IGNORED

Looking for a DSD sound card

Hi,

I own a Lumin network player which satisfies me for serious listening, especially when I play DSD files. I also use Jriver as a server which is really great except that it can't convert DoP files to PCM. Therfore a large part of my music collection can't be played on my PC.

I am now thinking about changing my soundcard for a DoP compatible one. Does such a card exist ? I am not looking for absolute quality (that's the Lumin part) but rather for a cheap device.

Best regards

Maxime

I don't think a DSD sound card exists...

The cheapest option for DSD that I recall is the Korg -- Amazon.com: Korg Ds-dac-10 1bit USB DAC Digital Analog Converter: Electronics

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

...or use HQPlayer from Signalyst (Miska on computeraudiophile.com)

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

What is it that JRMC can't do? Bitstream DSD over ethernet/DLNA to your Lumin? Have you asked at JRiver forums?

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

Thanks Eloise for your answer, I'll give Signalyst a try today.

Hifitubes, Jriver can't convert DoP files to PCM. It can convert iso from SACD and DSF files (to be confirmed) to PCM but not DoP. I have already asked at River forums why SACD iso can't play as it should. So I am looking for another way to play DoP on my PC.

Thanks Eloise for your answer, I'll give Signalyst a try today.

Hifitubes, Jriver can't convert DoP files to PCM. It can convert iso from SACD and DSF files (to be confirmed) to PCM but not DoP. I have already asked at River forums why SACD iso can't play as it should. So I am looking for another way to play DoP on my PC.

Just to clarify, I assume you have converted your DSD files to DoP files using the Foobar SACD plugin?

Eloise

Eloise

---

• 2 years later...

Im jumping in here real late

i have posted a thread about 20 minutes ago searching for a sound card ,then i found this thread

Is it being suggested a s i think it is , that since there was no sound card for DSD , that signalyst HQ player can act as a DAC ?

im rather noob to digital PC audio , i hope i did nt make ne one spew milk from their nose when i asked that ?

Im also looking for a less expensive way to enjoy up to DSD (128 , 256 , even 512 ) if possible in a sound card ,now i have read what i think says HQ player can do that DAC task ?

i have my limit in coin invested in my headphone setup ,RSA Darkstar ,HD 800s ,Cayin N6 and too much on cables lol. Thats a bedroom setup , i was hoping for something more affordable in my front room setup (80s Meitner P6 amp/preamp , Tannoy NFM speakers )

Cheers

I have to confess I didn't realise there was a storable DoP file format, just thought it was a method for transmission on the fly.

However, if you have the original (dsf?) files, surely JRiver can just send them as DoP? I'm using JRiver as server and a Bryston BDP as renderer quite happily with .dsf files at the moment.

Unless the issue is that Lumin doesn't actually accept DoP (in which case why convert in first place?) I'm unclear as to what the issue is.

• 1 year later...

I'm a bit late to reply on this but I use Pink Faun i2s Bridge. I am using Roon it outputs DSD over DoP to a PS Audio Directstream.

It works well however I am still to find a PCI card that can output native DSD directly to the DAC. The chipset used by Pink Faun is CM8888 which unfortunately at the moment doesn't support direct DSD hopefully a firmware update soon.. Maybe.

I really like the Pink Faun product.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm a bit late to reply on this but I use Pink Faun i2s Bridge. I am using Roon it outputs DSD over DoP to a PS Audio Directstream.

It works well however I am still to find a PCI card that can output native DSD directly to the DAC. The chipset used by Pink Faun is CM8888 which unfortunately at the moment doesn't support direct DSD hopefully a firmware update soon.. Maybe.

I really like the Pink Faun product.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thank you

I went the route of a Moon 280 D dac

• 1 year later...

Interesting that it is supposed to be on the market Jan. 16th, and pricing still isn't released. Guesses?  $1000; $1500; $2000; $2500? More? 

