKII with the Vega. Sure would be interesting to hear a direct comparison, especially MK III with custom clock upgrade and a good linear or battery psu. I understand that the Vega benefits from the iFi USB Power so would throw that in as well. Looking forward to member reviews of the MK III.

LPSU is a gadget that you can add to the exaSound since it's external. It increase his incredible SQ, but is not a must. I used the KingRex because I already owns one. I guess you can't use a different PSU in the Auralic Vega, then there is no way to try a different one.

Regarding the iFi USB Power (I own one), you absolutely don't need it with the exaSound and also don't need expensive & sophisticated USB cables. To my ears it has the best USB input I tried in a DAC.

I have to confess I never listened to the Auralic Vega. Comparisons are welcome!

Roch

Christopher, you make some good points and I do not disagree. However I think we need to start at the clock upgrade first.

1) exaSound e20 MK III with .082ps clock ?$3,200-3,500+/-? VS Aurlic Vega $3,500. Now compare them the sound.

2) e20 MK III with a upgrade outboard power supply ?$3,600-3,900 to ?? VS Vega with iFi $3,700. And now compare again.

But the again all that may be needed is just the outboard power supply and the clock might be a very marginal improvement.

Hi Hifial,

The improvement brought by a better clock can be surprisingly large!

Several months ago I replaced my MSB IV dac with a newer IV Plus that contains a more accurate Femto140 clock.

My MSB IV Plus Standard easily KO my friend's older MSB IV Signature that does not have the new Femto clock!

If the clock upgrade of exaSound is not too expensive, I suggest you taking the upgrade option.

Peter

Very first impressions based on about two and half hours of burn in. Also keep in mind I still need to confirm proper setup of software (JR) and need to tweak W8.

So far: WOW, it has such PRAT and musicality. Transparency and natural tone of instruments are very good and got better over the last hour hour.

This is with High Res PCM only. Dave Brubeck "Concord On A Summer Night" 24/88. I could swear even the crickets had PRAT.

I hear NO grain or stridency at all. Very neutral and open. No added coloration and such.

It sounds very good right out of the box but you can easily hear the improvement in sound after a few hours of play.

So far so good but I expect more from it. I hope.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Hi SoundRebels,

Eagerly waiting for your photos of the interior of e28! Many thanks!

Hi hifial,

OIC : the e20 MkIII has arrived already! Congratulation!

If you will take ext or int photos of your dac, pls post it here too. Many thanks!

Peter

Just a small update and tease.

After about 20-22 hours of burn in. Sat down for a listen. I reply several songs over and over. During one song, BOOM, the sound just OPENS UP WIDE! Everything got better and then some. Deeper, wider sound stage. More micro dynamics. Instruments fleshed out more and better separation and distinction of instruments. I was very surprised at how this happened.

OK, now we are getting some where. Question is will it continue to improve for the next 30-70 hours and if so by how much.

Peter. Sorry but I will not open the DAC. Let alone for photos. Maybe some outside shots if I get the time.

One final thought. If it sounds this good with the stock power supply and .13ps clock and still not fully burned in (50 hours min rec) wow!

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Just curious, are the output terminals still incorrectly arranged on the back?

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

When looking at the rear panel of the unit, the left output terminals should be on your left, and the right ones on your right. The e20 MkII had them reversed (I think the e18 was also reversed).

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

When looking at the rear panel of the unit, the left output terminals should be on your left, and the right ones on your right. The e20 MkII had them reversed (I think the e18 was also reversed).

oh.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Duh...Sorry, my brain is not working yet, I said that completely backwards! The right outputs should be on the left side of the rear panel and the left outputs should be on the right side. This is the correct and standard arrangement. The e20 mkII had them reversed.

ExaSound-E20-back.jpg