IGNORED

High-Resolution Downloads to die for…

Never hear this Rachmaninoff/Previn. But I remember an atrocious Carlo Maria Giulini / Claudio Arrau Brahms Piano Concertos (I sold it) and some dreaful Brigitte Fassbaender , all on EMI.

Well, EMI (earlier His Master's Voice) has made more recordings than you and I will ever live to listen - they may not in general have been in the same league as e.g. Decca in the fifties and sixties, but not all they've produced sounds bad!

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

Well, EMI (earlier His Master's Voice) has made more recordings than you and I will ever live to listen - they may not in general have been in the same league as e.g. Decca in the fifties and sixties, but not all they've produced sounds bad!

This is certainly an odd discussion. EMI recordings in the 50's and 60's are superb and compare favorably to Decca is every respect.

In fact, in the 50's EMI were miles ahead of Decca sonically, and in the 70's through to the early digital era kept a very high standard - far superior to the many abominations DG was producing during that era, and in the 80's was far better than Decca.

But forgetting sonics for a moment, EMI had by far the superior roster from the 50's straight through to the 80's and the key artists of the day actively preferred to be on EMI - Boult, Barbirolli, Giulini, Karajan, Klemperer, Previn, Kempe, Martinon, Munch, Cluytens, Plasson, Haitink, Rattle, Berglund, Kletzki, Silvestri, Beecham, Furtwangler, and the list keeps going on.No other label had near that bench strength.

This is certainly an odd discussion. EMI recordings in the 50's and 60's are superb and compare favorably to Decca is every respect.

In fact, in the 50's EMI were miles ahead of Decca sonically, and in the 70's through to the early digital era kept a very high standard - far superior to the many abominations DG was producing during that era, and in the 80's was far better than Decca.

But forgetting sonics for a moment, EMI had by far the superior roster from the 50's straight through to the 80's and the key artists of the day actively preferred to be on EMI - Boult, Barbirolli, Giulini, Karajan, Klemperer, Previn, Kempe, Martinon, Munch, Cluytens, Plasson, Haitink, Rattle, Berglund, Kletzki, Silvestri, Beecham, Furtwangler, and the list keeps going on.No other label had near that bench strength.

The artists are key when comes to EMI, no disagreement there. The list of indispensable records is near-endless. But when collectors start waxing lyrical about audiophile recordings from the late mono and early stereo era, there's good reason why the engineers that are invariably named first are Roy Wallace and Kenneth E. Wilkinson.

Available as 24/96 "Studio Master" download.

Rarely heard a recording in which massed strings sound so lifelike. The spatial projection is such that one might say, yes it's boxy, only it's a realistic box the size of a symphony hall. The winds have cut and sweetness to them (even if they sometimes sound a bit distant and/or veiled, which becomes the music well, however).

Ironically, this is one of the rare exceptions of a Previn recording I truly like. His interpretations tend to be bland, so it's tempting to quip his approach fits the musical content to a tee, when the truth is rather that Previn takes the music just for what it is, with the result that it'll make one swoon. No doubt the great sonics have much to do with it. Beautiful!

There are perhaps more "Russian" sounding recordings out there (as well as the fine Zinman recording on Telarc, thus far only available as CD), but none will make one sit through an hour of symphonic Rachmaninoff this easily.

Note also this is the full score, without the traditional cuts.

From where can this be downloaded? The only site I've seen was qobuz.com, and that seems to only allow sales from within France.

From where can this be downloaded? The only site I've seen was qobuz.com, and that seems to only allow sales from within France.

Sorry to hear! I could download it from outside of France. Do they accept PayPal? If so, have you tried that?

Sorry to hear! I could download it from outside of France. Do they accept PayPal? If so, have you tried that?

It doesn't have to do with the payment -- when I click in the button to buy it, I get a message that says the downloaded files aren't being made available in my region.

In the thread on the two different HiRes versions of the Kleiber 5th/7th, one of the posters remarked that he had tried a few of the Studio Masters downloads and was disappointed, because they didn't sound all that different from the CDs sourced from the same 24/96 Emil Berliner Studios remasters. The reply was that one would expect them to sound very close, coming from the same digital master. Which leads me to wonder about the Kleiber Nozze -- when the CD set came out, I recall a lot of complaints about how it was too bright, and inferior to the earlier CD release. Indeed, my CD set sounds rather thin, with a bit of a harsh edge. Does the 24/96 download, in your opinion represent a substantial sonic improvement over the "Studio Masters" CD release?

