IGNORED

High-Resolution Downloads to die for…

1 hour ago, bmoura said:

The NativeDSD site has sound clips of all three.  So you can sample the 3 versions.  

And there is usually the option to buy by track, so you could download a bit of each.  

The Gergiev/LSO does look interesting.   May be your answer. 

Dodd says "The LSO with Gergiev certainly show off Gergiev’s usual abilities."

https://lsolive.nativedsd.com/albums/berlioz-symphonie-fantastique-overture-waverley

I have the Gergiev. Not in my top dozen Symphonie Fantastique recordings either… It's true it picks up some steam as it goes, though.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

2 hours ago, unbalanced output said:

Hi bmoura! Thanks for the update, very kind of you for sharing (I wouldn't have checked the site if it weren't you!)

Salü David, I'm very picky about some recordings and the Symphonie Fantastique is one of them. I can't remember which recordings I liked the most in the past, however I remember some were in vynil. I will probably like Gergiev's recording, I could listen to the complete Marche au Suplice and quite liked it. However, at least in the preview the recording didn't sound that good. There's an overall lack of ambience but then I'm not sure if it's due to the streaming. Without having heard all three recordings, I could agree that Gatti's is possibly the least interesting; the march au suplice does sound a bit italian, I'd say - which is not a bad thing, but not quite what we would expect!

On LP, you may be thinking of the Kojian on Reference Recordings, if not some of the legendary analogue recordings (Munch, prefer his second stereo - there are four - and Davis, Silvestri, Klemperer, Bernstein, Ozawa, Paray, Beecham)?

I can't honestly remember which recordings we used to have, however they're not with me anymore. 

Got the Pittsburgh's recording. It's an impressive recording, it does give the sensation of being in the concert hall like I haven't heard in my system before. I just wasn't so keen on the last movement, gotta give it another listen.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 22/04/2013 at 6:41 AM, acousticsguru said:

Available in 24/96. What my dad used to play for months and months when I was a kid, the record I'd take to HiFi stores when trying to decide on my first loudspeakers with my hard-earned flea-market money as a teenager - much to the chagrin of audiophile dealers who tried to compare the virtue of one pair of speakers over another, I invariably stormed out protesting not one sounded anything like my grandma's Steinway on which my sister was allowed to practice. It's the recording that made me start building loudspeakers, and thus made me embark on a seemingly never-ending audiophile journey.

Hi David @acousticsguru,

Are there meant to be links to recordings on a lot of these posts, or have they been removed?  A lot of the posts reference a recording but it is not clear which one!  Great thread.  Thanks.

10 hours ago, bpchia said:

Hi David @acousticsguru,

Are there meant to be links to recordings on a lot of these posts, or have they been removed?  A lot of the posts reference a recording but it is not clear which one!  Great thread.  Thanks.

Are you looking for a specific one? In some cases, better-sounding remasterings and/or releases have become available, as in the case of the above-quoted Köln Concert, of which there is an SACD and DSD download now.

Here's another one to check out by Jazz fans.

Revisiting The Goodman Years by the Teddy Wilson Trio. Another excellent DSD 256 Stereo Download from 2xHD-Storyville Records. Not available on SACD.

"Revisiting The Goodman Years is the latest DSD 256 release from 2xhd Mastering - Storyville Records. It features famed Jazz pianist Teddy Wilson with Jesper Lundgaard on bass and Ed Thigpen on drums as they play the music of Benny Goodman.

This is an Analog Master Tape to DSD 256 Stereo transfer by René Laflamme at 2xHD using the Merging Technologies Horus Analog to DSD 256 Converter. It's not on SACD but it is available at the Native DSD Music store in DSD 256, DSD 128 and DSD 64. If you buy the DSD 256 edition of the album, the DSD 128 and DSD 64 versions are available to you at no added cost.

2xHD-Storyville tells us "Teddy Wilson bears the proud title of Jazz Musician pure and simple. That is why the music on this record is of such a high standard.

By the time he joined Benny Goodman (at age 23 in 1935) Wilson had mastered aesthetic perfection and he has allowed music to speak for him ever since. Whatever elegance means, Teddy Wilson is it!

