IGNORED

Which USB DAC for $100-$250? Totally confused.

Hello everyone.

I am new here so please bear with me on this.

I have a simple desktop setup PC - Creative EMU 0204 (DAC) - Aktimate Maxi (Powered Speakers).

I have been using the Creative EMU 0204 for about 2 years and now i am looking to upgrade to something better.

I know new DACs are coming out every day and i am assuming the technology is improving fast.

I have been looking at DACs in the price range of $100 - $250.

when you consider the no of options, there is a lot.

ODAC, Schiit Modi, HRT, AUNE, Hifimediy and many more. So i am totally confused as to which one i should go for.

I am not particularly biased about any brand or make and i am also open to buying used, if its a good deal.

I prefer neutral or slightly warm of neutral sound. And its a desktop setup so i dont want something big.

Lastly i only need a USB dac, i have no use for a Headphone AMP.

So please go ahead and give your suggestions about what i should buy.

Also if you would like to send me an offer for something good but used and around my price range, please do.

Thanks.

wisnon, thanks for your reply.

Are you saying these are the best options in around my price range currently?

Better than the others mentioned?

The Meridian explorer has a headphone out, what would be the ideal way to connect it to my speaker?

My speaker accepts analog inputs.

I'd also carefully compare to your Creative / EMu 0204 - you may be pleasantly surprised.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

ifi Audio iDac .

Meridian explorer.

Micromega Dac

All three ($300+) are beyond the price range stated, though highly regarded. If you're willing to go to $250 I'd definitely consider a small step up to one of these. In the $100 - $250 range, some like AQ Dragonfly (upper end) , many like Schiit Modi (lower end.)

Family Room: Panny TCP65S2, Panny BDP-55, DTV HR-24, SB Touch, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Yamaha RX-V3900, Emotiva XPA-3, Rocket NM 550's, Rocket 150's, X-CS, UFW-10, Harmony 700.

Computer Room: Dell laptop, Uptone Regen Amber, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Decware SE84C+, Zu Omen, ALO National, Mr.Speakers Mad Dog headphones

You mean to say that the 0204 might stand its ground well with these newer slightly more expensive offerings?

Yes that's what I was meaning. I know the closely related 0404 was highly rated against "audiophile" products costing significantly more.

I've not compared but just a feeling that the 0204 may be better than you expect.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

All three ($300+) are beyond the price range stated, though highly regarded. If you're willing to go to $250 I'd definitely consider a small step up to one of these. In the $100 - $250 range, some like AQ Dragonfly (upper end) , many like Schiit Modi (lower end.)

Yes thats my confusion, which one to go for within that range. i cant make a definitive choice that seems clearly better for me than the rest.

And @ Audio_ELF, You're right 0204 is pretty good SQ wise but i am looking for a slightly better Soundstaging and Detail. So hopefully there is an improvement out there in my range. But yes i will take a good look at my current dac before committing to the upgrade.

I recently bought the Meridian Explorer to use when I am travelling. It has separate headphone and line outputs. Not quite as compact as a Dragonfly, but close. A big advantage over the Emu 0404 (which it will be replacing in my London timeshare) is that it switches sampling rates automatically. I haven't done a sonic comparison. I use it with a MacAir and Audirvana +, which converts DSD files to 176/24, so I can even listen to those. On my trip next month, I will be bringing 3 portable hard drives with about 10 TB of music files, almost all either DSD rips from SACDs or 192/24 vinyl rips that I have done - enough music to last me a month. As I commented before in Chris's initial review, the Meridian is no giant killer against my Berkeley DAC2 and Berkeley USB or my Pacific Microsonics Model Two, but fits very easily with the computer and hard drives in a small carry on. BTW, my dealer told me that the current Meridian Explorer has undergone some sonic improvements since the one Chris reviewed. I heard a sample of the earlier incarnation, but haven't done a side-by-side with the newer version. Relying on my memory of the first one, I think they look identical - same or very similar packaging also.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

^ This

For the Meridian, check the review that Chris did here a few months back.

The other 2 Dacs have been reviewed by John Darko online. Google them.

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future