IGNORED

Call for testers! Daphile

Daphile is a audiophile class music server & player OS – targeted to dedicated headless PC.

Daphile is based on the open source Squeezebox Server, SqueezePlay and Linux. This is the first public test release.

Features

• Headless music server
  • Bitperfect and gapless playback of various audio formats up to 192kHz/24bit
  • Automatic configuration of music player for each audio device
  • Multiplayer support (eg. multiple USB DACs)
  • CD ripping with automatic metadata tagging and cover art
  • Easy configuration and installation through the web interface
  • WiFi hotspot support (if compatible hardware exists)
  • Software update via web interface
  • Whole system image ISO-file is below 200MB

The external file server use as a music source is not yet supported in this release but it will soon be (cifs,nfs). The USB drive use is currently automatic read-only usage, no support in the web interface.

Daphile is available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/daphile

Sourceforge page is still almost empty. You can find instructions in the attachment.

Instructions.pdf

I'm curious: you say based on SqueezePlay, but supporting 24/192 and gapless; but SqueezePlay doesn't support either.

Could you give some indication how this differentiates itself from VortexBox?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I was reminded about the terms of the Sourceforge site and I think I have withdraw the project from there before I have studied the terms more carefully. I think I was a bit too eager to get this shared. I'll come back with new information later but I think it will be delayed due to the vacation plans.

I guess you are now confusing Squeezeslave and SqueezePlay. The former does not but the latter does.

I am not able compare it to Vortexbox because I haven't used it too much. I think the basic idea is pretty much the same.

The focus and idea in the development of Daphile was to offer easy to setup system for audiophile who does not want to fiddle with computer and software installations and settings. For example you just plug a new USB Dac into Daphile computer and without any configuration you have new player at media server.

The external file server use as a music source is not yet supported in this release but it will soon be (cifs,nfs). The USB drive use is currently automatic read-only usage, no support in the web interface.

was the external file server playback issue solved?

• 3 weeks later...

Could you please add to vim /etc/network/interfaces

auto eth1

iface eth1 inet dhcp

I was unable to test the previous version because my atom machine use only eth1 for some unknown reason and I didn't had time to fiddle around inittab to gain access to console.

Thanks

First of all: sorry for my poor English.

I don’t want that the following comments to sound like a definitive critic. I respect your work put in this project and it looks quite good.

In my opinion it is really something that should be tried.

I have used daphile-13.08-b030710-x86_64.iso

Pro:

1. The web interface rocks

Cons:

1. Lack of m2tech driver - I was unable to use my DAC because of lack of driver
  2. On atom the interface is still not detected – I used my main computer for tests and without a console I cannot help you with this (for a solution see my previous post, it worked for me)
  3. Network drivers – is not reliable. First time I din’t work so I had to enter in the log and find out that the mount point should be /srv/mediaserver/music . I think is easier to automatically create subfolders for each share. For example /srv/mediaserver/music/file-server1 etc …
  4. IMO is a system too closed for a normal linux user and for a windows user there are too many new things to setup – a step by step guide setup may be useful
  5. I think a status message on the main audio player page for when library update is running should be useful. I don’t know how a user can make an unscheduled update of library if case of a new file or folder added on the file server.
  6. No dsd dsf support? With the plethora of new DACs that support dsd over dop this is a major drawn back

I cannot comment of SQ for 2 reasons:

1. I was not able to use the DAC see point 1 above
  2. I usually failed to sense the difference of SQ between bit perfect players (FB2K vs jriver) despite the fact that I like to think that I have a resolving system. But in my defence I can clearly spot the difference between dac and computer audio board :P

Something about me and my system:

I’m using a minimal linux system build with debian live build running from USB, mpd compiled from latest git. Until now I have tried mpdpup, voyage linux but because I wanted an amd64 distribution I went for debian livebuild.

File server => Core i3 / 16Gb / diskless / fanless => Audiobyte SilverDragon => VTL IT-85 => Offrendre Supreme v2 or HD650 hooked up in DAC of VTL

And for tests I have an atom minisystem, and I recently I bought a wanboard quad (I compiled the DAC driver and latest mpd git and I’m quite happy with it)

You should really think to port the system to arm, test some available boards (try focus on usb and network implementation) and you will have a nice streamer. I think the arm thing will be the next hype in the computer audiophile as they draw little power and this translates in a small RF and EMI pollution (of course in the proper implementation) and a bonus a good 5V 2A power source is easy to build.

Thanks for your feedback. Find my comments and answers below.

1. Lack of m2tech driver - I was unable to use my DAC because of lack of driver

I have included snd-usb-hiface.ko but because I don't have such a DAC by myself I haven't been able to test it.

2. On atom the interface is still not detected – I used my main computer for tests and without a console I cannot help you with this (for a solution see my previous post, it worked for me)

Could you perhaps give more information about your Atom PC. Please send it though:

http://www.daphile.com/#contact

3. Network drivers – is not reliable. First time I din’t work so I had to enter in the log and find out that the mount point should be /srv/mediaserver/music . I think is easier to automatically create subfolders for each share. For example /srv/mediaserver/music/file-server1 etc …

In the Storages settings the "Local mount name" is meant to be short ID for the share (not the mount point). Each network storage will have its own mount point directory automatically (name with "Local mount name") at "/srv/mediaserver/music/Network Drives/".

4. IMO is a system too closed for a normal linux user and for a windows user there are too many new things to setup – a step by step guide setup may be useful

I understand. Let's see how this develops. At least I'll try to improve documentation because the main target is to have easy to setup and use system for audiophiles who don't want install, compile, setup and configure system by themselves.

5. I think a status message on the main audio player page for when library update is running should be useful. I don’t know how a user can make an unscheduled update of library if case of a new file or folder added on the file server.

