IGNORED

Playing DSD with any players including Squeezebox Touch

Has information about this been posted at the Squeezebox forum? I've searched a bit (the search function over there has been poor for me) and found nothing.

Using my Touch with triode's mod would be my preferred way to proceed with DSD files. May I assume that you are doing the conversion to FLAC offline, as it were, and creating new files that you are then adding to your current LMS library?

Has information about this been posted at the Squeezebox forum? I've searched a bit (the search function over there has been poor for me) and found nothing.

Using my Touch with triode's mod would be my preferred way to proceed with DSD files. May I assume that you are doing the conversion to FLAC offline, as it were, and creating new files that you are then adding to your current LMS library?

Yes, I'm pretty sure that is the idea. But in my case I must be doing something wrong, because the converted files are seen as 176k by my DAC, and not DSD.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Ok, I've tried all I could but all I can get are flacs. Can someone explain from the top the prerequisites ie Foobar plus which plugins from Foobar's site and then the extra files needed like the dll etc and where to and them. Maybe a guide. The unsaid things I ran into are I actually had to use the zip file from the download site and go get a copy of flac executable not included in Foobar it seems. I did those steps from my reading and the errors I got. I did what I could but I can't get a "wrappered" file.

• 2 weeks later...

Any luck, firedog and obscured? I've got some DSD rips of SACDs that I own on their way to me, and my first choice for playback would still be the Touch. I did find a post about this on the Squeezebox forum, but no real firestorm of interest followed.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that is the idea. But in my case I must be doing something wrong, because the converted files are seen as 176k by my DAC, and not DSD.

Which DAC? I believe you need a DAC capable of DSD over PCM via SPDIF.

Not all DSD DACs (including your Mytek IIRC) will process DoP via SPDIF even if they will do DoP via USB.

I think there may be a "guide" on the LUMIN thread (under Network section) on the forums. The output if the Foobar plug in will appear to be a FLAC but should click your DAC into DSD mode (if supported).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Not all DSD DACs (including your Mytek IIRC) will process DoP via SPDIF even if they will do DoP via USB.

I think there may be a "guide" on the LUMIN thread (under Network section) on the forums. The output if the Foobar plug in will appear to be a FLAC but should click your DAC into DSD mode (if supported).

Eloise

As Homer Simpson would say, "D-oh!". Thanks, I totally forgot about that, as I usually only run the Mytek DAC over Firwire or USB. So I quess I'd have to setup EDO and try the SBT playing back DSD to a different DAC. Unfortunately the Mytek doesn't work with Linux, so I can't use the USB out of the SBT (via EDO) to playback DSD.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Mytek works fine with DoP over S/PDIF or AES (also over Toslink for me, although this is not officially supported). Also Mytek's Firewire input works with Linux, but the driver doesn't come as standard.

If you need to use Mytek through USB on Linux, I recommend Musical Fidelity V-Link192 and AES cable for the purpose.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Mytek works fine with DoP over S/PDIF or AES (also over Toslink for me, although this is not officially supported). Also Mytek's Firewire input works with Linux, but the driver doesn't come as standard.

You're right Miska ... I was thinking of the Meitner!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

If you need to use Mytek through USB on Linux, I recommend Musical Fidelity V-Link192 and AES cable for the purpose.

okay, so now I undertand - the Mytek supports "up to 192K" over SPDIF, but because of DoP it sees the DSD file as 176k and processes it?

But then my question remains, what did I do wrong? I ran the DSD files through the ripping process in Foobar as I undertand it, but when I play them back through the Touch, the Mytek says they are "176" and not "DSD"

Eloise

Hmm, I must have missed this info earlier in the thread, but for the life of me I see no prior reference to this requirement. Is this because of the LUMIN association of the authors of this nice little piece of code? This may leave me out of the party, based on my Amanero USB/Buffalo DAC combo.

But then my question remains, what did I do wrong? I ran the DSD files through the ripping process in Foobar as I undertand it, but when I play them back through the Touch, the Mytek says they are "176" and not "DSD"

Does the same file played from computer to the Mytek trigger DSD mode on Mytek? If yes, then something is not bit-perfect in the Touch playback chain. Volume control?

IIRC there was a bug in earlier version of the Foobar DoP file writer for Lumin that was writing non-compliant stream, but it has been fixed in later versions.

