IGNORED

New Stereo setup for work, what to buy?

I need a new stereo setup. I'm a music lecturer and I only listen to classical music. Orchestral, piano, voice, lots of new music, some with electronics etc…

My office is small, about 9' x 14'. The thin end has a window all the way along, and I usually sit facing the window at a desk.

I will be using my Macbook Pro Retina with a Meridian Explorer as the main source. Sometimes I listen to LPs, but I don't have a fancy LP player and won't be buying one. Most of the music I listen to is from CD, sometimes online (soundcloud, youtube… sad but true, all necessary for work).

I mostly sit at my computer, and so I need something that can sit on my desk. (I think this is really a constraint. I have thought about rearranging my room around some speakers, but I'm not sure how practical this would be given how small the room is (the rest of the walls are lined with bookcases). I can imagine speakers standing in the middle of the room might get knocked over etc… But I'm open to ideas)

I really have no idea where to start looking. At home I have some Tanoy R3s and Denon amp, 755AR CD player etc.. and I like the sound (or at least I did when I was a teenager and bought it, and now I'm totally used to the sound). At the moment at work I mostly listen to music with Denon AH-D2000s a I can't help but want a bit more clarity from my speakers than I used to. The Explorer sounds a treat.

I don't have endless money (hard working lecturer). But I think about 2000-3000 on some speakers and an amp might be ok. What proportion do I spend on an amp? Do I get one with phono? or use the cheap preamp I bought for my LP player (I think so)?

What do I gain over spending less? Or more? Is there a good argument either way?

As I often have neighbours, I need to a system that sounds ok at low volume and in the office space. Though I don't have neighbours on weekends and holidays (hard working lecturer, right?!) and over the summer when other people work from home.

I'd like this to be a one-off purchase, rather than part of a continual upgrade project. I have the money now and I'd like to still think it sounds sweet in 15+ years. If I need to spend a touch more then I'd rather get it right.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Speakers are the most highly personal selection and will in many cases dictate what amps will or will not work with your set up. So I'd say first find a set of speakers you really like. I'd advise against putting them on the desk. That will compromise the sound. Stands and Monitors can give you placement flexibilty and in your price range you should be able to find some great sounding ones. Some might counsel a 50/50 split between speakers and amp but I'd lean more toward 2/3 speakers/stands, 1/3 amp. Maybe instead of the Meridian you could go to an all in one solution like a Peachtree Nova125 (50/50 split) or Decco65 (66/33 split). Both have built in dacs, analog input for your turntable, and headphone jacks. But I'd definitely pick your speakers first and let that choice drive everything else.

Family Room: Panny TCP65S2, Panny BDP-55, DTV HR-24, SB Touch, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Yamaha RX-V3900, Emotiva XPA-3, Rocket NM 550's, Rocket 150's, X-CS, UFW-10, Harmony 700.

Computer Room: Dell laptop, Uptone Regen Amber, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Decware SE84C+, Zu Omen, ALO National, Mr.Speakers Mad Dog headphones

Gallo Strada 2 speakers (you can buy them direct from Gallo, with a 60-day money back guaranty):

Reference Strada 2 Side Speaker Bundle - Reference Speakers

See extensive review, including lots of commentary with respect to using the Strada 2 as a desktop solution here:

6moons audio reviews: Gallo Acoustics Strada 2

That'll run ya $2K. These are at a different, higher level than most desktop speakers on the market. Use the rest of your budget on integrated amp. Be sure to set aside $75 for Audirvana Plus playback software.

And you sir, will be set- so you can kick back and enjoy your music, and not worry about upgrades. These speakers will stand the test of time.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Thanks for the replies. I think the Strada 2 might be a touch out of my price range, with no change from $4000 Australian dollars (2x $1500 + $1000 on a sub), and therefore nothing to spend on an amp. But I'll try to have a listen and hear how they sound. I guess I need the subwoofer for any desktop solution?

I'll investigate the Peachtree suggestions for sure. I think I'm going to be somewhat limited by what is imported into Australia (Len Wallis is about the only good place left in Sydney from what I can see...).

Thanks for the replies. I think the Strada 2 might be a touch out of my price range, with no change from $4000 Australian dollars (2x $1500 + $1000 on a sub), and therefore nothing to spend on an amp. But I'll try to have a listen and hear how they sound. I guess I need the subwoofer for any desktop solution?

