IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound Dac2SE Upgrade Revisited & Findings -- The Best Decision Unequivocally!

Dear Members:

I started this thread about my newly upgraded Wyred 4 Sound Dac2SE to publish my findings which include my impressions fresh out of the box and after nearly thirty (30) hours of play time. I tend to read reviews by first going to the conclusion and then reading the review from the beginning, hence my conclusion appears first so as to relieve those inclined to stop after or skip to the conclusion.

Conclusion: E.J. Sarmento of Wyred 4 Sound produced the Wyred 4 Sound Dac2. It delivered and satisfied my listening preferences for what computer audio music could sound like that satisfied my criteria for enjoying music. With the upgrade to the W4S Dac2SE edition, E.J. sent me back another Dac. Not the Dac2 I previously bought. How different? Totally! The result: It is unequivocally the best decision I could make. For those of you considering the upgrade, I highly recommend it without reservation. Music is essential in my life. It is my medicine. Fresh out of the box, I heard and felt a "wow!" experience. Different can be different good or different bad. Different takes time getting used to. This kind of different is superlative; and I am having the best time since I started with computer audio music getting used to the "new" different and highly pleasurable listening Wyred 4 Sound Dac2 SE. I am hearing my music library a new. I own all the software players and as good as I thought they were, am hearing even better resolution through them now. The SQ sonics are 3D and as never before. That's the Emmis!

The Dac2SE Upgrade: It is a big world out there crowded with grand audio equipment for the buying. Listening pleasure can cost whatever you choose to spend. And the grass is always greener with the latest and greatest. I live reasonably well and tend to want to buy the best I can afford. I started my commitment to computer audio music in early 2011. I waded through the reviews, read a lot about how to create a computer audio system. Discovered CA which helped greatly. Visited websites of software players which also helped. Bought all the software players. Visited some dealers and had a lousy time doing it. In some cases I was able to audition cabling. Designed a synergy for a system I could afford, made my choices, then spent more than 10 times what I budgeted for. And prayed.

After two (2) years of music listening primarily through the USB output (perhaps 15% of the time through the coax) of my Wyred 4 Sound Dac2 purchased in 2011 (see my signature for the most of the rest), I leaped at the opportunity to upgrade to the SE upgrade. I may have been one of the first to rush my W4S Dac2 (hereafter Dac2) overnight to E.J. Previously, I was researching S/PDIF converters so I could finally hear what the articulated throes of ecstasy about Integer mode was all about. I even considered a DSD enabled Dac as a second Dac. I wanted more! My timing in this case was perfect. E.J. spared me from pursuing those enhancements by producing the Dac2SE upgrade. It cost me $1250. plus shipping to and back, but saved me probably five (5) times that amount if I had taken a different tack. Was it worth it? Yes. Did I know in advance what the results would deliver for what I was paying for in actual performance? No. What would persuade me to pursue the upgrade? If you read the first sentence of this paragraph, you will find the answer. I wanted more but I was happy with the performance of my system in quality of build, trouble free operation, sonic output, relations with Wyred 4 Sound, support. The list of enhancements to my Dac2 matched as closely as I would want to what I wanted. For me, it was easy.

Being somewhere at the top of the list, sending it overnight, the upgrade was performed in several days considering I sent it just before the weekend. W4S burned in the Dac2SE before returning it to me overnight as I had prepaid not wanting my carrier of choice to play pac-man with my shipment. My Dac2 came back a Dac2SE but no different cosmetically. Where was the specially designed decal or glowing new logo to identify the upgrade? The back of the Dac2SE had a different label identifying it as a Dac2SE. Gone was the VFD blue letters and replaced with the new green OLED display for input, sample rate, volume control, and configuration viewing. I like green too. Looks radioactive. And yes easier to read from a distance. For the record, I enjoy looking at the lights on equipment as they add something to ambiance in the room with the lights out but that's as far as it goes.