These words from Benny Goodman and the Jazz textbooks that have typecast his individuality with words like ‘urbane’ ‘polished’, ‘poised’ or ‘impeccable’ designate his royal place in the hierarchy of great jazz pianists. Teddy Wilson’s originality has surmounted every trend, both as a soloist and as a catalyst for all the greatest musicians of this era.

Wilson is elegant, he is never bland. His subtlety never neglects intensity. And his sense of poise never interferes with his sound of surprise. Teddy Wilson is, most of all, a pure musician."

cover.thumb.jpg.cbe6c60fdc32f4d271df29a4363c325f.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/NativeDsdMusic/photos/a.765908406800903.1073741828.497854580272955/1562272710497798/?type=3

https://2xhd.nativedsd.com/albums/2XHDST1091-revisiting-the-goodman-years

• 2 weeks later...

Check out Live at Village Vanguard in Stereo DSD 256 by the Les Mc Cann Trio.  Another Analog Tape to DSD 256 transfer from 2xHD Mastering and Resonance Records.   A swinging and tasty Jazz DSD Download, Not Available on SACD.  Recommended.

cover.thumb.jpg.318f8afe84d48aedb4998ad6b0eb025f.jpg

https://2xhd.nativedsd.com/albums/2XHDRE1093-les-mccann-live-at-the-village-vanguard

https://www.facebook.com/NativeDsdMusic/photos/a.765908406800903.1073741828.497854580272955/1572805439444525/?type=3

• 1 month later...

Confluences by pianist Josep Colom in DSD 256 Surround Sound from NativeDSD Music.
A native DSD 256 Stereo and Surround Sound recording with no DXD processing. 

It's the follow up to his DSD 256 album Dialogue.   

cover.thumb.jpg.43dc4477824c64217c4823be54a2af07.jpg

"Joel D. Parker from Tel Aviv, Israel highlights the new DSD 256 Stereo & Multichannel release Confluences performed by pianist Josep Colom on Eudora Records. This is a native DSD 256 recording with no DXD processing. It's a Top 10 Best Seller at the NativeDSD Music store. He also praises a second Colom DSD 256 Stereo & Multichannel album Dialogue which is also available at the Native DSD Music store.

Joel says “My search for recorded music that actually sounds real and doesn’t wear down the ears began with vinyl, and eventually I found DSD, which has the warmth of vinyl but the clarity of live music. Now I try to convince my musician and audio-tech friends to give it a listen. I haven’t touched a turntable in ages.”

Turning to Confluences in DSD 256, Joel tells us "Confluence, meaning “the place where two rivers flow together and become one larger river” (Cambridge Dictionary), is a well-thought through solo piano album that interweaves Chopin and Bach in their barest form. It is a delightful follow up to the Spanish virtuoso pianist Josep Colom’s previous album with Eudora, Dialogue, [also available from NativeDSD here] combining the music of Mozart and Chopin.

Colom provides listeners with an intellectual journey that can mesmerize novices as much as it seduces connoisseurs of the piano. This adds to the intellectual intrigue offered here, which was originally recorded in 256 DSD and 5.0 channels to allow for a potentially cascading wall of sound for those equipped for the ride."

http://blog.nativedsd.com/part-1-published-call-for-reviewers/
https://eudora.nativedsd.com/albums/EUDDR1703-confluences-bach-chopin
https://eudora.nativedsd.com/albums/mozart-chopin-dialogue
https://www.facebook.com/NativeDsdMusic/photos/a.765908406800903.1073741828.497854580272955/1605309729527429/?type=3

Available in 24/96. What my dad used to play for months and months when I was a kid, the record I'd take to HiFi stores when trying to decide on my first loudspeakers with my hard-earned flea-market money as a teenager - much to the chagrin of audiophile dealers who tried to compare the virtue of one pair of speakers over another, I invariably stormed out protesting not one sounded anything like my grandma's Steinway on which my sister was allowed to practice. It's the recording that made me start building loudspeakers, and thus made me embark on a seemingly never-ending audiophile journey.

@acousticsguru sorry for the late reply...this one I am interested which recording is your best?  Thanks (will post a few more that I would like the reference to...is there a reason the links have been removed?)