Library update status is available on Info page. Daphile should update library automatically if there are any changes in the library.

6. No dsd dsf support? With the plethora of new DACs that support dsd over dop this is a major drawn back

This is definitely something that I'm also interested though I don't currently have a DAC with DSD support. I'll look into this in the future.

You should really think to port the system to arm, test some available boards (try focus on usb and network implementation) and you will have a nice streamer. I think the arm thing will be the next hype in the computer audiophile as they draw little power and this translates in a small RF and EMI pollution (of course in the proper implementation) and a bonus a good 5V 2A power source is easy to build.

I tried one ARM board but I wasn't very pleased with it. I haven't found any good board that would also have SATA. I ended up to a Atom N2600 which is also very low power. I have Jetway JBC362F36W-2600-B equiped with SSD which gives me completely silent solution. Its Wifi module supports WLAN hotspot (hostapd) functionality.

I have included snd-usb-hiface.ko but because I don't have such a DAC by myself I haven't been able to test it.

maybe it lacks a "depmod -a" ?

Could you perhaps give more information about your Atom PC. Please send it though:

Daphile – Digital Music Convinience for Audiophiles

In the Storages settings the "Local mount name" is meant to be short ID for the share (not the mount point). Each network storage will have its own mount point directory automatically (name with "Local mount name") at "/srv/mediaserver/music/Network Drives/".

maybe an example is needed in the input box? as one that is in place for cifs share?

I understand. Let's see how this develops. At least I'll try to improve documentation because the main target is to have easy to setup and use system for audiophiles who don't want install, compile, setup and configure system by themselves.

I totally agree. But for the beta phase/testers a shell should be available, just not to waste time with a lot of emails.

Library update status is available on Info page. Daphile should update library automatically if there are any changes in the library.

for large music collections it can take some time. for example in ncmpcc (a mps server client) you can force an update just for a folder / subfolders

This is definitely something that I'm also interested though I don't currently have a DAC with DSD support. I'll look into this in the future.

If you need help just ask :) I have a dsd dac.

I tried one ARM board but I wasn't very pleased with it. I haven't found any good board that would also have SATA. I ended up to a Atom N2600 which is also very low power. I have Jetway JBC362F36W-2600-B equiped with SSD which gives me completely silent solution. Its Wifi module supports WLAN hotspot (hostapd) functionality.

same as above I can test it on a quad wandboard. I'm currently running debian with mpd on it and so far I'm happy with the performance.

Hi "kipeta",

I guess the Daphile solution would be interesting if you manage to play

PCM with 24/352, DSD64 and DSD128 as well.

Which Kernel version you use?

So far the competitor VortexBox lacks the functionality to work with e.g. Playback Designs.

This problem should be fixed using the relatively new 3.10 Kernel which means about one

year waiting time (or trying Daphile?).

Hi "kipeta",

I guess the Daphile solution would be interesting if you manage to play

PCM with 24/352, DSD64 and DSD128 as well.

Which Kernel version you use?

So far the competitor VortexBox lacks the functionality to work with e.g. Playback Designs.

This problem should be fixed using the relatively new 3.10 Kernel which means about one

year waiting time (or trying Daphile?).

PCM with 24/352 and even with 384 might work already but I haven't been able to verify it (no HW).

DSD support is definitely one of the most requested feature. And also with high priority on my list. Does anyone have or know good open source implementation for DSD2PCM conversion and DOP-framing. I wouldn't like to code them from scratch.

Current kernel is 3.6.11.6-rt38. I ended up using the realtime patch just to avoid couple USB Audio related problems (threadirqs with standard kernel didn't help). This is the latest so called stable realtime kernel version. I have once tried the first realtime patch (3.10.4-rt1 released just Aug 1st) for the 3.10 series but I'm not ready to go there yet.

Thanks for testing. It would be nice to know what was the problem with sound and what was your setup.

There is no problem with the sound. I do not like the sound quality compared with my reference setup.

Sound muddy, no better than Windows+Jplay. Sound like a mpdpup.

I listen to high resolution music (FLAC), and I do not understand where the air, where the resolution.

My Setup: Intel dn2800mt, usb dac, debian-based rt + mpd/squeezelite.

PCM with 24/352 and even with 384 might work already but I haven't been able to verify it (no HW).

DSD support is definitely one of the most requested feature. And also with high priority on my list. Does anyone have or know good open source implementation for DSD2PCM conversion and DOP-framing. I wouldn't like to code them from scratch.

Current kernel is 3.6.11.6-rt38. I ended up using the realtime patch just to avoid couple USB Audio related problems (threadirqs with standard kernel didn't help). This is the latest so called stable realtime kernel version. I have once tried the first realtime patch (3.10.4-rt1 released just Aug 1st) for the 3.10 series but I'm not ready to go there yet.

DoP works with MPD I believe.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Again another test release available at www.daphile.com!

CHANGES on August 9th 2013:

• BUG FIX for network manager. The bug had previously prevented the operation of some ethernet and wireless adapters (thanks to Luca N. for reporting the problem).
  • Ethernet MAC address and Wake-on-LAN support reported at Info page (WOL is enabled if HW and BIOS setup supports it)
  • Some other minor changes

Again another test release available at www.daphile.com!

CHANGES on August 9th 2013:

• BUG FIX for network manager. The bug had previously prevented the operation of some ethernet and wireless adapters (thanks to Luca N. for reporting the problem).
  • Ethernet MAC address and Wake-on-LAN support reported at Info page (WOL is enabled if HW and BIOS setup supports it)
  • Some other minor changes

Hello Kipeta!

What kind of headless pc are you using or you may recommend?

Thanks.