Setup was easy for me. There was virtually nothing for me to do but restore the settings which are easy to do. No drivers are required for Mac/Linux. Drivers for those other operating systems are easily downloaded if required and only for Windows etc. machines. I had already deleted the updated drivers for my previous Dac2 from Mountain Lion 10.8.3 which is also easy to accomplish in about three short steps. I looked at the manual included with the upgrade just in case there might be something new to do before firing up the Dac2SE. There wasn't. However, I did restore volume to Fixed from Variable as I use my preamp to control volume manually or with the W4S remote(s). I chose to leave the Maximum levels at the factory setting of 70 and the Minimum levels at 0 on advice from staff at W4S. There are some other adjustments which I have been told need not be changed from factory settings. Forgive me for being vague but absent a need to change or a need to inform about a change that is not needed justifies my being vague, at least in my view. Nothing really to do other than reconnect the proper cables back in the correct outputs, plug the Dac2SE in and switch the power on. I leave my Dac2SE, STP-SE preamp, SX-1000 mono bloc amps, Bryston electronic crossover and JL Audio F112s on all the time. Other than the green OLED one would not know the difference between the original Dac2 and the Dac2SE upgrade. Until one turns on the system and sends a signal through the system. "Toto, we're not in Kansas..."

Having dealt with the fallout from the iTunes 11.03 update beforehand, I did enter AMS (Audio Midi Setup) to insure the 32 384 device as my upgrade Dac is now recognized as was re-selected in the preferences of my assorted players. I decided to launch Audirvana Plus in playlist mode, mode 1, build 1.4.9.10 and discover if Integer mode worked and how it sounded. The Dac2SE obliged and played through gloriously. Ah, so that's what Integer mode sounds like. I have no DSD files (sorry) so I can not comment on the DSD performance, yet. But, frankly, I do not expect anything to go awry. Still pardon me for my premature findings that do not include DSD 64/128 processing/play which the Dac2SE is enabled to perform. And I have not used the I2S output which I am eager to do.

The coax output which my Oppo BDP95 is connected to by way of Atlona AT-HD577 through HDMI and out by BNC coax to the Dac2SE with an SHM-SACD sounded glorious. Like I have never heard it before. And noticeably where with the Dac2 I would set the volume to 35 to 50 on the W4S STP-SE preamp, with the upgrade I had to lower to 15 to 25.

The USB output is where I park my listening experience in a reserved spot and unless required tow-away anything else. The output sent me back in my Stress-less chair, aptly named, Jazz (the model name given by Ekornes not me) positioned near field from my beloved KEF 107s (circa 1986). Holy Shitake mushrooms. I know I started about Audirvana Plus in Integer mode. I then moved on to Amarra Symphony in Preload/album/24Bit/4GB cache/Full EQ/Follow Core audio unchecked. I am a volunteer beta tester for Amarra since 2011. I have listened to all the beta builds and assessed them. Presently 2.5 (build 4460) is the latest published build which suffered along with the other players from the iTunes 11.03 fallout. Amarra Support's steps to take to render Caesar back to compliance worked so that was not an issue for me. Amarra through the upgraded Dac2SE sonics was like nothing I had heard before. I am trying to avoid the audio parlance, jargon etc. I am not a professional reviewer. So I'll take the easy way out and speak in metaphors. All my players, whatever mode, my music library of 4000+ with over half already ripped to AIFF files sounded completely different to me. I would liken it to watching VHS to BetaMax to DVD 720p to HD 1080p in Blu-ray from 225 lines of resolution to 480 to 1080/1920. Is it 4K? I don't know. I have never seen 4K. I have never seen 3D on HDTV but I have seen 3D when sitting at the Village Vanguard in NYC since I was too young to be legally admitted. I am there in full color, sound and ambiance. This is not hyperbole. The upgrade is that resolving. Whatever E.J. has in his little black bag, this wizard who makes equipment at a price point that is relatively so affordable delivers extraordinary results. Forget about whether or not you care for the aesthetics of the components, which I have come to like, especially my SX-1000 amps which remind me of Gort, the robot, in The Day the Earth Stood Still with those horizontal blue slits of light. "Gort, Klatu Barrata Nicto(e)". When I am sitting opposite them it avoids being melted down into ashes and scattered by the winds.

