IGNORED

HDTracks John Denver - feedback?

I purchased "Take Me To Tomorrow", which I thought was a very odd choice of first John Denver offering on HDTracks. Not a good track listing, not a good-sounding recording, but since none of Denver's RCA stuff has ever been available in hi-def I thought I'd give it a spin.

Generally unimpressed, unfortunately. This is perhaps the first HDTracks title I've not been able to notice a night-and-day difference with (compared to the cd). Granted, the cd I'm comparing it to is a Japanese remaster done pretty well, but still I thought I'd hear a good difference. Perhaps the soundstage is a bit more detailed, reverb is more defined, and the sound is overall a bit more 'present' than on the cd, but I thought this would be better.

I also listened to another JD cd I have, where everything's been remixed from the original masters. Even on this cd the vocals don't sound too great, a bit distorted and not full-bodied (although the instruments definitely sound better, including ones that were never heard in the original mixes). So I guess a remastering of any/most of his RCA-period material won't likely yield great results, despite the improved sample rate or remastering engineer. Oh well.

I've always liked John Denver. In fact, the very first record I ever purchased was his Greatest Hits. I was 13 years old at the time and felt really guilty about spending $6 for it.

In my experience, most JD albums have just OK sound quality, even the CDs. There is one noted exception if you can find it: The Best of John Denver Live on SACD. Its taken from his Wildlife Concert.

I've always liked John Denver. In fact, the very first record I ever purchased was his Greatest Hits. I was 13 years old at the time and felt really guilty about spending $6 for it.

In my experience, most JD albums have just OK sound quality, even the CDs. There is one noted exception if you can find it: The Best of John Denver Live on SACD. Its taken from his Wildlife Concert.

From what I've read, the Essential package has the best mastering all-around. I just bought that, and will now need to compare it to the boxed set, the individual albums, and the other hits collections. Some songs on some albums really do sound good, but overall I agree that for whatever reason there are engineering choices that could've been done differently with better result.