IGNORED

Call for testers! Daphile

Top explanation. I’ve re-started the server and giving it a go now. I’ve played one album so far and the system load seems so be slightly under 1,2 at max. So my hardware seems to be up for it. I noticed now that I forgot to save and reboot after I changed the attenuation value before. With your -3 value there seems to be no problem. Is this value a compromise somehow?

I’ve been waiting with upsampling because I thought that I would need a far better computer first. It feels almost to good to be true, that I’ve missed some setting. Maybe dsd 128 only upsampling is not so demanding?

(I noticed now that when I try to play from RAM the system load almost tripples., over 3 when the music is transfered to RAM)

It feels like a got more slam in the sound, that it is a bit more direct and musical. But maybe I imagined it all.

Superthanks Triplefun anyhow.

Daphile / Linux is much more efficient at DSD re sampling than Windows - one of the many reasons I prefer Daphile.  Also I believe the DAC attenuation needs to be visited for each DAC. I also found the more recent beta releases also had a positive impact - more stable USB handling with lower attenuation settings.

And according to http://theaudiophileman.com/naim-v1-dac/ the V1 is more efficient at handling DSD than PCM - "... DSD on the Naim is delivered with a fair ol’wallop. The energy is almost pervasive. It solidifies around you, bullies you into handing over your lunch money, beats you up after you do and then leaves you bleeding in the gutter. It can be quite a shock" and " ... The extra DSD sound option is a (pretty large) cherry on this particular cake, which not only adds to the feature count but gives you an impressive sound response.".

Enjoy !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

@kipeta

How can you check the log files under Daphile?  I am having problems mounting CIFS share which is on Win2012 R2 server which is part of the domain.

username/domainname@server_ip/public/music2 is how I am trying to mount the share and I end up with the red circle with slash going across it.  I am following the information from - https://www.daphile.com/download/DaphileInstallation.pdf listed on page 8.

The firmware version on Daphile is 17.09-x86_64-rt

From a Ubuntu Xenial System I am able to mount the same share without any problems using the command below.

mount -t cifs //server_ip/public/Music2 /mnt -o username=user,password=pwd,domain=domainname

Try ...

<user>@<server ip>/public/Music2

Eg

[email protected]/public/Music2

for log files, use the browser to access the following where daphile is the name of your daphile box ...

http://daphile/cgi-bin/audioinfo.cgi (audio related problems)
http://daphile/cgi-bin/logread.cgi
http://daphile/cgi-bin/sysinfo.cgi netmgr log from
http://daphile/cgi-bin/Devel (network related problems) media
server, squeezelite & transcoder logs, etc...

Stumbled across this post... Seems like it's the ultimate, slimmed down "frontend" to use on a PC music player...? At least in the philosophy of less is more, as in AO on Server 2012 in core mode or something. 

I currently use stripped down Win 10 thru J River to a modded ES9028 DIY DAC with SSR DC PSU using SPDIF  (thinking about upgrading to Amenero USB to utilize DSD). Music files are sent over LAN from NAS server. 

I'm curious to know how this upsamples? What algorithms does it utilize? SoX? SRC? 

I'd like to be able to make full use of my DAC with DSD512

Thanks

10 hours ago, Triplefun said:

Try ...

<user>@<server ip>/public/Music2

Eg

[email protected]/public/Music2

for log files, use the browser to access the following where daphile is the name of your daphile box ...

http://daphile/cgi-bin/audioinfo.cgi (audio related problems)
http://daphile/cgi-bin/logread.cgi
http://daphile/cgi-bin/sysinfo.cgi netmgr log from
http://daphile/cgi-bin/Devel (network related problems) media
server, squeezelite & transcoder logs, etc...

Thx, your example worked.  I am not sure why it worked with out the domain name information but at this point I am up and running.

Although I no longer use daphile and when I did it was a headless Linux os -  when mounting the shares - I had trouble until o realized that I had to click save after browsing or entering the location of my library - then it connected fine - using cffs 

1 hour ago, WuNgUn said:

Stumbled across this post... Seems like it's the ultimate, slimmed down "frontend" to use on a PC music player...? At least in the philosophy of less is more, as in AO on Server 2012 in core mode or something. 

I currently use stripped down Win 10 thru J River to a modded ES9028 DIY DAC with SSR DC PSU using SPDIF  (thinking about upgrading to Amenero USB to utilize DSD). Music files are sent over LAN from NAS server. 

I'm curious to know how this upsamples? What algorithms does it utilize? SoX? SRC? 

I'd like to be able to make full use of my DAC with DSD512

Thanks

I think Daphile uses SoX which is bundled with Logitech media server, lms. Note you can try daphile on your PC by running it in memory loaded from a USB stick without over writing your original windows install. You also need a good CPU, i5 or even i7. I use an i5 7600k which struugles when up sampling native dsd256 to dsd512 although you can set a switch to disable DSD file upsampling. Up sampling mp3, flac and hi res flac works well and produces very pleasing results, especially when compared to jriver.