Some side notes and they may only apply to my circumstance concerning the USB cable I used previously with the Dac2 before it was upgraded. I want to be fair here. I had to change a very expensive (for me) USB cable which is not compatible with the Dac2SE upgrade. I found out the hard way and to my startling surprise. I am going to take the high road though I am extraordinarily upset about this result. Nothing to do at all with E.J.'s upgrade. Rather with narrow design specifications of a cable that cost $600. but does not work with the upgrade because it was specifically designed as the designer informed me for digital 44k transfer. I purchased a Wyred 4 Sound PCOCC USB cable instead to recover from the other manufacturer's cable failure. Ironically it is the same cable I originally purchased from W4S but was permitted to return (unopened) in favor of the cable I replaced it with. To add to the irony, a $2 USB cable of the type included with the purchase of any USB device eliminated the incompatibility. If anyone is concerned about cables and the upgrade, please don't be, if I may recommend, as my circumstance was easily resolved. And whatever flavor of USB cable you choose that is compatible, and I imagine the world of cabling is vast and compatible, the output from the Wyred 4 Sound Dac2 SE will anoint one in glorious, 3D, just-the-right bloom, imaging, soundstage, coherence, resolution, render bass, midrange, treble, cure psoriasis and improve vision.

Before I conclude, having experienced changes in sonic output which I heard and felt with my original Dac2 and over, perhaps, four (4) hundred hours, the output from the Dac2SE is "good-out-of-box" meaning it is grand, and in my experience, unless it starts off splendid, it is more likely to more more splendid than not but after so many more hours of play with the emphasis on lucky me in following my intuition. If you're a mind to follow your intutition, I highly recommend the medicine, magic and miracles E.J. Sarmento and his merry band have created.

Thank you for your attention. I offer these findings in support of the membership who can decide for themselves on the value of my comments. And in appreciation to E.J. Sarmento and the pleasure he provides through his products. Feel free to post here or PM me if I missed something or you have findings of your own.

Enjoying the music,

Richard

After acknowledging that I had no DSD 64 or 128 files in my collection so that I might also comment on the Dac2SE's operation concerning that format, I went to 2L's website where a generous supply of free downloads are available in a variety of formats including stereo and multiple channels and obviously in DSD 64/128. I, thereafter downloaded 17 free DSD files, 8/DSD 64 and 9/DSD 128.

I have never heard the DSD formatted files before outside of my SACD/SHM SACD discs which of necessity I must play through my Oppo BDP 95. How delightful to have an upgraded Dac2SE that not only is enabled for Integer mode but is also enabled for DSD 64/128. I am not gloating here. Just appreciative of the extensive upgrade and the benefits therefrom that E.J.'s decisions to implement provide his existing user's and awaits his new customers.

To be clear, I am neither advocating/extolling one format over another. I am merely reporting back to the CA membership who are interested that the upgrade truly delivers, Oh! The nest track: I am hearing a voice that sounds exquisite. Sorry for the interruption, where was I? And plays without incident those DSD formats. Obviously without Damien's Audirvana Plus which delivers the DSD files in 64/128 and in living color regardless of the comparisons between PCM and DSD, I would not be able to provide this experience. I am ignorant of whether Amarra also plays these formats, though I think only in native DSD, though I prefer not to misled.

Please add this addendum to my earlier findings. If this is just the icing on the cake, taken together with all the rest that the upgrade provides, be prepared for a banquet of tastes cooked by the Chef's recipe which I give 4 stars to and is the real deal. Not bad for what an investment in the enhancements provided that is so exceptional and is easily verifiable by you. I know there is so much out there that is so good. Go for it.

Best,

Richard

And now back to what I do best, after I settle accounts, appropriately, I go back to the serious business of enjoying music. Put the past behind me, unless there are remnants that require further attention.

