IGNORED

DSD Titles Available from HDTT

Just received an e-mail from High Definition Tape Transfer announcing the availability of a few titles in DSD64 and DSD128 formats.

More details here:

http://www.highdeftapetransfers.com/page.php?wid=28

PowerConditioning: PS Audio UPC-200; Hdplex 300W

Server: Windows 2019-CORE+AO3+Jriver24/HQPlayer 

Source: Mytek Brooklyn Amp: Audio-GD C501, AVA Set 120

Speakers: Spendor SP2, Tannoy Saturn S10

Desktop: W10+Topping D90+Stax  SRS3100

However, the DSD files are not new masters, but are derived from the original PCM masters. See :

https://www.highdeftapetransfers.com/page.php?wid=27

We use our DXD 24bit/352.8khz and 24bit/192 (for DSD64 only if DXD is not available) master files and Weiss Saracon SRC program to create our DSD files.

So, what are the reasons we should buy the DSD files instead of the original DXD or 24/192 master files ? They are not event cheaper. We could even use the free Korg Audiogate software and perform the PCM to DSD conversion ourselves, would this make any sense.

Foobar 2000 + JPlay -> HRT Music Streamer II -> QED Performance Audio 2 -> Rega Mira 3 -> QED Silver Anniversary XT -> Triangle Lyrr XS.

However, the DSD files are not new masters, but are derived from the original PCM masters. See :

So, what are the reasons we should buy the DSD files instead of the original DXD or 24/192 master files ? They are not event cheaper. We could even use the free Korg Audiogate software and perform the PCM to DSD conversion ourselves, would this make any sense.

No sense at all.

I user Korg to convert any High res audio or high res LP rips I have. I convert it to 5.6mhz DSD then reconvert it to 24bit 96K lossless.

I know most will think I'm crazy but the DSD conversion to my ears give the audio a warmer more analog like sound signature. The first time I did this for fun I closely examined the wavforms and they looked reasonably different than the original files so the conversion process did change the audio and happen to change it in a way I liked.

I won't get into the debate about trying to get transparent to the source but to my ears and eyes I enjoy the DSD converted audio more than the starting audio.

It's free and you can try it yourself so no harm if you don't notice a difference.

No sense at all.

Context matters. What if, as in my DAC, PCM is subject to processing steps that DSD is not?

It is as if you would say CD is always a better medium than vinyl to someone who turns out to have only a turntable for playback.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Context matters. What if, as in my DAC, PCM is subject to processing steps that DSD is not?

It is as if you would say CD is always a better medium than vinyl to someone who turns out to have only a turntable for playback.

Jud,

I think you missed these guys' point. So, for your DAC, buy the PCM at a lower price, then convert to DSD with Audiogate (or one of your players like the DSD upsampling Foobar plugin).

I like Robert's work over on HDTT, but in this case it surprises me. I assumed, before reading the detail, that he was taking his analog tapes and going direct to DSD. This new DSD offering is an additional conversion and makes little sense. We're trying to go the other way (i.e find master copies that are closest to the original). Give me analog-to-24/192 any day over analog-to-24/352-to-DSD.

Hey Jud,

First, I don't think there exists a DAC nowdays that support DSD only (aka turntable) and not PCM (aka CD). Second, vinyl and CD d not compare to DXD and DSD in this HDTT case, in the sense that vinyl is not directly derived from the CD 16/44.1 data, whereas in the case of HDDT, DSD is directly derived from DXD.

JN

Foobar 2000 + JPlay -> HRT Music Streamer II -> QED Performance Audio 2 -> Rega Mira 3 -> QED Silver Anniversary XT -> Triangle Lyrr XS.

Isn't the Lampizator DSD DAC specified to do just that?

There will be more that one Lampi Dac. On level 5 with 2 boxes (2nd box for PSU) there is enough space for hosting a PCM Dac and a DSD Dac, so they can co-habit.

On a L3 or 4 one box solution, there is not enough space so he says he will make a dedicated DSD Dac for the L3/L4 guys who want Tube converterless DSD. maybe in the future he will engineer a 1 box hybrid Dac????

The DSD only dac wont be avaialble till someetime in July so Jnantoine is still correct for the moment.

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to update this thread with some positive news...not just positive in the issue of PCM to DSD conversion, but with respect to honest labeling of the DSD download.

HDTT now distinguishes PCM to DSD conversions from direct to DSD conversions. This lets the consumer make a fully informed decision as to the format they wish to download. They call their direct to DSD conversions "PureDSD" and are fully transparent with the process on those that are not (so we can load the PCM files instead if that is our preference).

pure_DSD.jpg

When you see this logo this will tell you that the DSD files you are about to purchase were transferred straight to a DSD Analog to Digital converter with no PCM conversion for editing or processing. This means you are getting the purist transfer right off the original tape master.