Be very interesting to have some blind test listen to this vs a decent/similarly priced DAC.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Specifications (per EVGA):

Audio DSP:

• XMOS xCORE-200
  • Native DSD Support (up to x256)

Output Configuration:

• 2 Channel (Analog)
  • 5.1 Channel (Digital via S/PDIF)

Dynamic Range (DNR) / Signal-to-Noise (SNR):

• 123dB (Stereo Playback)
  • 121dB (Line-In Recording)

Playback Format:

• Up to 384kHz, 32bit (Stereo)
  • Up to 192kHz, 24bit (Optical)

Headphone Amp:

• 16-600ohm (Independent Analog Control)

Maximum Voltage:

• 8Vrms

Maximum Current:

• 250mA

Recording Format:

• Up to 384kHz, 32bit (Line-In)
  • Up to 192kHz, 24bit (Mic-In)

RGB Lighting:

• 10 - Mode w/ Audio Reactive Lighting

I/O:

• Stereo Out (RCA L/R)
  • Headphone Out (6.3mm)
  • Line-In (3.5mm)
  • Mic-In (3.5mm)
  • Optical Out (TOSLINK Passthrough)
  • Front Panel Header

Premium Components:

• DAC - AKM AK4493
  • ADC - AKM AK5572
  • OP-AMP (Headphone) - ADI OP275
  • OP-AMP (Line Out) - ADI AD8056
  • Capacitors - WIMA, Audio Note(UK), Nichicon
  • Power Regulators - Texas Instruments TPS7A47/TPS7A33 ultralow-noise power solution

Switchable OP-AMPs:

• Headphone, Line out

Interface:

• PCIe x1 Gen2

Power Connector:

• 1x SATA Power

Supported OS:

• Windows 10, 8.1, 7

************************************************************************************************************************

Unfortunately, no balanced out (either XLR or TRS).

mQa is dead!

11 hours ago, lucretius said:

Unfortunately, no balanced out (either XLR or TRS).

Yeah, it is clearly an ordinary consumer product, not really targeted on high-end- or pro-audio markets. But if it anywhere nearly as good as it seems, it is pretty good choice for regular HiFi. And would be competing with bunch of high-end audio too if you don't mind about lack of balanced connections. There's still a lot of high-end gear too that doesn't balanced connectivity. Especially many amps that lack more than one balanced input.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 1/10/2019 at 11:16 PM, kcwilsonii said:

I can record DSD (work in progress, kind of new at it) already and would like to 

compare the two. Playback for my files via the computer would be ideal for listening.

Not very clear from the data if it can actually record DSD, or just PCM... It could be that DSD support is only for playback side.

4 hours ago, Miska said:

Yeah, it is clearly an ordinary consumer product, not really targeted on high-end- or pro-audio markets. But if it anywhere nearly as good as it seems, it is pretty good choice for regular HiFi. And would be competing with bunch of high-end audio too if you don't mind about lack of balanced connections. There's still a lot of high-end gear too that doesn't balanced connectivity. Especially many amps that lack more than one balanced input.

Ordinary consumer product?. Well, evga opposite to most of Hi-Fi brands is a real engineering company. I own some cards from them which are really above their competitors. My ftw3 is top notch. I bet this card will become better than most of Hi-Fi dacs. 

3 hours ago, Cortes said:

Ordinary consumer product?. Well, evga opposite to most of Hi-Fi brands is a real engineering company. I own some cards from them which are really above their competitors. My ftw3 is top notch. I bet this card will become better than most of Hi-Fi dacs. 

They just had a bunch of GeForce GTX 10x0 cards that were bursting into flames because they forgot to attach also voltage regulators to the heatsink after modifying Nvidia's reference design... ;) Traditionally PNY and ASUS have been quite good at making GeForce graphics cards. I've also had bunch of PNY Quadro cards. As far as I can see, EVGA is not providing any Quadro cards.

ASUS has been doing audio hardware for a while, but nothing really extraordinary so far. Generic HiFi level.

But since this this card is inexpensive I'll just get one, hook it up to my measurement rig and see how it goes. Good if they get it right on first attempt since EVGA is not prior known for audio engineering. I'm not going over board with my expectations, I rather get happily surprised than disappointed.

Against pro-audio sector, they have RME, Lynx and bunch of other competitors to go against. For example the mic input on this audio card seems to be consumer level mic input as it is just 3.5mm jack without 48V phantom power, so not really suitable for any better microphones.