P.S. AFAIK, Benchmark DAC2 HGC and Chord QuteHD also support DoP over S/PDIF. Some dCS DACs too?

P.S. AFAIK, Benchmark DAC2 HGC and Chord QuteHD also support DoP over S/PDIF. Some dCS DACs too?

Still confused over this "over S/PDIF" issue, especially since the original poster referred to his dCS. He appears to have a Debussy, and the dCS site (as of today) shows DoP over USB, but not over S/PDIF and shows the latter limited to 96k PCM.

Why does the Touch (assuming with the EDO mod) have to output the DoP via S/PDIF? It can output, with the mod, up to 192k via that method or via USB, thus it can convey the 176k output of this process either way. What device, the Touch or the following DAC, imposes the requirement that the signal out of the Touch, using this process, be via S/PDIF?

TIA - Pat

Still confused over this "over S/PDIF" issue, especially since the original poster referred to his dCS. He appears to have a Debussy, and the dCS site (as of today) shows DoP over USB, but not over S/PDIF and shows the latter limited to 96k PCM.

Maybe Debussy doesn't (I don't know), but they list DoP over SPDIF/AES for Vivaldi and Scarlatti Upsamplers and DACs. (useful if you want to replace Vivaldi or Scarlatti upsampler with a computer and save $$$)

Why does the Touch (assuming with the EDO mod) have to output the DoP via S/PDIF? It can output, with the mod, up to 192k via that method or via USB, thus it can convey the 176k output of this process either way. What device, the Touch or the following DAC, imposes the requirement that the signal out of the Touch, using this process, be via S/PDIF?

It is useful for devices like Mytek which use proprietary USB protocol, or don't have USB at all.

I've been using Mytek quite a lot with S/PDIF and AES inputs for playing DSD.

Hi tubesguy. Sorry to reply so tardy. I haven't had any luck. All I get, seems to be flac files. Are you getting what you need now? I don't have a DAC that does DoP or anything like that. I have been checking my output using Foobar or VLC or even MediaInfo and the all say flac. I don't know if the only way to check proper output is using a DAC. There must be another way to check the file for proper output.

As Homer Simpson would say, "D-oh!". Thanks, I totally forgot about that, as I usually only run the Mytek DAC over Firwire or USB. So I quess I'd have to setup EDO and try the SBT playing back DSD to a different DAC. Unfortunately the Mytek doesn't work with Linux, so I can't use the USB out of the SBT (via EDO) to playback DSD.

There is a USB2 driver for the Mytek for Linux. Firmware loading is a bit problematic but it works great.

There is a USB2 driver for the Mytek for Linux. Firmware loading is a bit problematic but it works great.

It's a bit functionally lacking, so it doesn't work with all software. Because it requires complete device close before sampling rate change. Merely stopping the device is not enough...

(and unfortunately it doesn't support the recently introduced native DSD sample formats)

• 1 month later...

Eloise

Hello,

Does anyone know if the Meitner MA-1 is a DAC capable of DSD over PCM via SPDIF? I'm using the SBT touch into the MA-1. My DSF and ISO files all convert properly to the 24/176 FLAC files per Russ's description. I'm in EDO mode with the LMS/Touch volume turned all the way up. Barely any sound is audible even with system volume turned up with the converted FLAC file playing through the SBT. The MA-1 input lights only register 176 (Tedb confirms there should be two lights confirming DSD on the Meitner when DSD is being played correctly).

Is this DoP playback possible with LMS touches in EDO mode with the Meitner MA-1 DAC?

We have a few LMS products (squeezebox touch's) in the house so if I can get this working with Meitner MA-1 it would be killer to be able to play all my DSD files.

Thanks,

Greg

Hello agentsmith,

I found your and Russtafarian`s thread after I got bumped into the DSD/DoP thing via the SBT on the Slimdevices forum. You guys are kind of pioneers! :D Thank you! I have it working with a Matrix X-Sabre DAC via USB.

Best regards,

Mario

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

• 5 months later...
Pardon my ignorance, but how exactly does DoP work? Is it true DSD when it's converted from 2.8Mhz to 176.4khz?

I'm currently listening to DSD natively from Foobar2000. Do I need DoP?

It doesn't convert the DSD to 176k; it just makes the dsd file look like a 176k file to your DAC so that the DAC has protocols to read the file. See: DoP open Standard | DSD-Guide.com