IGNORED

Article: Linn Akurate DSM Review

There's definitely a transatlantic divide in play here...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Hi Eloise - Can you be more specific?

Sorry yes... My post appears to have lost half its text...

In two respects. First (and I guess because of Linn's lead) in the UK more manufacturers are following the streaming route though several also have good USB DACs now.

Second your comment on the sound of the Linn Akurate. It sounds like its voiced in a typically British (slightly laid back) way rather than the more American (in your face) sound that your Berkeley produces.

As a final question; did you try the pre-amp capabilities of the DSM?

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

I never fail to enjoy reading your reviews, and I have a real appreciation for the wonderful photography as well. Thanks for all the great work!

One thing I've been wanting more from your reviews lately is more comparisons. I really like the way you engaged in contrasting the characteristics of Berkeley to the Linn. I'd love to see more of this! One other thing I'd love to get is some recommendations. While this product is distinctly different in many ways than, let's say the Berkeley, I'd love to get your take on preference and value. When the Linn costs a good 2 grand more, do you think you get 2k more in value or quality? Which would you rather sit back and listen to? Is there still something else in the ball park you'd be sure to check out before picking up a Linn?

Thanks again for all your hard work, dedication to promoting the hobby and for sharing it with us.

I never fail to enjoy reading your reviews, and I have a real appreciation for the wonderful photography as well. Thanks for all the great work!

One thing I've been wanting more from your reviews lately is more comparisons. I really like the way you engaged in contrasting the characteristics of Berkeley to the Linn. I'd love to see more of this! One other thing I'd love to get is some recommendations. While this product is distinctly different in many ways than, let's say the Berkeley, I'd love to get your take on preference and value. When the Linn costs a good 2 grand more, do you think you get 2k more in value or quality? Which would you rather sit back and listen to? Is there still something else in the ball park you'd be sure to check out before picking up a Linn?

Thanks again for all your hard work, dedication to promoting the hobby and for sharing it with us.

The problem with assessing value is that it depends what you compare.

For one thing, the Akurate DSM ($8500) is a complete analogue pre-amp as well as DAC. For a more direct comparison on costing you would have to compare the Berkeley plus USB ($6800) to the Akurate DS ($6990).

Second price comparisons are only relevant in USA (when made by Chris). For example he says the Akurate DSM is $8500 USD - that as a direct conversion is £5,450. However the list price of the Akurate DSM here is £5,600 GBP. On the other hand the Berkeley Alpha DAC and USB he says is $6,800 USD Okay so in this case the price comparison does work out!

Eloise

Eloise

---

No gapless playback above 24/44.1?

I have a lot of pieces of continuous music split into several files so I guess this wouldn't be the player for me.

I don't doubt this is Chris' experience - but I've never heard this complaint before...

Eloise

---

This feels like part one of a review of this product. I hope a follow up will be coming that digs into the preamp capabilities, the excellent phono stage (which by the way can play your records 24/192 to other players on the network), the ability to play ANYTHING that is on your computer (including website audio) over Ethernet at the resolution it is stored or streamed, playing any of the many music services on your computer over your network, using it as a fantastic two channel movie preamp with it's HDMI inputs and output, etc. All of these features make it a unique high performance option and nearly a "Swiss Army Knife" of the digital music age as it stands today.

I feel this piece is somewhat revolutionary in it's breadth of facilities and is a glimpse into the future of high performance digital playback and hopefully you can come back to it and explain and review some of the excellent other capabilities in the future.

David

I don't doubt this is Chris' experience - but I've never heard this complaint before...

I have an Akurate DSM and never experienced a problem with gapless replay, neither with FLAC nor ALAC nor with any resolution from 16/44 up to 24/192. Just had a listen to Linn's recording of Stravinsky's Pulcinella suite in 24/192 (ALAC), and it played gapless as it should.

I have an Akurate DSM and never experienced a problem with gapless replay, neither with FLAC nor ALAC nor with any resolution from 16/44 up to 24/192. Just had a listen to Linn's recording of Stravinsky's Pulcinella suite in 24/192 (ALAC), and it played gapless as it should.

Hi JF - Can you send me a link to that download and ill try the exact same test as you. Also what upnp server are you using and control point etc...?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi JF - Can you send me a link to that download and ill try the exact same test as you. Also what upnp server are you using and control point etc...?

I use a Synology DS209+II NAS with built-in media server (DSM 4.2). Control point is Kinsky 4.3.14 on iPad and Macbook Pro. The DSM is in Playlist mode. I guess that since the DSM is in Playlist mode, the control point is probably not involved during the gapless playback.