3 minutes ago, Triplefun said:

I think Daphile uses SoX which is bundled with Logitech media server, lms. Note you can try daphile on your PC by running it in memory loaded from a USB stick without over writing your original windows install. You also need a good CPU, i5 or even i7. I use an i5 7600k which struugles when up sampling native dsd256 to dsd512 although you can set a switch to disable DSD file upsampling. Up sampling mp3, flac and hi res flac works well and produces very pleasing results, especially when compared to jriver.

Thanks for the reply...

I run an AMD northbridge DDR2 system with a 2.6Ghz quad core CPU and 8GB of RAM.

I have no idea what a i5 or i7 is s'pose to represent as far as clock/bus speeds. lol

I would definitely do a USB/Memory install to test it out.

13 minutes ago, WuNgUn said:

Thanks for the reply...

I run an AMD northbridge DDR2 system with a 2.6Ghz quad core CPU and 8GB of RAM.

I have no idea what a i5 or i7 is s'pose to represent as far as clock/bus speeds. lol

I would definitely do a USB/Memory install to test it out.

The i5 and i7 are Intel CPUs. I think your quad core CPU will struggle with dsd512 up sampling. Daphile provides a 'run from ram' option which supports an initial upload to ram with up sampling and then play back of the uploaded file.

8 minutes ago, Triplefun said:

The i5 and i7 are Intel CPUs. I think your quad core CPU will struggle with dsd512 up sampling. Daphile provides a 'run from ram' option which supports an initial upload to ram with up sampling and then play back of the uploaded file.

Right now I'm just doing SPDIF output at 16/192Khz, so anything above that would be an improvement...

• 3 months later...

I am looking to try Daphile on my Mac Mini,  but reading the install instructions gets me a bit worried as doing so appears to require more expertise than other players, such as setting up the boot drive in the terminal.

A couple of questions for Daphile experts, considering install on a networked headless mini:

1. If I bring in the disc image on a USB stick, can I then install and run Daphile on an SD card in the mini?

2. I use the internal HD in the mini for all music storage.  Assuming "yes" to 1. above, can I easily point Daphile to my internal drive as the source for music files?

3. Can I do 1. and 2. easily without making it difficult to return to OSX as my OS, for comparisons with Audirvana +?

I am a little concerned that I may "break" something in setting up Daphile, making it hard to get everything back to the way it was.  I have used terminal commends, but am not terribly comfortable with them. 

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

3 hours ago, barrows said:

I am looking to try Daphile on my Mac Mini,  but reading the install instructions gets me a bit worried as doing so appears to require more expertise than other players, such as setting up the boot drive in the terminal.

A couple of questions for Daphile experts, considering install on a networked headless mini:

1. If I bring in the disc image on a USB stick, can I then install and run Daphile on an SD card in the mini?

2. I use the internal HD in the mini for all music storage.  Assuming "yes" to 1. above, can I easily point Daphile to my internal drive as the source for music files?

3. Can I do 1. and 2. easily without making it difficult to return to OSX as my OS, for comparisons with Audirvana +?

I am a little concerned that I may "break" something in setting up Daphile, making it hard to get everything back to the way it was.  I have used terminal commends, but am not terribly comfortable with them. 

I wouldn't try to install it on the Mac unless you want to wipe your whole SSD, which you clearly do not. :-)  To experiment, boot Daphile on your Mac from a USB stick.  Don't attempt to erase any drives, just let it boot on its own.  Then you can check if it sees your Mac music folder.  I don't think it will, but at least you can find out.  If you want to hear how it sounds, plug in a second USB stick with some music on it, or you could put some albums on an SD card and plug that into the Mac SD slot.  It will probably recognize these.

I am having a problem with seeing all my Tidal Favorite Albums.

The Album list stops at the letter S, so I can't see or access any from T onward.

I have rescaned and flushed cache.  Problem sound familiar to anyone?

TY!

Qobuz - HQPlayer(d) 5 - M1 Mini - RPI 5 8gb - Nuc i7 - Signature Silver DC - Keces P3 PS - Lush USB - Holo Spring Dac - SRC-DX - Chord Mojo2 - Bottlehead Crack Upgraded w/ GEC or Tung-Sol 6as7/vt231 - Triode Wire Labs AC - HD-650 - GR Research V2 - Dennis Murphy Pioneer BS22 - B&W 602 S2 - Apple Music Spatial 7.1.4

• 2 weeks later...

I was listening to my home collection on my work computer today and the connection cut out. I access Daphile using a No-IP address in my browser and run Softsqueeze headless. It's not very secure but I haven't figured out ssh. I also couldn't access it on my phone using Squeeze Player + Orange Squeeze.

When I got home and onto my Wi-Fi I pulled up Orange Squeeze and still couldn't see my server there. I went to my browser, entered the local IP address and Daphile popped right up. After that it immediately became available via Orange Squeeze. Any idea what might be happening there or where I should look, in simple terms?

