IGNORED

which DSD DAC supports DoP over SPDIF?

On LUMIN, Besides the HDMI native DSD output, some asked for DSD output on USB output. After some studying, it seems quite impossible on cuurent hardware as it was not designed for the feature.

On the other hand, I guess it is quite possible to add DoP on SPDIF output. So my question is which DSD DAC has DoP on SPDIF input? If more DAC has the function, then it may be worthy to add DoP on SPDIF output on LUMIN.

Thanks in advance!

associated with LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

I'd be cautious about anything from MediaTek. They are the folks removing features from Oppo units after the fact.

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

On LUMIN, Besides the HDMI native DSD output, some asked for DSD output on USB output. After some studying, it seems quite impossible on cuurent hardware as it was not designed for the feature.

On the other hand, I guess it is quite possible to add DoP on SPDIF output. So my question is which DSD DAC has DoP on SPDIF input? If more DAC has the function, then it may be worthy to add DoP on SPDIF output on LUMIN.

Thanks in advance!

I would encourage you to add this feature. There are a few DACs on the market that support DoP input on SPDIF. I'm also aware of one additional DAC that will support the feature soon. You can look on my database in the first column.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgVhKcl_3lHfdFVyenBBNjNpQ2lieG81WGpqQTNfVUE#gid=0

BTW I also make a devices that converts DoP to SPDIF for those DAC's that only support PCM input.

Jesus R

Could one argue that the MyTek product is one of the more "future proof" DACs on the market, especially for its price?

I'd be cautious about anything from MediaTek. They are the folks removing features from Oppo units after the fact.

Mytek is not MediaTek.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Could one argue that the MyTek product is one of the more "future proof" DACs on the market, especially for its price?

Well according to the specs on MyTek web site, MyTek does not support 32/384 wich is the main Studio standard actually

DoP is a USB protocol

No it's not!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Maybe you should read what you link to: From the final sentance of the opening paragraph...

While this method is mainly targeted for USB links it is general enough to be applied to other PCM based links such as Firewire, AES/EBU, S/PDIF etc.

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Errrrmmm.... I quote from the very first paragraph:

"While this method is mainly targeted for USB links it is general enough to be applied to other PCM based links such as Firewire, AES/EBU, S/PDIF etc."

oops, I see this has already been pointed out. Perhaps we could argue marmite vs vegemite instead?

DoP has nothing to do with USB in itself. It works over any transport capable of at least 176.4/24 PCM.

For example AES is mentioned for the "dual wire" mode specified in DoP 1.1.

"For those conduits that do not support 352.8kHz (such as AES/EBU) an alternative method can be used without raising the PCM sample rate:"

In this mode, one channel of DSD is transferred per AES cable. Nice, and works nicely for 352.8/384k PCM too.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Maybe you should read what you link to: From the final sentance of the opening paragraph...

While this method is mainly targeted for USB links it is general enough to be applied to other PCM based links such as Firewire, AES/EBU, S/PDIF etc.

Actualy, there is no player that does it beside the USB input

DoP is not exclusively a USB protocol, it is available to any digital input that can handle 24/176+. Many DACs handle DoP via those inputs.

here is a sample list:

Mytek Stereo 192 DAC

Chord QuteHD

Benchmark DAC2

Matrix X-SABRE

MSB Analog

MSB DAC IV series of DACs

Lynx Hilo

Playback Designs series of DACs

Poiram, where do you get your studio standard info? BTW, the Mytek handles DSD64 and DSD128 (USB ASIO) as well as DoP over SPDIF and AES, and PCm up to 24/192. There is no "studio standard" that says DXD (or even 32/384) is the official sample rate. Good luck finding lots of 32/384 recordings.

I'm out on a limb here as I don't have any links ... But I believe people have had it working over Lynx AES cards...

Anyway that's down to implementation NOT the specification of DoP which CAN work over SPDIF etc and is not specifically USB based.

Eloise

---

I've been doing it with my player software for quite a while, I guess I officially released the support around October 2011 or something like that.

I was using similar method with FourCC markers much earlier. And of course ASIO DSD was supported too.

Mytek is not MediaTek.

My eyes are showing their age. Thanks!

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

Player? It is not player specific. I've played DSD via non-USB DoP (AES/EBU and SPDIF) on at least 4 of those DACS I list above, via JRiver, for example, or HQPlayer.

Poiram, where do you get your studio standard info? BTW, the Mytek handles DSD64 and DSD128 (USB ASIO) as well as DoP over SPDIF and AES, and PCm up to 24/192. There is no "studio standard" that says DXD (or even 32/384) is the official sample rate. Good luck finding lots of 32/384 recordings.

Well I was just saying that the MyTek is not "future proof". No DXD is not in every studio in the world, but it's there and it's making it's way, so, in the "future" we'll have it and we wll have to be able to read it, no?
Well I was just saying that the MyTek is not "future proof". No DXD is not in every studio in the world, but it's there and it's making it's way, so, in the "future" we'll have it and we wll have to be able to read it, no?

I play DXD now..so what! It's not the argument you presented, which was that "32/384" (which is NOT DXD, by the way)"is the studio standard". It's not; don't change the subject. THAT is what you were saying.

BTW, DXD is 24/352.8K PCM and is used by a few studios, the most famous being Morten Lindberg's Nordic 2L label. It, also, is not the "studio standard". Yes, it may grow in popularity, and yes more and more DACs are able to play it. That is entirely a different comment, and if you led with that I wouldn't have argued. But DACs that "only" play 24/192 and up to DSD128 are hardly dinosaurs.

I play DXD just fine through Mytek by on-the-fly converting it to DSD128.

I play DXD just fine through Mytek by on-the-fly converting it to DSD128.

Well , please don't get mad at me, but by converting files, then every DAC is future proof? I don't want to be a trouble maker, I am just asking.

By the way, english is not my main language and some of the post I have made may seem provoking, they are not, It's just that I do not use the proper terms, I am sorry.

DACs that "only" play 24/192 and up to DSD128 are hardly dinosaurs.

Although the latest Pyramix update unlocks industry's highest res recording method (DSD256/11.298MHz), I agree that a 192kHz PCM / 5.6MHz DSD compatible device is pretty much up to date. I wish more DACs offered such format flexibility.