The album can be purchased here:

Linn Records - Stravinsky Apollon musagète & Pulcinella Suite

Continuous tracks would e.g. be Scherzino, Allegro, Andantino of the suite.

While we are talking: I remember that once I did have a problem with gapless playback. That was with a Majik DS. The FLAC files of the album happened to have a very large in-line image. After resizing the image and adding it back with "metaflac" it played without gap.

Perhaps worth a try before spending money on an album?

While we are talking: I remember that once I did have a problem with gapless playback. That was with a Majik DS. The FLAC files of the album happened to have a very large in-line image. After resizing the image and adding it back with "metaflac" it played without gap.

Perhaps worth a try before spending money on an album?

Thanks jf3011 I'll take a deeper look into this.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Like the other Linn owners, I have never had a problem with gapless on a Linn DS at any sample rate.

I currently own a Klimax DS/1 and owned an Akurate DS/0 previously.

I currently use Asset UPnP w/ a Synology 412+ NAS, but I also use mimimserver from time to time. control points I have used are Kinsky, Bubble DS and others.

regardless of the software or control point used, gapless has always played flawlessly on my Linn DS players. Highly recommended.

ChrisG

Bend, OR

Chris,

I was unclear on how you hooked this into your system from your review info. Did you use this as a preamp or simply a source? Also wondered if you had it attached with balanced out or single ended.

PS. I have not experienced any problems with gapless on 24/96 with any of the Linn DS components. I am using Asset UPnP server software on the PC side along with Eyeconnect and Asset on the Mac side.

David

Hi Guys - Thanks to the posts from some of you about flawless gapless performance, album art, and a specific album to test I was able to play gapless up through 24/192. I've updated both the main body of the review and the conclusion.

The problem is related to large album art just as jf3011 suspected. When I stripped the album art out as a first test everything worked great. This is great to know, but also points to a weakness in many renderers. The Rendu devices handle this large album art without issue.

Hi Guys - Thanks to the posts from some of you about flawless gapless performance, album art, and a specific album to test I was able to play gapless up through 24/192. I've updated both the main body of the review and the conclusion.

The problem is related to large album art just as jf3011 suspected. When I stripped the album art out as a first test everything worked great. This is great to know, but also points to a weakness in many renderers. The Rendu devices handle this large album art without issue.

Chris; how large was the album art which caused the problem?

Eloise

---

Looking at the rear panel, there are a few worth noting you don't see on many other amps.

The roof covers the connection points, so dust falling on the connection points is minimised, and I guess some moisture to an extent, that's a good idea. Connections can be forgotten for many years on end if the equipment is not regularly pulled out from the rack and the rear connectors wiped and cleaned. The folds though are perhaps 18-20 gauge steel, and there are gaps, not quite the finish I would expect from the money wanted.

Rare to see on hi-fi gear, as opposed to AVR are outputs as well as inputs for coax and Toslink. If you do have an external DAC, the outputs are a welcome.

Why six or so HDMI inputs, I guess if you pay $30k a year to use the technology, may as well make the most of it. If you don't have an AVR, I would hope that the HDMI would pass through video from a BD player to a TV. As for serious audio use though HDMI is still to get out of the starting blocks.

No internet radio, given network capability, I guess that can come from a NAS uPNP perhaps and render through this device. Or use PC with media access which leads to the next paragraph.

The largest failing for this unit though is there's no USB input, so no chance of direct PC hook-up, then again if you're stubborn Brit, the design stays as it is, and no PC shall come near! Out with the crucifix!!

Or you have to buy a USB-SPDIF converter, which brings a discussion to find the DSD logo, sort of a where's wally competition to start. Perhaps in the next model, to compete with the Marantz NA-11s1. That's some piece of kit to contend with.

$8500, wow. There would be serious competition out there for that kind of performance, if it is in your face or not.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Looking at the rear panel, there are a few worth noting you don't see on many other amps.

The roof covers the connection points, so dust falling on the connection points is minimised, and I guess some moisture to an extent, that's a good idea. Connections can be forgotten for many years on end if the equipment is not regularly pulled out from the rack and the rear connectors wiped and cleaned. The folds though are perhaps 18-20 gauge steel, and there are gaps, not quite the finish I would expect from the money wanted.

Rare to see on hi-fi gear, as opposed to AVR are outputs as well as inputs for coax and Toslink. If you do have an external DAC, the outputs are a welcome.