In the thread on the two different HiRes versions of the Kleiber 5th/7th, one of the posters remarked that he had tried a few of the Studio Masters downloads and was disappointed, because they didn't sound all that different from the CDs sourced from the same 24/96 Emil Berliner Studios remasters. The reply was that one would expect them to sound very close, coming from the same digital master. Which leads me to wonder about the Kleiber Nozze -- when the CD set came out, I recall a lot of complaints about how it was too bright, and inferior to the earlier CD release. Indeed, my CD set sounds rather thin, with a bit of a harsh edge. Does the 24/96 download, in your opinion represent a substantial sonic improvement over the "Studio Masters" CD release?

I have an extremely revealing system (more than one "in the business" remarked it could be used for mixing), and do not find the Decca Legends CD set bright, thin nor harsh (is this the one you're alluding to?), nor the 24/96 download (which one must assume is the same transfer used as basis for CD release).

I'll admit I'm a sucker for live concerts (the atmosphere, the sense of being there),

me too!

The problem with the remasters is that it is like a Russian roulette to find the those that have been done well.

My Milt Jackson/Wes Montgomery 1th cd version sound so much better than the later issued 24bit remaster,

But the Kind of Blue 24bit remaster is fabulous.I.m.h.o.

A problem with some of the older recordings is also that the rights of the recordings have been sold and then resold many times,with the original masters disappearing in the process.And also,which is the case of i.e.Sonny Rollins masterpiece ''the Bridge'',

the rights has been spread over several different companies,making it hard to get a CD version done with respect to the original sound.

and acoustic guru,check these for modern day live Jazz recordings.

Music Store

24/96 wav Studio Masters,Straight from the recording desk.Or like another forum member said ''like buying Milk from the farmer,unpasteurized.''

And Blue Coast records is also to be recommended,also straight from the studio.

Peterbj,

Those Sound Liason recordings are great finds!! Thanx. The live studio audience ones, especially...a great sense of ambiance and harmonic decay...and that simply from the store download samples!! I'm gonna buy a few for sure. Thx

Ted

Peterbj,

Those Sound Liason recordings are great finds!! Thanx. The live studio audience ones, especially...a great sense of ambiance and harmonic decay...and that simply from the store download samples!! I'm gonna buy a few for sure. Thx

Ted

Where can one find samples to download?

I'll admit I'm a sucker for live concerts (the atmosphere, the sense of being there),

me too!

The problem with the remasters is that it is like a Russian roulette to find the those that have been done well.

My Milt Jackson/Wes Montgomery 1th cd version sound so much better than the later issued 24bit remaster,

But the Kind of Blue 24bit remaster is fabulous.I.m.h.o.

A problem with some of the older recordings is also that the rights of the recordings have been sold and then resold many times,with the original masters disappearing in the process.And also,which is the case of i.e.Sonny Rollins masterpiece ''the Bridge'',

the rights has been spread over several different companies,making it hard to get a CD version done with respect to the original sound.

and acoustic guru,check these for modern day live Jazz recordings.

Music Store

24/96 wav Studio Masters,Straight from the recording desk.Or like another forum member said ''like buying Milk from the farmer,unpasteurized.''

And Blue Coast records is also to be recommended,also straight from the studio.

There's a 24-Bit download of Kind of Blue?

Where can one find samples to download?

I simply meant the samples on the website's album page for each album. It's where you buy the songs and/or complete album.

Peterbj,

Ted

hi Ted did you reed Rad Bennets SoundStage! review?

He has the same remarks as you do.

I've been among the prophets saying that high-resolution downloads are the future of audiophile music sales. Surely it will benefit the majors to make high-quality downloads a first choice rather than an MP3 extra, but I believe that individual artists can benefit as well. Most new-to-the-scene performers have little money for middlemen and disc manufacture, yet can get things together for the Internet.Frans de Rond and Peter Bjørnild have taken this approach with Sound Liaison, producing recordings available only in 24-bit/96kHz downloads that mirror the master recording. And man, are they ever sweet. I've seldom heard recordings that were so successful in both performance and sound aspects.