On 22/04/2013 at 6:50 AM, acousticsguru said:

Available as "24/96" Studio Master download. Maybe you remember when you first got into computer audio - which were the downloads you most feverishly browsed for, hoping they'd exist in some form or other? The quality of the music-making, the orchestra, the cast, the recording quality, everything seems to come together in this classic of the opera repertoire. One of those recordings that will make one smile, laugh out loud, weep, sing along off-key, jump about in joy, pull out a great bottle from one's wine cellar, or fall in love with the first floozy that crosses one's way, depending on how one is inclined…

this

On 22/04/2013 at 11:02 AM, acousticsguru said:

Upon closer inspection, it's almost impossible to pick a favourite for warhorses of this stature. Carlos Kleiber's recording of Beethoven's 5th may indeed be my favourite. Certainly from the stereo era. It's songful yet feverish, light where others tend to be heavy and woolly, and the forward drive and overall sweep is second to none.

I collect recordings, and would rather not be forced to pick a desert island favourite in the literal sense of the term. Maybe the scale would tip in favour of Furtwängler's 30 June 1943 Berlin live performance if that ever became available in anywhere near the same sound quality (which is going to take a technical miracle given it's a wartime monaural radio broadcast). Needless to say, there are other fine recordings (how could there not be, we're talking about Beethoven's 5th, after all), even in the stereo era (on a side note, someone out there should turn their mind on making the complete René Leibowitz cycle for Reader's Digest available as high-res download). On balance, this is "it", and has been for almost 40 years.

As to the 7th, I may have a slight preference for Carlos Kleiber's 1983 Amsterdam live performance, but again, this hardly matters in the context of recordings from the stereo era, let alone available high-resolution downloads. I know one audio critic who says the funeral march from the studio version is what he invariably wants to hear first on any stereo under review, and may be the last piece of music he wants to hear on his deathbed.

Just make sure to get the 24/96 "Studio Master" download and not the 24/88.2 downsampling from the upsampled DSD/SACD - the difference is noticeable!

Where can one get the 24/96 "Studio Master" download referenced in the last paragraph?  Thanks

On 22/04/2013 at 11:24 AM, acousticsguru said:

Available as 24/96 "Studio Master". Critical consensus has it that Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli's 1957 recording is pianistically the greatest Ravel's Piano Concerto is likely to receive - ever. From a purely musical/interpretive perspective I'd always want to have both in my collection. Samson François nails the wittiness, irony and sweetness of the piece, and who could conduct this repertoire better than André Cluytens, or sound any more French than the Paris Conservatoire Orchestra?

Plus it's coupled with one of the very finest recordings of Ravel's Piano Concerto for the Left Hand (my favourite are Fleisher's, the earlier under Comissiona in particular, the old Casadesus deserves to be heard, as well as Katchen's entry - the first few notes that have made some critics wonder if perhaps he cheated using both hands).

More than decent sound quality, by the way, Samson François has never sounded better than in these 2011 remasterings (the same that served as a basis for the SACD release).

this one please @acousticsguru

8 hours ago, bpchia said:

@acousticsguru sorry for the late reply...this one I am interested which recording is your best?  Thanks (will post a few more that I would like the reference to...is there a reason the links have been removed?)

Of Keith Jarrett's Köln Concert, there is a Japanese SACD now from Tower Records that sounds better than the PCM download. You'll need to order from Tower Japan, though.

@acousticsguru sorry for the confusion, if you look at your original posts on page 1, the actual recordings you are discussing seem to be missing a link, description or reference...are you able to tell me the recordings of the following? Because in the posts it doesn't explicitly state the composer, conductor, orchestra, year, etc.  Many thanks, I look forward to listening to these...:

Available in 24/96. What my dad used to play for months and months when I was a kid, the record I'd take to HiFi stores when trying to decide on my first loudspeakers with my hard-earned flea-market money as a teenager -

On 22/04/2013 at 6:50 AM, acousticsguru said:

Available as "24/96" Studio Master download. Maybe you remember when you first got into computer audio - which were the downloads you most feverishly browsed for, hoping they'd exist in some form or other? The quality of the music-making, the orchestra, the cast, the recording quality, everything seems to come together in this classic of the opera repertoire.

On 22/04/2013 at 11:24 AM, acousticsguru said:

Available as 24/96 "Studio Master". Critical consensus has it that Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli's 1957 recording is pianistically the greatest Ravel's Piano Concerto is likely to receive - ever.

On 23/04/2013 at 2:34 AM, acousticsguru said:

Available as 24/96 "Studio Master" download.