Seque, a word that does not look the way it sounds, but my spell checker has not underlined it in red, so... Ahem, back to the music. Sitting near field, I have the Hybrid SACD of Ray Brown's Trio, the album, Live At The LOA Summer Wind. Do you have this in your collection? Marvellous recording. Li'l Darlin' is sending me into Nirvana. Do you happen to have the Wyred 4 Sound Dac2SE upgrade also? I know it is easy too over do praise to the point of revulsion, but resist the impulse, cause the SQ I am presently hearing has finally arrived, and I had no idea what was available that I was missing that might cost tens of thousands that I am now hearing for not only less but that I am hearing it. So help me Fort Knox.

Before someone throws a pie at me,

Richard

PS

Did I mention how exquisite the SQ is?

Really look forward to getting mine back on Wednesday.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

Marvelous review Richard. After such a rough start I'm thrilled (and relieved) for you that the upgrade ended up being all you hoped for. EJ's products remain on my list of future possibilities because of real-world experiences like yours. Thanks for sharing. Bravo.

Really look forward to getting mine back on Wednesday.

Based on my experience, your anticipation is well founded. Be prepared for a different Dac as in different better. As in exceptional.

Good fortune. Let us know what you experience when you're ready.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Marvelous review Richard. After such a rough start I'm thrilled (and relieved) for you that the upgrade ended up being all you hoped for. EJ's products remain on my list of future possibilities because of real-world experiences like yours. Thanks for sharing. Bravo.

Thank you, Melvin. I love happy endings. The upgrade takes my listening experience and player software into new territory. I haven't heard music sound this good except from mega systems. Perhaps, what EJ created delivers similar results that are affordable. I am not exaggerating. I would love it for you to hear the output and make your assessment so we can compare our discernment.

EJ is very talented and has produced the best component I have ever experienced for my system. He is also a person of excellent character and temperament; and I do not believe in coincidences. He provided me with the best support and is gracious and thoughtful. Makes for an ideal relationship when creating a synergy for rendering your music at a higher level of sonics.

Thank you for your always positive and non-critical support.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Richard,

I thought I remember that previously you had auditioned your Wyred Dac2 with a Off Ramp with I2s interface?

If so, just curious how you would compare this upgrade to that combo?

Regards,

Dan

Dan,

Good memory. Excellent question? If you recall, I remarked that the combination was different with the OffRamp 5. And then asked myself different good or different bad. And decided that it was different good and took some getting used to what Nugent described as what I was hearing in response was low jitter. I chose not to purchase the OffRamp5 for several reasons. Nugent was more interested in the compatibility of the OR5 (for convenience) with the W4S Dac2 and so hastened me to return it before I had a real opportunity to spend time listening. That was fine. I completely understood his agenda. I did not miss the OR5 after I returned it. Admittedly, I wavered and reconsidered it at a later time. The proof would have been had I committed and actually purchased it.

The upgrade is very, very different from the combination of the OffRamp5/I2S/Wyred 4 Dac2. Of course what I offer is purely subjective which I am sure you would take that into consideration and are merely asking me for my impressions. Specifically what I enjoy about the upgrade requires me to speak in metaphors so if you will allow me to mix them, here goes.

Several months ago I had cataract surgery. I had astigmatism in both of my eyes and required glasses to correct the flattening of the lenses. So both sharpness and the amount of light were compromised. After the surgery, the replacement lenses had the correction dialed in to those lenses and the removal of the cataracts allowed in more light. What was remarkable was that I had become used to my acuity as it was limited by my physical limitations. Suddenly, I was seeing with more clarity and the colors that were relatively subdued were vibrant. A further laser process (details omitted) allowed for even more light. The vibrancy and acuity improved even further.

The OR5 apparently turns the W4S Dac2 into a lower jitter Dac (according to Nugent). But for me the vibrancy was not there to my satisfaction. It was cooler. Clearer yes. But, I do not know about you, I feel music and also hear it. The OR5 left me feeling cold, clearer, but not to my satisfaction.