I'll investigate the Peachtree suggestions for sure. I think I'm going to be somewhat limited by what is imported into Australia (Len Wallis is about the only good place left in Sydney from what I can see...).

Desktop vs. standmount: both are good solutions. You have to listen to a few and see if there are desktop solutions that would make you happy, as from your description of space, etc., a desktop solution might be preferable. The two suggestions above are both good ones. This has been discussed before, see:

$500-$600 powered desktop speakers

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f12-headphones-and-speakers/desktop%5Cnearfield-audio-speakers-15167/

Subwoofer: Maybe. Depends on your taste and listening preferences. Lots of people are very happy with QUALITY bass reproduction that only goes down to 50-70 hz before rolloff, so if I were you and wanted to audition a desktop system, I'd take some music that has some low bass in it and see if a quality desktop system without a sub works for you or not

I suggest you go to StereoNET Australia - at the forum there you can find plenty of helpful people who can tell you what's available in Oz and where to buy it.

On the other hand, pretty much everything these days can be bought on the Net and personally imported, even to Oz.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

First, consider that you can get truly state of the art headphones for US$1000. Loudspeakers at that price will be compromised for classical music.

If you need loudspeakers, Pro Audio gear often can be more cost effective than consumer gear. Also, many Pro Audio monitoring loudspeakers are perfect for desktop use: they are designed for near-field listening (whereas consumer loudspeakers are almost always designed for far-field listening), and they include a built-in power amplifier and often a volume control on the front.

The Adam Audio A3X is US$650 and received a favorable review from Stereophile magazine's Michael Lavorgna:

ADAM Professional Audio A3X | AudioStream

Robert E Greene (TAS reviewer, math professor, and amateur violinist) likes Genelec, but they cover a very wide range of prices and I don't know what price point he referred to.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

I'd go and demo some monitor speakers from the likes of Dynaudio, Focal, PMC, Adam and Genelec. If you are using a computer to play your CDs, then I would also look at KEF's X300A.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Sorry, it looks like I made some incorrect assumptions on your location. I would note that the original Strada's are an excellent speaker and you might be able to pick those up second hand and realize a huge savings.

I also totally agree with Firedog's comments.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

fwiw, if you have a large desk pair of kef ls50's large for desk but unbelievable sound for you music genre and a peachtree amp

main system; mac mini/mac os mountain lion/bel canto usb/cambridge audio dac magic/creek destiny intregrated/reference 3a mm de cappo i/svs pb-12-nsd/dh labs cables and wires/denon ah-d2000

I'm grateful for all these ideas. I have thought about headphones, but I have a pair I'm happy with, and I find listening without headphones much more pleasurable, even if the compromises are more obvious...

I read the '$500-$600 powered desktop speakers' thread before posting but that seemed less money than I had, and perhaps I assumed the more money would get me something that sounded better...

Again, many thanks! Seems like I ought to go and listen to everything I can.

If neutrality, transparency and flat response are Your priorities try Amphion Ion

Good suggestion. Amphion makes great speakers.

To follow up on SoundRebel's NuForce suggestion, if your desktop space is limited and need something with a small footprint, this seems to be an interesting option (I have never personally heard any NuForce gear):

NuForce "Home Series" Quality Compact Audio Gear | InnerFidelity

I have desk space...

IMG_8312.jpg

I'm hoping to get to listen to some Peachtree amps this weekend. And the more I read about the Kef LS50s the more I want to have a listen!

I'm not even sure I know what 'neutral' means. I grew up in a house with 1970s KEF Concertos and so that sound has stayed with me, and I don't know what my Tannoy R3s that I usually listen to seem second nature now (if kind of boring?). For sure what I get needs to be flexible enough for all the orchestral/piano/chamber/voice music that I listen to.

Thanks for all the links.

Reading reading reading. Looking forward to listening listening listening!

So, I went and had a good listen to some Operas, which I liked, and the KEF LS50, which I really liked. I think their sound will suite the breadth of my listening really well. They didn't have Amphions...

What amp? I mostly listened through a Marantz pm6004, which I thought sounded good, and also a Peachtree Nova 125, which sounded a little bit better, but perhaps not more than a little bit better (a bit over twice the price). I guess the advantage is an inbuilt DAC. Advantages/disadvantages?

How much better (or worse) is the DAC in a Nova 125 than the Meridian Explorer that I already have (in combination with the Marantz, say)?

