IGNORED

Audirvana and Room EQ Wizard

Greetings!

I've been reading alot about integer mode on the Mac lately. I tried bitperfect, but it couldn't enable integer mode on a Mountain Lion laptop, but Audirvana did.

When I finally got integer mode activated, I noticed an increased bass response almost immediately. I remember turning up the gain on my subwoofer last night, and I was definitely turning it down on the same songs after I got this working. I subsequently read somewhere (i can't remember where) that increased bass response is typical when activating integer mode.

I have a umik on the way and my master plan is to run RoomEQ wizard to get some recommended parametric EQ settings, then use the AU ParametricEQ in Audirvana to implement it. I'm trying to find the holes in this plan before I start buying stuff so now I have a couple of questions. I purchased AudioHijack and Bitperfect before I had this all figured out and now it looks like Audirvana will do what I want, but want to be sure before the trial finishes.

- Room EQ Wizard doesn't look like it will work in integer mode and I don't think I can use pre-recorded test tones with it. Since its recommended EQ settings will be based on a non-integer-mode measurement, will that incorrectly EQ Audirvana if I use the Audio Unit eq plugin?

- I believe AudioUnits is a Core Audio function. If I activate an eq plugin, will that pull Audirvana out of integer mode or out of the iZotope thing?

I'm basically trying to decide if I can do this all with software or if I need to get an external EQ.

Have you made measurements of your room using REW? Equalization will only correct problems in the frequency domain. How does the room look in the time domain? Even if you correct peaks in the response, the room will still ring at these frequencies if you have resonance problems. Also, have you confirmed that any peaks that you have actually correspond to musical notes? Many times peaks and dips are not that noticable because they fall between the notes.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Have you made measurements of your room using REW? Equalization will only correct problems in the frequency domain. How does the room look in the time domain? Even if you correct peaks in the response, the room will still ring at these frequencies if you have resonance problems. Also, have you confirmed that any peaks that you have actually correspond to musical notes? Many times peaks and dips are not that noticable because they fall between the notes.

I'm still waiting on the microphone, but I'm only looking at the frequency stuff now, since that is adjustable with software. Room treatments are a whole 'nother area of research. I'm still really new at all this and am taking it one topic at a time for now.

I reread my post and I guess these are Audirvana specific questions. It might be more appropriate to post on their forum.

There is a lot of useful information here on room treatment:

RealTraps - Home

Good luck.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond