hi

i'm totaly confused in what i can do to improve my music quality.

current situation: 2 b&w M1's (small) linked to marantz pm6004

my source is currently laptop (analog) and mp3(analog) , both with 3.5mm jack.

i also have a sub, denon dsw 65 with integraded amp and with a line in and out (LFE), but i can't use it currently

my main goal is to improve my source, (all my files are on laptop, external drive, mp3 player), secondly i would like to create a 2.1 setup.

the solution must be flexibel, if i want to replace my m1's with a 685 or q300 or other bookshelf speakers.

how would you handle this situation? budget is important, and i i'm not in a hurry to finish this .....situation

ps. would you recommend buying a SECONDHAND hi end dac? or cd player?

thank you ,

pls HELP

amp: Marantz pm6004

Speakers: Triangle titus ex

tv: Philips 47PFK6559

hdmi cable: audio quest pearl

DAC: chord chordette gem

usb cable: audio quest cinamon AB usb cable

storage: lacie Blade runner 4 TB

software: jriver with jremote app on ipad

Do you still have all your CDs? If so, though it might be a daunting task I would re-rip all you music to a lossless format and abandon mp3 completely for yor home system. Secondly I would buy an external DAC like the AQ Dragonfly ($249) but there are many others at a reasonable price. To me those two things would allow you to take the biggest step forward for a nominal investment.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

hi, i don't have that many cd's, some, most of them are flac from the internet, so....let's say if i get them riped from each cd, where do i store them? (somewhere that i can stream from in he future?)

what about Atoll dac100 (secondhand) or a new musicstreamerii?

amp: Marantz pm6004

Speakers: Triangle titus ex

tv: Philips 47PFK6559

hdmi cable: audio quest pearl

DAC: chord chordette gem

usb cable: audio quest cinamon AB usb cable

storage: lacie Blade runner 4 TB

software: jriver with jremote app on ipad

I would buy two external hard drives to use with your computer. One will be for you music library files and the other used to back up the files. If you are going to enter into computer audio always have a back up plan. You can rip and playback using iTunes but there are other solutions for both Windows and Mac for ripping and playback. Regarding a DAC recommendation there. Are simply too many at too mant price points to know them all so I cannot speak to the ones you mention.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

Even with MP3 you can get some improvement. I would (first off) concentrate on your speakers though - the B&W M1 while good for what they are are designed as satellites for use with a sub.

The Denon sub you have was designed as part of a home theatre in a box (HTiB) system so has limited connectivity. And your Marantz doesn't have a preamp output so you can't connect it.

You have (to my mind) 3 options...

1) buy a new subwoofer.

2) replace the M1 with speakers not requiring a sub woofer - the 685 and Q300 you mentioned would fit that criteria (IMO).

3) replace the PM6004 with something with a preamp output and preferably a crossover for the sub - something like a Marantz NR1505 while a home theatre system would do this and also includes a DAC.

With options 1 or 2 you can also add a DAc to improve SQ. With option 3 you will still be limited by the Denon sub.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

To everyone suggesting adding a DAC ... I really think the OP needs to sort out his speakers first. He's running satellite speakers without a sub; no DAC is going to compensate...

Bowers and Wilkin's ASW608 or REL T-Zero (at £300) or similar is needed.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

To everyone suggesting adding a DAC ... I really think the OP needs to sort out his speakers first. He's running satellite speakers without a sub; no DAC is going to compensate...

Eloise

What about a 500 dollar USB cable?

What about a 500 dollar USB cable?

Definitely...

Eloise

---

hi

i'm totaly confused in what i can do to improve my music quality.

current situation: 2 b&w M1's (small) linked to marantz pm6004

my source is currently laptop (analog) and mp3(analog) , both with 3.5mm jack.

i also have a sub, denon dsw 65 with integraded amp and with a line in and out (LFE), but i can't use it currently

my main goal is to improve my source, (all my files are on laptop, external drive, mp3 player), secondly i would like to create a 2.1 setup.

the solution must be flexibel, if i want to replace my m1's with a 685 or q300 or other bookshelf speakers.

how would you handle this situation? budget is important, and i i'm not in a hurry to finish this .....situation

ps. would you recommend buying a SECONDHAND hi end dac? or cd player?

thank you ,

pls HELP

The Marantz is a good little amp and if you add a decent pair of speakers to it you will be surprised at how it sounds. The recommendations so far are solid and you could also look into the Definitive Technology SM55's at $600 a pair as they are superb with the type of amp you have.

Second thing is tackling your MP3 issue. Re-ripping to AIFF or FLAC at full resolution with be the first step, then get those files to your Marantz with a simple USB out of your laptop to a USB dac such as the Audioquest Dragonfly or the Meridian Explorer and you will be in pig heaven.

Those two things will take your system to a whole different level and your enjoyment of whatever you are playing will be far greater.

If you really feel the need for a sub after those two things then you can simply get a REL or Definitive Technology that takes speaker

level in and just tune it to your system by their controls on the sub.

David