So, I went and had a good listen to some Operas, which I liked, and the KEF LS50, which I really liked. I think their sound will suite the breadth of my listening really well. They didn't have Amphions...

What amp? I mostly listened through a Marantz pm6004, which I thought sounded good, and also a Peachtree Nova 125, which sounded a little bit better, but perhaps not more than a little bit better (a bit over twice the price). I guess the advantage is an inbuilt DAC. Advantages/disadvantages?

How much better (or worse) is the DAC in a Nova 125 than the Meridian Explorer that I already have (in combination with the Marantz, say)?

Built in dac has the advantage of a very neat package. All in one, no cables, no stack. Separate dac gives you the ability to upgrade either the amp or the dac as desired. If the TT input is important the Peachtrees give you something that is not very common, especially at this price point (unless you go to full-sized integrated like the Marantz.) I'd think the Decco 65 should work for you. Small foot ptint. More power than the Marantz, less $$ than the Nova 125. Though "people say" the KEFs sound better with more power. Can you audition the Decco65 with the KEFs and return it for the Nova125 if you're not happy?

Family Room: Panny TCP65S2, Panny BDP-55, DTV HR-24, SB Touch, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Yamaha RX-V3900, Emotiva XPA-3, Rocket NM 550's, Rocket 150's, X-CS, UFW-10, Harmony 700.

Computer Room: Dell laptop, Uptone Regen Amber, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Decware SE84C+, Zu Omen, ALO National, Mr.Speakers Mad Dog headphones

fwiw, imo the Marantz or the peachtree amp will be plenty for your size room. as for what will sound better the Marantz with the meridian or the decco amp is going to have to be answered by you. also imo with your size office the smaller and less devices and wires the better. just my 2 cents and just remember what you hear out in some stores and shops might sound totally different in your room and surroundings. have fun and good luck with what ever you come up with

main system; mac mini/mac os mountain lion/bel canto usb/cambridge audio dac magic/creek destiny intregrated/reference 3a mm de cappo i/svs pb-12-nsd/dh labs cables and wires/denon ah-d2000

So I bit the bullet and bought a pair of Kef LS50s, with a Marantz PM7004. I'm very very pleased. It sounds great!

I think I might need to work nocturnally so that I can listen to endless music without anyone else nearby!

The only doubt I now have is about the cable from my meridian explorer to the amplifier. I went for a Ortofon interconnect: Reference 6NX-MPR 30 Mini-Jack

But I'm thinking it's the weakest link in the setup. Still, short of a new DAC I don't have much choice. Something for the future!

Thanks for all your help.

congrats on your new purchases looks like a great combo. (i was wowed by the kef ls50 when I first heard them especially for their price) now just kick back and enjoy and maybe sometime soon come back and give a review and some pics

• 2 months later...

Hello all! I owe you a review!

I'm very happy with my setup. I am hearing all sorts of things I never heard before, and listening to recordings that I thought I knew well is constantly rewarding.

I have found the LS50s terrifically clear. I really like to analytical they are, and it suits my style of listening - I'm write about music, and the details are important to me, and so is being able to hear everything that's going on. But I also have found myself in the office on the weekend, just for fun :)

I was a bit suspicious about Audivarna, and how much of a difference it would make, but I am very pleased that I bought a copy. I've done a few side-by-side tests and I'm convinced it's much much better. I also tried on a couple of people who don't listen to my setup, in a blind study, and they easily picked the playing with Audivarna as much better.

The only downside I have found is that the speakers sound much better some distance from my desk. Most of the way to the back wall. But this has kept my listening, rather than listening and fiddling about at the computer (which means I hear nothing). Partly it's a spacing issue aside a 27" screen, but I also think the sound is just better some distance away. I guess that's why they aren't sold as computer speakers :)

I have found myself listening to high resolution recordings more often, and that's where I want to spend my money. Given his much better they sound, with my explorer DAC, I'm surprised that they aren't now standard. It's such a huge difference. I have a pair of Bose QC15 headphones that I bought for flying some time ago, and even them, with the DAC, and nice high resolution recording, made the long flight to London (down the back of the plane) much better.

(So much better, in fact, that a project I had in London - which was producing a recording with a string quartet, which is something I don't normally do - is hopefully coming out on CD and with highresaudio.com as 192/24)

All done, I'm very happy. Thanks once again to all those who contributed above.