The upgrade was very impactful on my senses both auditory and kinesthetic. There was an immediate presence as one would see, hear feel walking into a live performance at a small venue like the Village Vanguard. There was a richness in the vibrancy of the music that was not there with OR5. This is difficult to communicate in language. Watch an old VHS 225 lines of resolution at 4:3. Then the same film at 1080p/1920 at 16:9. The OR5 was not VHS but it did not have the warmth, the amazing 3D (emphasis on 3D), vibrancy and bloom that the upgrade brought. The music is rich. I had to lower the volume by up to 20 levels down with the presence and clarity. Both bring a clarity to the music, but the upgrade provides more light and hue (not in coloring the sound). The upgrade is neutral and does not color. The soundstage fills my room, the imaging is marvelous. Perhaps I could call the OR5 in comparison sterile, clean, colder. Again in comparison. The bloom from the Dac2SE is just right (for me). Admittedly, when I first listened to it playing my go-to for assessing Amarra Symphony beta builds, Bill Evan's The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings 1961 the drums, cymbals, bass strings were just a bit out of focus. Some sibilance. But after hours of play, that changed.

I am recalling an experience that occurred last year and with limited time. But the experience I had with the OR5 and the W4S Dac2 did not have that wow, pop, did not push me back in my seat and fill me up with glorious sound. The OR5 made me listen intently. It was like being mental than feeling. The initial impact of the OR5 confused me. The upgrade put me into sonic delight. I am not exaggerating. I am struggling to articulate the two experiences as I experienced them and convey that experience using language which has its limitations.

I have attempted to address your curiosity however I may have done so. If you are asking me (which you did not) which I would choose, by now you know the answer. I am thoroughly delighted with the upgrade. Less is more. Integer mode has it own "sound". Not sure that I grave that "sound". Played some free DSD files in 128 and 64 I downloaded from 2L. Not sure what to make of DSD 64/128 vs 192/24 etc. Need to cultivate the differences.

Hope, this helped.

Best,

Richard

I'm not fully versed in the techie stuff, but I thought the i2s/integer mode would negate the need for a separate USB converter to lower jitter.

I will probably pull the trigger on a DAC2-DSD. I have their ST500 integrated and love it ( it smokes!).

I'm not fully versed in the techie stuff, but I thought the i2s/integer mode would negate the need for a separate USB converter to lower jitter.

I will probably pull the trigger on a DAC2-DSD. I have their ST500 integrated and love it ( it smokes!).

If I understand you correctly, the Dac2SE does not require a S/PDIF converter as you rightly indicate. Integer mode is enabled. I2S is a port on the Dac2SE. DSD is enabled. And all the other enhancements that have made my Dac2SE a treasure.

My response to Dan was merely a comparison between the original W4S Dac2 with the OffRamp5 and a W4S Dac2SE either as an upgrade or brand new Dac2SE.

You, of course, know best. Based on my experience have heard both, I chose the Dac2SE upgrade over the W4S Dac2 with an OffRamp 5. And have no reservations about recommending the upgrade to anyone who is interested in either upgrading or purchasing the new Dac2SE model. No need for a converter. It has it all as far as I am concerned. I love the output.

Best,

Richard

Great, thanks for clarifying. One pet peeve I have is against products that need converters and/or upgrade power supplies to achieve full potential. Though to be fair, it's the audiophile community not the manufacturer that ordains such matters

Great, thanks for clarifying. One pet peeve I have is against products that need converters and/or upgrade power supplies to achieve full potential. Though to be fair, it's the audiophile community not the manufacturer that ordains such matters��

I understand. And I am of the same mind about your preference. That is the reason after two years of enjoying my W4S Dac2 that I jumped at the upgrade. I have maintained a relationship with Clint and EJ over the years and was hoping for something like the upgrade to manifest. As you may note, I never purchased anyone of several converters and power supply devices. I am even reluctant to add something like a IFI USB Power Supply cleaner upper between my Mac Mini and Dac2SE. The output is grand. Perhaps I may be ignorant of other enhancements, but, truly the music is the best I have ever heard from a modest system like mine. Of course there are mega systems that knocked my socks off, but I am not going there this life time. I am really quite content with the modest change this upgrade has provided as the results are far beyond minimal. The Dac2SE is not the same W4S Dac2. It is up there with the more expensive Dacs in performance and the pleasure it provides is worthy far beyond the cost. It is better than good enough. It is marvelous.