De Rond hails from the Netherlands, where he studied double bass at The Royal Conservatory in The Hague while concurrently studying recording techniques. Bjørnild also studied double bass, moving to the Netherlands to continue studies at The Hague. Since graduating, he has played almost every type of music, from classical to jazz. Together de Rond and Bjørnild bring two pairs of golden ears to their label. Bjørnild claims that, "a recording should be as realistic and beautiful sounding as possible. As if, when closing your eyes, you find yourself in the best seat in the hall."

The partners discovered a fine recording hall (Studio-Eleven, Hilversum) and set out to record amazing musicians in this great acoustic place in front of live audiences. It's a daring feat; one take and no place to hide, but the abilities of the musicians involved make it seem easy. I chose to talk about the first album by Carmen Gomes Inc. It was a tough choice because all of the three current albums were worthy of review.

Carmen Gomes has won many awards in the Netherlands and surrounding areas. Like so many new European singers, she sings in English -- excellent English, I might add. She's formed a group called Carmen Gomes Inc., with Folker Tettero on guitar, Peter Bjørnild on double bass, and Marcel van Engelen on drums. Her style is bluesy and intimate with a sexy voice that's sweet as dark tupelo honey, and her interpretations are unerring. The musicians play to her and to each other, and the ensemble is so tight that the four musicians breathe and move as one.

There are some standards on the set that knocked me over with their fresh approach. Any singer can misplace a few accents and rhythms and come up with something that's original, but perhaps also uneasy and a little strange. Not Gomes, who has taken the songs to their bones and then restructured them to suit her style. Thus "Fever" doesn't sound like a cover of Peggy Lee; it sounds like a brand new take on a familiar song. You emerge from hearing it not thinking it's better or lesser than Lee's version, but that it's a valid new interpretation that could have come first.

The same approach works on "Angel Eyes," "You Don't Know What Love Is," and "I'm on Fire." Most of the rest, including the title song, "Oblivion," "Time Will Tell," "Gasoa Blue," and "The Sea," are Gomes originals that fit right in with the standards. The recording achieves exactly what Bjørnild set out as his goal. It can provide the best seat in your listening room. Go to the Sound Liaison site, listen to a few samples, download an album, and see if you don't agree that this intimate effort is one of the best and best-sounding jazz vocal albums to come along in many a day. By the way, the small audience applauds enthusiastically enough after the last chords of a song die away, but the attendees never interrupt or make themselves known while a song is going on. No doubt they were completely mesmerized into silence, as was I.

Be sure to listen to: On "Dock of the Bay," Gomes creates a languid, bluesy version that is a little bit reminiscent of Bobbie Gentry while still coming across as quite original. It'll cast a spell over you.

. . . Rad Bennett

Paid for the reviewed Gomes album, but Music Store continues to show as "pending". Sent info-at my paypal receipt and question. Maybe the store is not live on the weekends?? Oh well..patience is something I need to work on. :)

There's a 24-Bit download of Kind of Blue?

Not yet, that I know of. The only downloadable version appears to be MP3s from Amazon. However, since there was a good-sounding SACD release of this title, I wouldn't be surprised to see it eventually made available as a 24/176 release from HDTracks.

Paid for the reviewed Gomes album, but Music Store continues to show as "pending". Sent info-at my paypal receipt and question. Maybe the store is not live on the weekends?? Oh well..patience is something I need to work on. :)

ted-b

I too bought the reviewed Gomes album a month ago. Others have too, we all seemed to have purchase "pending" issues when payment was via paypal. According to the site owner its some problem between his website and paypal having acknowledged the payment transaction as having completed. We all solved the "pending" issue by emailing Sound Liaisons who manually changed the pending status to "purchased" which then allowed us to download the album. For me it was resolved in a few hours...depends on time zone differences.

Frizzup

The DL site is tricky but you will have the album soon. When this site was mentioned by some one I got the trick, but I don't remember anymore...

Patience Ted? Why do you suppose I finish growing Bonsais, I was killing myself with the rush! Maybe Bonsais grows faster in the tropic but at the growing rate they want...

Best,

Roch