IGNORED

Audirvana + with AirPlay and Airfoil

Folks:

I have a specific question about Audirvana Plus and some remote play issues.

I am trying to play a 24/96 file and I want to pipe it over AirPlay to a remote system. The remote system works fine when I am playing iTunes with OR without Audirvana, so I know the basic setup is okay. When I play the files to my desktop computer (USB --> V-link 192 --> BiFrost --> etc.) everything works great. However when I try to play to a remote system via Airfoil, nothing. It could be that I just don't have Audirvana set up for that which is the likeliest; it could be that Audirvana won't play to a remote system which is possible but unlikely; it could be that Airfoil and Audirvana don't play well together which is most likely.

The only solution I can think of is that I need to keep the files I'm trying to send through Audirvana and Airfoil to 16/44.1 but I haven't tried that yet - reluctant to purchase 16/44.1 files and I don't know how to get one off of iTunes... I'm sure it is something trivial but I just can't figure out what it is.

If anyone has worked this kind of (I assume) mundane issue out, please advise.

Thanks,

Mike

Musicophile:

Yes, I understand that AirPlay is limited to 16/44.1 but if I have 24/96 (or higher) digital files, how do I play them over an AirPlay link? Can the player (in this case Audirvana +) convert 24/96 to 16/44.1 on the fly? Or do I have to do something to the files themselves? I am trying to reduce storage overhead and work...

Thanks,

Mike

Musicophile:

Yes, I understand that AirPlay is limited to 16/44.1 but if I have 24/96 (or higher) digital files, how do I play them over an AirPlay link? Can the player (in this case Audirvana +) convert 24/96 to 16/44.1 on the fly? Or do I have to do something to the files themselves? I am trying to reduce storage overhead and work...

Thanks,

Mike

If I play any files (up to 24 / 192kHz) via Audirvana Plus with Airplay (mostly ATV2 / Nurforce DDA-100), yes it will "down sampling", but there is no issues, either in "playlist" or "iTunes Integrated mode".

Source: 1.0TB OWC Mercury Elite Pro < FW800> Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

1.0TB WD MY PASSPORT Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

Players (Hardware): MacBook Pro 13 (2011, 10.8.3 8 gig), ATV2

Amp / DAC: Nuforce DDA-100

Speakers: ELAC 201

Software: iTunes & BitPerfect / Audirvana Free / Audirvana Plus / MPD 0.16.6

Connectivity: subject to random changes

Dave:

Hmmm... I must be doing something else which is keeping this from working... Is there a setting that I have to make to change from 24/96 to 16/44.1?

Thanks,

Mike

When you select "Airplay" in Audirvana Plus, there is only one rate: 44.1 kHz. It will say 24 / 44.1 kHz on Audirvana Plus, but it's really 16 / 44.1 kHz.

You don't need to do anything bar selecting "Airplay" - downsampling is automatic.

Also, as far as I know, only Airplay / Audirvana Plus works with ATV2 / 3. Having said that though .....

Source: 1.0TB OWC Mercury Elite Pro < FW800> Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

1.0TB WD MY PASSPORT Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

Players (Hardware): MacBook Pro 13 (2011, 10.8.3 8 gig), ATV2

Amp / DAC: Nuforce DDA-100

Speakers: ELAC 201

Software: iTunes & BitPerfect / Audirvana Free / Audirvana Plus / MPD 0.16.6

Connectivity: subject to random changes

When you select "Airplay" in Audirvana Plus, there is only one rate: 44.1 kHz. It will say 24 / 44.1 kHz on Audirvana Plus, but it's really 16 / 44.1 kHz.

You don't need to do anything bar selecting "Airplay" - downsampling is automatic.

Also, as far as I know, only Airplay / Audirvana Plus works with ATV2 / 3. Having said that though .....

It doesn't work for me either. I just downloaded Audirvana to try yesterday and it will not let me stream to any of my other systems while it is open. I hope this is something that can be remedied because I am shocked at how good this sounds and it seems like a no brainer upgrade for the price. I do use 3 other remote systems where I have an Apple TV setup and frequently have 2 or more going at the same time. I tried to connect via the regular drop down menu in iTunes and also via Airfoil and neither worked for me

OK I see how to make it work but now the bummer is you have to go into the settings and select an airplay output which disables the output to my DAC that sounds best. I was hoping for the convenience of airplay and also the ability to playback via high quality with the USB input to my DAC in my main system

You don't need to do anything bar selecting "Airplay" - downsampling is automatic......

Dave:

Well, there's one thing I need to do... I can't find anywhere (in Preferences or any other Audirvana menu) to select AirPlay... Where is this setting?