Good fortune with you decisions. Less is more to my mind.

Best,

Richard

Yes, you likely do not need an external USB to I2S convertor, since the internal one in this device is apparently now built with ulta low noise regulators, etc

I purchased an external convertor last year (not Offramp, one from Sonore), and it was a clear improvement over using the internal USB to I2s convertor built into the Wyred Dac2

So for those of us who have external convertors, the question is whether the upgrade would be meaningful?

Thank you for your description Richard - it sounds like there are other benefits to the upgrade besides the convertor being improved which is what I wanted to hear as now I think I might go for the upgrade.

Yes, you likely do not need an external USB to I2S convertor, since the internal one in this device is apparently now built with ulta low noise regulators, etc

I purchased an external convertor last year (not Offramp, one from Sonore), and it was a clear improvement over using the internal USB to I2s convertor built into the Wyred Dac2

So for those of us who have external convertors, the question is whether the upgrade would be meaningful?

Thank you for your description Richard - it sounds like there are other benefits to the upgrade besides the convertor being improved which is what I wanted to hear as now I think I might go for the upgrade.

Dan,

Thank you for mentioning the ultra low noise regulators which I neglected to mention but which are referred to in the specifications for what is included with the upgrade. They make a significant difference.

And I am glad that my non-technical description of the upgrade conveyed a sense of the upgrade's performance. Perhaps when the upgraded Dac2SE is reviewed by a professional s/he will inform with more clarity about what makes the upgrade as outstanding as it is.

The OR5 is clinical compared to the analog sound of the upgrade without losing clarity and neutrality. I do not know if this translates into something meaningful for you, but that first moment when I heard the upgrade's sonics it was something like watching 2001 in cinemascope at the theatre or surround sound, i.e., 5.2 (feeling and auditory presence) but in 2channel. Like front row center. After 30 hours or so, the clarity of the bass and its extension and treble cleaned up. The midrange was always full and 3D. Such that Scott LaFaro's bass strings slapping against the fretboard, and Paul Motian's drums and cymbals came into focus, the slight sizzle and vagueness was gone, the drums were in the room, the decay was extended. Bill Evan's piano's voice had so much more resonance than before the upgrade. The piano sang now and was clearly more 3D. It was if I was hearing my library for the first time and what sounded linear and clear had much more dimension, bloom, presence. The OR5 was more analytical as compared to analog steely like as compared to...ah, like the moment in the Wizard Of Oz when the film changes from sepia to full technicolor after the tornado concludes and Dorothy arrives in Oz. if you recall that moment in the film, that is what I am struggling to describe. We're not in Kansas anymore...

Good fortune with your decisions.

Best,

Richard

Regarding using an external converter with the original DAC-2, I used a Bel Canto Reflink which was a significant improvement over the standard DAC-2 USB interface. After a 200 hours burn in on the DAC-2 DSD SE, I find myself constantly switching back and forth between the DAC-2 DSD SE's USB interface and the Reflink trying to determine which interface I like best. They are very close, the DAC-2 DSD SE a little cleaner sounding, the Reflink a little more robust sounding, no clear victor yet, both excellent. I also found that the DAC-2 DSD SE worked better with a W4S USB cable than an Audioquest Cinnamon cable which sounded a little thin, and a tad brighter than I prefer. Overall, the DAC-2 DSD DE upgrade was well worth it and it looks like it might pay for itself but letting me unload my Bel Canto Reflink USB converter. Enjoy!

Dan,

Thank you for mentioning the ultra low noise regulators which I neglected to mention but which are referred to in the specifications for what is included with the upgrade. They make a significant difference.