If the title is not recorded in "Pure DSD" we use our DXD 24bit/352.8khz master files and Weiss Saracon SRC program to create our DSD files.

I'm going to try out the Kid Ory "Pure DSD128" download for $15.30.

https://www.highdeftapetransfers.com/product.php?pid=7197

I would like to congratulate High Definition Tape Transfers for their honest and open business practice and I hope that this practice is emulated by other DSD providers such as Acoustic Sounds (particularly when they release the Sony DSDs).

Best,

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

I just wanted to update this thread with some positive news...not just positive in the issue of PCM to DSD conversion, but with respect to honest labeling of the DSD download.

HDTT now distinguishes PCM to DSD conversions from direct to DSD conversions. This lets the consumer make a fully informed decision as to the format they wish to download. They call their direct to DSD conversions "PureDSD" and are fully transparent with the process on those that are not (so we can load the PCM files instead if that is our preference).

I'm going to try out the Kid Ory "Pure DSD128" download for $15.30.

https://www.highdeftapetransfers.com/product.php?pid=7197

I would like to congratulate High Definition Tape Transfers for their honest and open business practice and I hope that this practice is emulated by other DSD providers such as Acoustic Sounds (particularly when they release the Sony DSDs).

Best,

John

I too applaud HDTT for being clear and open about their formats. However, it must still be kept in mind that for the bulk of their "reissue" catalog they have access to neither master tapes nor anything close to it - they transfer from a cleaned up LP, or from a two-track commercial tape, like the open-reel tapes that were made available at the time for audio enthusiasts. They are for the most part an "out of copyright" sourcer. So regadless of format and disclosure, there is little to nothing coming out of there that I could or would purchase.

Too bad they don't go 'legit' and cut a deal with the labels to get access to master tapes.

I too applaud HDTT for being clear and open about their formats. However, it must still be kept in mind that for the bulk of their "reissue" catalog they have access to neither master tapes nor anything close to it - they transfer from a cleaned up LP, or from a two-track commercial tape, like the open-reel tapes that were made available at the time for audio enthusiasts. They are for the most part an "out of copyright" sourcer. So regadless of format and disclosure, there is little to nothing coming out of there that I could or would purchase.

Too bad they don't go 'legit' and cut a deal with the labels to get access to master tapes.

Robert, I believe that you are saying that what Witrak is doing is legal - the material is "out of copyright" like buying an edition of the King James Bible or Shakespeare, but that you "could" not purchase it. I understand "would" not, but not "could" not. I have purchased some of Bob's files.

Thanks, Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

Robert, I believe that you are saying that what Witrak is doing is legal - the material is "out of copyright" like buying an edition of the King James Bible or Shakespeare, but that you "could" not purchase it. I understand "would" not, but not "could" not. I have purchased some of Bob's files.

Thanks, Larry

I could not purchase it because I simply don't believe it is doing right by the music to shaft the company that owns the material and publishing copies of out of copyright music. The originating label still owns the master recordings.

I would not purchase anyways as I don't feel the full potential of hi-res audio is achieved by using a commercial tape copy or a vinyl rip.

Thanks for the explanation. I feel the same way about generic drugs. :-)

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

I'll only add that I bought a couple of 24/96 titles from them and think they sound very good for old recordings. Worth having.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I'll only add that I bought a couple of 24/96 titles from them and think they sound very good for old recordings. Worth having.

+1 and the prices are very reasonable. The Mahler 1 is a must have IMO.

Customer service is a little spotty though. They double billed me for a purchase and I still haven't heard back.

2012 MacMini 8G ram -> Audirvana + 3.0 -> Mcintosh MHA 100> Nordost > Audeze LCD X

The Shostakovich Sonata in D minor op. 40 for Cello and Piano to me is wonderful. Incredible, actually.

I've also enjoyed the Brahms Piano quartet, Dvorak String Quartet, the Haydn String quartets and of course Brahms Symphony No. 1. These were all 24/192 (if available) or /96.

The only DXD were a couple of cuts from the 1st Klipsch tape.

Thoroughly enjoyed all of them (although I do believe I can hear a trace of tape transport noise during Shostakovich, which harkens me back to my youth and the Sansui SD-7000 that helped me through it....)

From Radiohead to Little Feat and Bach

For jazz, classical, country and rock

I thank the Pioneer, the Mac and the Holy Peachtree

For keeping the volume higher than me