Why six or so HDMI inputs, I guess if you pay $30k a year to use the technology, may as well make the most of it. If you don't have an AVR, I would hope that the HDMI would pass through video from a BD player to a TV. As for serious audio use though HDMI is still to get out of the starting blocks.

No internet radio, given network capability, I guess that can come from a NAS uPNP perhaps and render through this device. Or use PC with media access which leads to the next paragraph.

The largest failing for this unit though is there's no USB input, so no chance of direct PC hook-up, then again if you're stubborn Brit, the design stays as it is, and no PC shall come near! Out with the crucifix!!

Or you have to buy a USB-SPDIF converter, which brings a discussion to find the DSD logo, sort of a where's wally competition to start. Perhaps in the next model, to compete with the Marantz NA-11s1. That's some piece of kit to contend with.

$8500, wow. There would be serious competition out there for that kind of performance, if it is in your face or not.

The HDMI is pass through for video. There are six inputs as many folks have a number of HDMI devices such as; TV box, Blue Ray, Xbox, Mac Mini or Apple TV or ROKU, laptop, etc. you know all those things those young up and comers have. As you can see, it can be the heart of a serious A/V system into a projector or high def panel for gaming, concerts, TV, movies, etc. and as such it is a blinding success and one hell of of an all in one device for an elegant, superb sounding and stylish modern day playback system.

PS. Heard the Marantz yet? I have. Think it can compete sound wise and also be all that this is?

PPS. Linn is taking a wait and see on DSD. LOT'S of commentary on why Linn should or shouldn't jump into it. Personally I think their take on it is about right. Now on the other hand should they be tackling multi channel again? Heck yes.

David

To 1.5... (sorry for the short hand) the Linn does have Internet Radio.

The HDMI can definitely pass video and will also extract the front two channels and pass the Center and rear to a separate processor (for LPCM feeds).

To David / Real HiFi... This post Why DSD is a terrible idea in 2013 makes Linn's current thoughts on DSD quite clear.

A new multi-channel processor from Linn would be nice. But most HiFi manufacturers are shying away from the HT market place.

Eloise

Eloise

---

To 1.5... (sorry for the short hand) the Linn does have Internet Radio.

The HDMI can definitely pass video and will also extract the front two channels and pass the Center and rear to a separate processor (for LPCM feeds).

Eloise

That information makes a little more sense, thanks Eloise. I only read the review at CA missed that detail which I didn't verify at the manufacturer's site. Further details missed in the review and (among the missing) USB connector, the Analog preamp section, mentioned by others.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I've heard both the Linn Akurate and Linn Klimax several times on several different systems. The Akurate is definitely the sweet spot in the line up and it's sonic abilities as a preamp are quite good. Although Kinsky is a good app, Chorus and Songbook work a bit better IMO.....But there is a cost to both those apps.

Having said that about the terrific Linn players, my new Marantz NA11S1 sounds just as good, if not better than the Akurate, cost less than half as much and does DSD via USB natively and flawlessly New competitive players in ADS/1 and KDS/1 domain!

How good does the Marantz sound? After several weeks of comparing it to my DAC2X, I sold the DAC2X and kept the Marantz. Enough said. Oh, and the Linn iPad app works like a charm on the Marantz (but Marantz does have their own iOS app too). The Marantz is a game changer IMO.

All formats on the Marantz via Ethernet worked like a charm and sounded better than via USB (although I still need to do more A/B testing to declare a winner). It's other built in features like Spotify and Pandora and Radio and its various other inputs all work extremely well.

I gave up trying to do DSD via Ethernet using minimserver. I'm sure Chris could get it to work, but I ran out of patience. Chris' opening paragraph was spot on for me. I personally believe streaming DSD via Ethernet and the complications around it could be one of the reasons why we aren't seeing Linn support DSD via their DS line of players. The other reason is that they could be right. There is no need for DSD in 2013 as Eloise pointed out above with the link to the Linn forum: Why DSD is a terrible idea in 2013

Mike

To David / Real HiFi... This post Why DSD is a terrible idea in 2013 makes Linn's current thoughts on DSD quite clear.

A new multi-channel processor from Linn would be nice. But most HiFi manufacturers are shying away from the HT market place.

Eloise

Yep. Am aware of that thread.

Multi channel done well is superb in both film and music and it would not surprise me to see Linn get back into the game now that have the licensing for HDMI under their belt.

The Multi channel space is actually maturing and the constant upgrade cycle that was once needed has slowed considerably. If a small company like Primare can do it, Linn surely can. Their amps are so modular and are really perfect for an easy transition back into this arena.

David