And I am glad that my non-technical description of the upgrade conveyed a sense of the upgrade's performance. Perhaps when the upgraded Dac2SE is reviewed by a professional s/he will inform with more clarity about what makes the upgrade as outstanding as it is.

The OR5 is clinical compared to the analog sound of the upgrade without losing clarity and neutrality. I do not know if this translates into something meaningful for you, but that first moment when I heard the upgrade's sonics it was something like watching 2001 in cinemascope at the theatre or surround sound, i.e., 5.2 (feeling and auditory presence) but in 2channel. Like front row center. After 30 hours or so, the clarity of the bass and its extension and treble cleaned up. The midrange was always full and 3D. Such that Scott LaFaro's bass strings slapping against the fretboard, and Paul Motian's drums and cymbals came into focus, the slight sizzle and vagueness was gone, the drums were in the room, the decay was extended. Bill Evan's piano's voice had so much more resonance than before the upgrade. The piano sang now and was clearly more 3D. It was if I was hearing my library for the first time and what sounded linear and clear had much more dimension, bloom, presence. The OR5 was more analytical as compared to analog steely like as compared to...ah, like the moment in the Wizard Of Oz when the film changes from sepia to full technicolor after the tornado concludes and Dorothy arrives in Oz. if you recall that moment in the film, that is what I am struggling to describe. We're not in Kansas anymore...

Good fortune with your decisions.

Best,

Richard

Richard, OR5's i2s output via the RJ45 connector is based on 49.152MHz, 45.1584MHz oscillators. OR5's LVDS i2s output via the HDMI connector is based on a 22.5792MHz, 24.576MHz rate that is derived from the 49.152MHz, 45.1584MHz oscillators via a clock divider. Steve is using the i2s output via the RJ45 connector into his DAC because that is what it's designed to accept. What you may have heard is the results of the conversion via the clock divider as needed by your DAC.

BTW I just read your PM...

Jesus R

Regarding using an external converter with the original DAC-2, I used a Bel Canto Reflink which was a significant improvement over the standard DAC-2 USB interface. After a 200 hours burn in on the DAC-2 DSD SE, I find myself constantly switching back and forth between the DAC-2 DSD SE's USB interface and the Reflink trying to determine which interface I like best. They are very close, the DAC-2 DSD SE a little cleaner sounding, the Reflink a little more robust sounding, no clear victor yet, both excellent. I also found that the DAC-2 DSD SE worked better with a W4S USB cable than an Audioquest Cinnamon cable which sounded a little thin, and a tad brighter than I prefer. Overall, the DAC-2 DSD DE upgrade was well worth it and it looks like it might pay for itself but letting me unload my Bel Canto Reflink USB converter. Enjoy!

jrsub,

Thank you for your feedback. It is appreciated and very helpful to the rest of us to learn of your experience of the Dac2SE. I, too, am employing the W4S USB cable which I purchased at the same time as the upgrade. As you may know, it replaced a very expensive cable that was not compatible with the Dac2SE much (MUCH) to my surprise. The second surprise was that the cable performs admirably.

In my experience, you touched on two excellent qualities, i.e., clean sounding and robust sound which was startling first time listening and satisfying during each listening session. Add to that, for me, a bloom and richness of sonics that is neither too bright or fatiguing. Robust is a good word for it. I am nit tempted to tweak what is already changing on the getting-better side with more hours of play time. 200 hundred hours already? You are way ahead of me in hours of play. I am not even close to 100 hours, but already I hear and I can feel changes which I regard as an improvement in clarity. It is not subtle.

I am also happy to learn that you are leaning toward the decision that an external S/PDIF converter may not be the better configuration. Your converter is well regarded. This information while pertinent to your preferences, I am sure, will interesting for others who are curious about the upgrade and what, if any, an external converter might add to the sonics.