Rarely heard a recording in which massed strings sound so lifelike. The spatial projection is such that one might say, yes it's boxy, only it's a realistic box the size of a symphony hall. The winds have cut and sweetness to them (even if they sometimes sound a bit distant and/or veiled, which becomes the music well, however).

On 23/04/2013 at 3:55 AM, acousticsguru said:

Available as 24/176.4 (alternatively 88.2) download. The download appears to be an integer downsampling of the SACD's DSD layer.

I for one have always preferred the original piano score to Ravel's highly successful and popular orchestration (a greater orchestrator may never have lived). There are those who will maintain it

17 minutes ago, bpchia said:

@acousticsguru sorry for the confusion, if you look at your original posts on page 1, the actual recordings you are discussing seem to be missing a link, description or reference...are you able to tell me the recordings of the following? Because in the posts it doesn't explicitly state the composer, conductor, orchestra, year, etc.  Many thanks, I look forward to listening to these...:

I see now. All the titles from those early posts (which date back to before the web site was redone) are gone!

One is referring to Keith Jarrett's Köln Concert, of which the new Japanese SACD sounds better than the 24/96 PCM download discussed back then:

http://tower.jp/item/4443499/ザ・ケルン・コンサート<タワーレコード限定-完全限定盤>

The same is true of the next recording, Erich Kleiber's Figaro:

http://tower.jp/item/4457675/モーツァルト:-歌劇「フィガロの結婚」全曲<タワーレコード限定>

And again, the same is true of Previn's recording of Rachmaninoff's Symphony No. 2:

http://tower.jp/item/4549246/ラフマニノフ:-交響曲第1番-第3番-&-管弦楽作品集<タワーレコード限定>

You'll still find the earlier 24/96 PCM downloads here, of course, however, if you do have SACD playback and/or DSD ripping/computer audio playback capabilities, the above are all preferable:

http://www.findhdmusic.com

• 2 months later...

Now available in Pure DSD 256 Stereo and Multichannel: En Silencio from guitarist Ricardo Jesús Gallén - 2 weeks ahead of the official release date. And in the original DSD 256 resolution - with no DXD processing! Nice.

5a9c4c3ddf677_EnSilencio-EUDDR1801.thumb.jpg.f783cc7ca7c631051543f5f994256e05.jpg

Guitarist Ricardo Jesús Gallén played on the first DSD 256 release from Eudora Records - Fernando Sor: Guitar Sonatas - which is the label’s top selling DSD release.

Now Gallen returns with En Silencio: Latin American Guitar Music, another must-hear performance in DSD 256 Stereo and DSD 256 Multichannel.

The silencing warmth of the recording can be experienced ahead of a purchase of the album by listening to his video performing one of the tracks from the album: Agustín Barrios Mangoré composition La Catedral: III. Allegro Solemne (YouTube video linked below).

For this recording Sonodore microphones were used to bring the music to the Horus Analog to DSD 256 Converter from Merging Technologies. Eudora notes that "Of course, no DXD conversion and processing was applied, this is a pure DSD256 recording."

En Silencio has a release date of March 16, 2018. But this album is too good to keep listeners waiting that long. So we have it for you today at the Native DSD Music store in Stereo and Multichannel DSD 256 (the recorded DSD bit rate), DSD 128 and DSD 64.

Gonzalo Noqué, producer/engineer of Eudora Records, introduces this gorgeous new DSD 256 album with guitarist Ricardo Gallén in the NativeDSD Blog's "Producer's Notes" section. Gonzalo tells us: "Every time I record in DSD in the 13th Century Church of San Francisco, in Ávila (Spain) I’m marvelled at the acoustics of this location and the ability of the DSD256 format to capture the nuances of the instruments and natural space acoustics.

To bring you the full benefit of this native DSD 256 recording, all the DSD files for En Silencio at the NativeDSD Music store use DSD rendering from the master DSD 256fs Stereo and Surround Sound recording. No DXD conversions, balancing and processing are present on this release."

https://eudora.nativedsd.com/albums/EUDDR1801-en-silencio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=60W9VXZKBGY
http://blog.nativedsd.com/producers-note-for-ricardo-gallen-en-silencio/
https://eudora.nativedsd.com/albums/fernando-sor-guitar-sonatas

https://www.facebook.com/NativeDsdMusic/posts/1676716932386708