IGNORED

Next step after Benchmark DAC1

Hello guys! I was really in love with my DAC1 lately but it's time to upgrade but don't know where to.

Is there any of those who loved the first version and upgraded to something new from high-end line up? I love almost everything in DAC1, especially it's PRAT and signature, it's crystal clear and dead quiet. But there is one thing that forced me to sell it — there is a lack of resolution. It totally failed while I've bought my vinyl rig. Some guys told me that higher version PRE or HDR would sound better. Is that so?

The owner of DAC2 told me that it sound completelly different.

Other sources I've owned/listened and didn't liked are:

Lavry DA10

Ps Audio DLIII

VALAB NOS DAC

McIntosh MCD201, MCD500

Antelope

PS. I'm not into analog like sound and whatever it is. I need a quiet and crystal clear sound full of PRAT, that's what I call an egaging DAC.

My rig:

McIntosh MA2275

Klipsch RF-7II

Technics 1210 MKII + Ortofon 2M Black

MacBook Pro + Roon > Airport Extreme > microRendu + mbps-d2s > Auralic Vega > McIntosh MC275 > Yamaha NS-2000

Wired with: High Fidelity CT-1 Enhanced RCA, Revelation Audio Labs, Fadel Art Coherence PC

DAC2 is like the DAC1, only more of it and a smoother, cleaner sound. It might be the cat's meow for you, though you may or may not choose to use the Preamp functionality built into it.

I have been surveying the DAC market for a while now. My all time favorite though expensive is Wavelength CoSecant or Crimson DACs. Gorgeous sound, all the detail you could want, PRAT, and you can listen to it effectively forever without any fatigue.

On the low end of the Wavelength scale, there is the Proton and Brick devices- I have the Proton and it is easily very competitive. May not be detailed enough for you though. It has plenty of detail, but it is smooth as silk, and a tab bit rolled off in the top end.

Besides the Benchmark DAC2, which I really like, I can point you towards some of the lower cost DACs that to me, exhibit a whole range of sound differences.

The PeachTree DAC*IT - this is a true gem I think. Very sensitive to the rest of the system, but with a good fit, it is easily competitive sound wise to the DACs costing 2x-3x more. (IMNSHO of course.) This is a great place to start.

The Jolida Tube DAC II - this has some possible show-stoppers to it as a main DAC, not the least of which is the USB input is not really usable, but the Coax or TOSLink inputs provide great sound!

-Paul

The owner of DAC2 told me that it sound completelly different.

Other sources I've owned/listened and didn't liked are:

Lavry DA10

Ps Audio DLIII

VALAB NOS DAC

McIntosh MCD201, MCD500

Antelope

PS. I'm not into analog like sound and whatever it is. I need a quiet and crystal clear sound full of PRAT, that's what I call an egaging DAC.

My rig:

McIntosh MA2275

Klipsch RF-7II

Technics 1210 MKII + Ortofon 2M Black

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Thank you, Paul!

If I'll find the DAC2 in Russia (where I am now), will definately have a listen. The other option I would like to try now is the Chord line up since there are a lot of haters of those dacs it may be my tool haha:) Since there were a lot of haters of DAC1 too. Wavelenght DACs are really dark horses in Russia, I believe there are 1-10 maybe here, maybe none of them available. No distributors at all.

MacBook Pro + Roon > Airport Extreme > microRendu + mbps-d2s > Auralic Vega > McIntosh MC275 > Yamaha NS-2000

Wired with: High Fidelity CT-1 Enhanced RCA, Revelation Audio Labs, Fadel Art Coherence PC

So, I've decided that the next step is Benchmark DAC1 Pre :) Then Berkeley USB + bunch of fancy cables.

I upgraded to the Res. Invicta. Because I wanted DSD. So I also obviously looked at the new Bench. HGC.... What got the Invicta over the line for me was the SDCard option. I'm continually plagued with network and ground loop issues, so I wanted something isolated and independent from my other gear. The Invicta gave me those options. So it was for these reasons. Once I got the Invicta, I just couldn't part with the DAC1. It's been like a pet dog for me. It was my very first DAC. The sound is still as pure and clear as it has ever been. It will become a classic IMHO, so will never lose its value: look what they still bring second hand on ebay!! It's what got me into this crazy hobby. I luv that thing. So I'm keeping it and will move it into another location. Cheers.

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

^ You will regret it if you sell it :)

Don't do it! Reuse it. I love my DAC1 :)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Yes, i'm gonna do it... again in third time :) The dac is on my way.

Thinking on getting the second one and give it to some cool Electro-yoda to pimp it up maybe, it could be what

I am actually in a similar situation as you in that I have the Dac1 (and love it) but am wondering where to go from here. My interest has been piqued by DRC and software crossover systems to the point that I believe I will get a more worthwhile upgrade from using a multi channel Dac system with multi channel output from my computer's DRC and crossovers *(the rumor mill says Benchmark will come out with a $4000 16 channel DAC that can even be run from firewire!) as to give each channel its own D/A chip and hopefully better resolution from each driver.

It will take much more work than just swapping in a new 2 channel Dac, including work on your speakers, but from my experience listening to the systems of friends doing both and similar options, we will not get, in my opinion, enough of an upgrade from just buying a new 2 channel Dac. I have not listened to the Dac2 yet, but I only use PC audio and therefore have no need for the analog inputs. The sound may be better, but I think we can use the money more effectively and this will be my summer project.