I personally do not feel the need for that addition, but unlike your advantage of having one on hand for comparison, I must rely on my memory of the OffRamp5 I beta tested for Steve Nugent for compatibility with a W4S Dac2. Though the components are very different, the output is very different and not even close. Your situation has more relevancy as you are comparing the Dac2SE with and without a very good converter. And with two different USB cables one of which might be more widely used than the W4S USB cable which I can confirm sounds excellent.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Richard, OR5's i2s output via the RJ45 connector is based on 49.152MHz, 45.1584MHz oscillators. OR5's LVDS i2s output via the HDMI connector is based on a 22.5792MHz, 24.576MHz rate that is derived from the 49.152MHz, 45.1584MHz oscillators via a clock divider. Steve is using the i2s output via the RJ45 connector into his DAC because that is what it's designed to accept. What you may have heard is the results of the conversion via the clock divider as needed by your DAC.

BTW I just read your PM...

Jesus R

Jesus,

I appreciate this information merely as pertinent information but which for me and my background is highly technical such that the meaning or significance is outside my understanding. My opinion of Nugent's OR5 is merely based on a subjective experience when I employed it with my original W4S Dac2 when it was lent to me by Nugent to test compatibility with my Dac2. When asked by another poster for a comparison, I offered one based on memory and feeling. I know the OR5 is very well received. My remarks were meant to be very narrow in scope as my experience with my system at the time I employed the OR5 and for a very limited time. But enough time for me to feel ambivalent about following through with a purchase. In the end, as it turns out, I am glad I did not commit funds for the external converter. And I am very glad that I did purchase the upgrade and feel no itch to tweak the upgrade by adding such a device in addition to. Perhaps this decision would have more weight if I was in jrsub's situation and already had an external converter to compare with and without.

Very happy with the upgrade which gets better over play time.

Thank you for the information, nevertheless,

Richard

I looked up the Bel Canto Reflink and was a bit suprised that it uses the spdif interface, not I2S. Its my understanding that only I2S goes right into the DAC, while the spdif still goes through the resampling/dejittering process, which with the original DAC2 is not necessarily that clean. So I am a bit suprised you find them so comparable!

On another note, there are other improvements such as the Analog output stage - so if you compare the regular Dac2 to the Dac2 SE with the same interface, do you concur with Richard that the SE is noticably improved?

I purchased the DSD mod, only. My system is high resolution, and...with the mod I sat listening to a file I'd heard hundreds of times and wondering to myself, 'did I somehow choose the wrong version of the file?' I was hearing so much that I don't remember hearing before.

I's still breaking in. I will report again if I think I can add something.

I will say the DSD mod is well worth it.

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

I looked up the Bel Canto Reflink and was a bit suprised that it uses the spdif interface, not I2S. Its my understanding that only I2S goes right into the DAC, while the spdif still goes through the resampling/dejittering process, which with the original DAC2 is not necessarily that clean. So I am a bit suprised you find them so comparable!

On another note, there are other improvements such as the Analog output stage - so if you compare the regular Dac2 to the Dac2 SE with the same interface, do you concur with Richard that the SE is noticably improved?

Yes, compared to the original DAC-2 USB I feel the DAC-2 DSD SE USB implementation is better, and different. Greater resolution and cleaner sound - bye bye DAC-2 warmth, the DAC-2 DSD SE I would classify as clean and neutral sounding. Regarding the DAC-2 DSD SE using IS2 vs Bel Canto SPDIF, that may be why I notice a cleaner sound with the DAC-2 DSD SE vs Reflink, but that doesn't mean I prefer the cleaner sound - still on the fence. Many other variables in addition to DAC-2 IS2 USB interface that determine which sounds better, clocks, power, personal preference etc.

I purchased the DSD mod, only. My system is high resolution, and...with the mod I sat listening to a file I'd heard hundreds of times and wondering to myself, 'did I somehow choose the wrong version of the file?' I was hearing so much that I don't remember hearing before.

I's still breaking in. I will report again if I think I can add something.

I will say the DSD mod is well worth it.

Happy to hear how satisfied your are with the DSD upgrade. Are there any specifics about the DSD mod you would like to share with us. Your system on paper looks great. Please feel free to provide us with even more feedback if you care to.

Enjoy the music,

Richard