Thanks,

Mike

OK I see how to make it work but now the bummer is you have to go into the settings and select an airplay output which disables the output to my DAC that sounds best. I was hoping for the convenience of airplay and also the ability to playback via high quality with the USB input to my DAC in my main system

ejlif:

Where in "the settings" are you selecting "an airplay output?" I can understand that Audirvana can't play hi-res AND 16/44.1 at the same time 8^) but I can't find any reference in either the Audirvana settings or in the OS settings... What else is there? Please advise.

Thanks,

Mike

ejlif:

Where in "the settings" are you selecting "an airplay output?" I can understand that Audirvana can't play hi-res AND 16/44.1 at the same time 8^) but I can't find any reference in either the Audirvana settings or in the OS settings... What else is there? Please advise.

Thanks,

Mike

Go to preferences/Audio System/preferred audio device and select airplay from the pulldown menu

Go to preferences/Audio System/preferred audio device and select airplay from the pulldown menu

I have not tried it myself yet but my buddy downloaded the trial program of A+ and he only uses apple tv, he reported a significant improvement to his sound via A+ through apple tv

To have both high-quality sound via USB and Airplay simultaneously you can use the Apple TV to 'pull' the music from your library (rather than attempting to 'push' it from your computer). Using the Remote App on your iDevice (or the Apple remote for TV screen control) select ATV, then select your library from the drop-down list. This will show details of your library so you can select album, track etc.

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

ejlif:

Well, there is no "Airplay" anywhere in the Audirvana preferences under the Audio System tab. It would appear that your buddy, like DavidL (see below) are getting some results with an Apple TV which is not in my system.

DavidL:

I do not have an ATV here. I do have an Apple Express however. I am having trouble "translating" your advice into my situation...

Thanks for the effort. Seems that I should have specified Apple Express in my original question...

Folks:

Is there anyone who is running an Apple Express that has been able to send an audio signal over AirPlay with Audirvana?

Thanks,

MIke

Mike,

I checked on my system. I have 3 Apple TVs an old one and 2 new ones. In my kitchen I have an Airport express. When I select the output on A+ to airplay and then select kitchen it's starts playing on bedroom Apple TV which may mean that it doesn't work with Airport Express. I can't get it to play on my Airport Express. I am wondering though why don't find airplay as an option in the plulldown menu. It's where you would see the output to your DAC, click on that and it should be a menu with your DAC output, airplay and built in output that is what mine says at least

ejilif:

The options I have under the Audirvana Preferences "Audio System" drop-down menu are:

Built-in Output

V-Link USB output

Soundflower (2ch)

SoundFlower (16ch)

I believe that the soundflower options are for my electric piano (which isn't hooked up at all).

Mike

Boy Howdy

An Airport Express cannot 'pull' music from your music library so my suggestion won't work for you.

David

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

David:

Yes, I understand. However, I'm trying to 'push' music through Audirvana + ...

Folks:

Any ideas or should I just give up and only listen to my Hi-Res music at my desktop? Or, do I have to convert all my 24/96 files to 16/44.1 and stick to iTunes?

Thanks,

Mike

I think have soundflower as an option as well it came with airfoil I believe. What version of airfoil are you running? Maybe try out the newest beta version. 1.4.9.9 see if that helps. I have in my system a few different options. I am by far getting the best sound by running A+ on it's own not in iTunes integrated mode and leave my airplay devices out of the party. I can still have iTunes up and right there ready to play to my airplay devices I'm just not getting the benefit of A+ when using them. I have one main rig and 3 other rigs in various parts of my home. The main rig is connected to my DAC via USB. I have only had A+ for a few days but I am really blown away by how good it sounds I've not been glued to my stereo like this in a long time.

ejlif:

I am running version 4.7.5. I don't really want to get involved in running beta versions of software - had a negative experience a while back and now leave the beta versions to folks with more time to manage fires. 8^) I like Audirvana a lot and use it when I am at my desk at home. I am working on a way to listen to my hi-res music in places other than my office however. I am trying to do this without having copies of the same music on my hard disk at different resolutions. So that is why I am trying to figure out how to get Audirvana or BitPerfect or something else to play over AirPlay.

Glad you are enjoying Audirvana+

Mike

• 3 months later...

I have an ATV and an Airport Express. At the beginning I had the same problem. I couldn't get it to play via Airport Express from Audirvana. You need to go to MIDI setup and in Airplay, make sure your Airport Express is selected as default. The original default is ATV. Hope that helps.

ejlif:

Well, there is no "Airplay" anywhere in the Audirvana preferences under the Audio System tab. It would appear that your buddy, like DavidL (see below) are getting some results with an Apple TV which is not in my system.

DavidL:

I do not have an ATV here. I do have an Apple Express however. I am having trouble "translating" your advice into my situation...

Thanks for the effort. Seems that I should have specified Apple Express in my original question...

Folks:

Is there anyone who is running an Apple Express that has been able to send an audio signal over AirPlay with Audirvana?

Thanks,

MIke