IGNORED

C.A.P.S V3 ZUMA vs. C.A.P.S V3 CARBON?

Has anyone compared the sound quality of these two servers?

I want the best sounding server regardless of cost and often, "less is more".

I just spoke with Andy at Small Green Computer who explained the physical differences between the two servers. They both use the same SATA and USB cards and they are built with the same quality but different components. Zuma has a faster, more "powerful" processor with more RAM, built to handle ALL the features of JRiver and other player software such as DSP and video, etc. Zuma produces more heat, RFI and EMI - all of which have potentially degrading effects, than does Carbon. It appears that Carbon has the potential to sound better than Zuma!

I will use JRiver for 2-channel playback ONLY with no DSP or any other features whatsoever. I will use the "play music from memory" setting but I believe 4GB of RAM will be more than enough. Is there any reason to choose Zuma over Carbon in my case?

I've not heard either the Zuma or Carbon but I've noticed that the person who designed both of them (Chris Connaker) has, to date, only mentioned the Carbon as associated equipment in his reviews.

I think the Zuma might be preferred for users of intense software such as JPlay. In my system, JPlay makes a slight difference but is reported to sound even better with powerful CPUs.

IMO, a high quality DAC makes much more sonic difference than anything you can do on the computer side (provided you've taken the basic steps to get bit-perfect signals, etc).

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

If you aren't going to use the processing power, no reason to get the Zuma

but I would check and make sure 4GB of RAM is enough for memory play.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

You are asking whether the changes which are the ac to dc adapter, the voltage converters - dc to dc (picoPSU and on-board v on-board), the heat, emi and rfi of the cpu with extra processing power v the cooler less powerful one which is on a smaller board add up to noticeable differences.

I don't have a Carbon because the case is hard to get in the UK but do have listening experience with the core parts. I would opt for the Zuma, maybe with an I3 3225 for your intended use and try Windows Server 2012.

I appreciate the speculative responses to my question thus far but going forward, I'd like to get responses ONLY from those people who have DIRECTLY COMPARED Zuma to Carbon for 2-channel audio playback, 44Hz - DSD 128, with the "play from memory" setting in JRiver.

I would expect other potential buyers of a CAPS server may also like to have this information.

I appreciate the speculative responses to my question thus far but going forward, I'd like to get responses ONLY from those people who have DIRECTLY COMPARED Zuma to Carbon for 2-channel audio playback, 44Hz - DSD 128, with the "play from memory" setting in JRiver.

I would expect other potential buyers of a CAPS server may also like to have this information.

And how many people do you think there are like this? Probably Chris, Andrrew at SGC, and MAYBE a handful of others. Do you seriously think lots of users have built both and compared them? Or that lots of CAPS builders just happen to have a neighbor who's built the opposite model that they can easily DIRECTLY COMPARE, as you put it?

IF Andrew or Chris can't answer your question I'm not sure you're going to get many of the kind of responses you're asking for.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

And how many people do you think there are like this? Probably Chris, Andrrew at SGC, and MAYBE a handful of others. Do you seriously think lots of users have built both and compared them? Or that lots of CAPS builders just happen to have a neighbor who's built the opposite model that they can easily DIRECTLY COMPARE, as you put it?

IF Andrew or Chris can't answer your question I'm not sure you're going to get many of the kind of responses you're asking for.

Exactly. How many have heard both? How many have heard both on the same system? How many have heard both in their system?

Chris Connaker and ???

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Exactly. How many have heard both? How many have heard both on the same system? How many have heard both in their system?

Chris Connaker and ???

I have both and tried both on the same system. They both sound fantastic but if you are planning on ever using DXD files the Carbon starts running out of horsepower. Despite being "limited" to 4 Gb of Memory you can go to 8 with the Carbon but you may still experience an occasional stutter with DXD.

If JPlay is in your future you definitely need a Zuma, hence why I got a Zuma but ultimately decided the recently released MSB driver sounds better via JRiver and ASIO.

Personally I like the Zuma better as IMO demonstrates more depth but the most important aspects for either are using Red Wine Black Lightening and an Acoustic Revive RLI-1 LAN filter. There are also some other tweaks you can do with a Zuma if you stray and use a different case. Also if you want to use Server 2012 with either JPlay or JRiver a Zuma is a must.

My Zuma is now in my main system and my Carbon in my second system.

Thanks Priaptor, I appreciate your informed opinion!

No problem.

If you plan on using a Paul Pang SATA cable which I HIGHLY recommend you will need a taller case than what Chris recommends.

Paul Pang also makes a USB card which is superb, 130 dollars cheaper than the SOTM but does not have an external power input so if you use Red Wine's Black Lightening Vinnie will have to make you a 5 volt Molex capable cable to connect to Pang's card internally which is no big deal. Or just stick with the SOTM USB card at 9v which does have an external power input.

I also recommend Pang's USB cable which is superb besting my AQ Diamond which has been relegated to my second system despite costing 2x the price of Pang's cable.

However the "magic ingredient" for whatever server you choose is the Acoustic Revive RLI-1 which I really like.

Priaptor, once again, I appreciate your enthusiastic and insightful comments!

I have many decisions to make but I will buy a Zuma or Carbon with a Black Lightning PSU and the Acoustic Revive RLI-1 because it's easy to compare "with & without" this simple, in-line device. However, substituting different USB cards or internal cables is not part of my plan because I have no conclusive reasons to do so and I am not inclined to "experiment forever" with gear. If I begin to "re-think" every part of the server designs, I'll "go nuts"!

Priaptor, once again, I appreciate your enthusiastic and insightful comments!

I have many decisions to make but I will buy a Zuma or Carbon with a Black Lightning PSU and the Acoustic Revive RLI-1 because it's easy to compare "with & without" this simple, in-line device. However, substituting different USB cards or internal cables is not part of my plan because I have no conclusive reasons to do so and I am not inclined to "experiment forever" with gear. If I begin to "re-think" every part of the server designs, I'll "go nuts"!

I fully understand. I would give the edge to Pang's card BUT if you want Andrew from Small Green Computer to build one you can't go wrong with the SOTM USB card and the external power connector makes it simple with the Black Lightening power supply.