Here are server log entries that I think must have been written around the same time as my error:

[18-04-19 16:09:11.0031] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::Players::_players_error (368) Unable to get players from SN: Couldn't resolve IP address for: www.mysqueezebox.com, retrying in 604800 seconds [18-04-19 16:14:03.0123] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::_error (565) Unable to login to SN: Couldn't resolve IP address for: www.mysqueezebox.com [18-04-19 16:14:03.0139] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::Players::_players_error (368) Unable to get players from SN: Couldn't resolve IP address for: www.mysqueezebox.com, retrying in 1209600 seconds

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 1:10 PM, SoundSea said:

I was listening to my home collection on my work computer today and the connection cut out. I access Daphile using a No-IP address in my browser and run Softsqueeze headless. It's not very secure but I haven't figured out ssh. I also couldn't access it on my phone using Squeeze Player + Orange Squeeze.

When I got home and onto my Wi-Fi I pulled up Orange Squeeze and still couldn't see my server there. I went to my browser, entered the local IP address and Daphile popped right up. After that it immediately became available via Orange Squeeze. Any idea what might be happening there or where I should look, in simple terms?

Here are server log entries that I think must have been written around the same time as my error:

[18-04-19 16:09:11.0031] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::Players::_players_error (368) Unable to get players from SN: Couldn't resolve IP address for: www.mysqueezebox.com, retrying in 604800 seconds [18-04-19 16:14:03.0123] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::_error (565) Unable to login to SN: Couldn't resolve IP address for: www.mysqueezebox.com [18-04-19 16:14:03.0139] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::Players::_players_error (368) Unable to get players from SN: Couldn't resolve IP address for: www.mysqueezebox.com, retrying in 1209600 seconds

I'm not really familiar with 'no ip' but has this happened before, has it happened since, and could it be a router address lease timeout?

13 hours ago, Triplefun said:

I'm not really familiar with 'no ip' but has this happened before, has it happened since, and could it be a router address lease timeout?

Thanks for the response. I haven't set limits on my router myself but maybe there's a default. I've finally ditched my remote access setup with the ill advised port forwarding and set up Zerotier instead. So far it seems to work testing from my phone, both in the browser and on Squeeze Player, and I'll be heading to work soon (yeah, on a Saturday) to try it from there. I don't see any talk about this feature in Daphile threads.

On 12/31/2017 at 12:52 PM, Triplefun said:

No problems here. I am using a dual core Pentium D and I have no issues with up sampling. You do not need massive horsepower to run music.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

8 hours ago, botrytis said:

No problems here. I am using a dual core Pentium D and I have no issues with up sampling. You do not need massive horsepower to run music.

Yes not much horsepower needed when playing audio files as it is

Anything cd resolution and being upsampled to DSD resolution needs lots and lots of cpu power 

At times even 6th gen i7 struggle to do upsampling to DSD 512

6 hours ago, rikhav said:

Yes not much horsepower needed when playing audio files as it is

Anything cd resolution and being upsampled to DSD resolution needs lots and lots of cpu power 

At times even 6th gen i7 struggle to do upsampling to DSD 512

No, I have done up sampling to DSD 128. Since my DAC cannot do 512, it is not worth it for me.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

• 3 months later...

Last ditch request.

I really like the sound and features of Daphile.

I have just one problem.  I hope it is a simple fix that someone can point out.

I use Tidal, and can only load 11 pages of My Favorites albums, which brings me to 

the letter P.  Is there a way to get past 11 pages?

TY!

Jeff

1871373927_ScreenShot2018-07-30at11_07_53AM.thumb.png.b90498e24c398d18cba6b215ac89d01f.png

Qobuz - HQPlayer(d) 5 - M1 Mini - RPI 5 8gb - Nuc i7 - Signature Silver DC - Keces P3 PS - Lush USB - Holo Spring Dac - SRC-DX - Chord Mojo2 - Bottlehead Crack Upgraded w/ GEC or Tung-Sol 6as7/vt231 - Triode Wire Labs AC - HD-650 - GR Research V2 - Dennis Murphy Pioneer BS22 - B&W 602 S2 - Apple Music Spatial 7.1.4

22 minutes ago, jkelly said:

Last ditch request.

I really like the sound and features of Daphile.

I have just one problem.  I hope it is a simple fix that someone can point out.

I use Tidal, and can only load 11 pages of My Favorites albums, which brings me to 

the letter P.  Is there a way to get past 11 pages?

TY!

Jeff

1871373927_ScreenShot2018-07-30at11_07_53AM.thumb.png.b90498e24c398d18cba6b215ac89d01f.png

I don't use tidal but have you checked the lms interface number of songs per page setting in the advanced media server settings at the bottom of the settings tab?

Thank - that did change the amount of albums per page but I am still stuck at 508 albums max, which ends with the letter P. 

TY for the suggestion.