IGNORED

Anyone have the 24-bit download of Gotye's Making Mirrors album?

24bit wav version of Making Mirrors available - Gotye

The CD is quite compressed (DR6), so I'm curious if the above is any better. It's $19 so I'm hesitant to splurge on it just to find that it's exactly the same.

On the DR Database, there's an entry for the video of "Somebody That I Used To Know" claiming that it sounds quite a bit better, hence I'm tentatively hopeful that there may actually be something better out there (even if it's just locked away in Wally's vault).

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has the 24-bit version, and what your impressions are.

24bit wav version of Making Mirrors available - Gotye

The CD is quite compressed (DR6), so I'm curious if the above is any better. It's $19 so I'm hesitant to splurge on it just to find that it's exactly the same.

On the DR Database, there's an entry for the video of "Somebody That I Used To Know" claiming that it sounds quite a bit better, hence I'm tentatively hopeful that there may actually be something better out there (even if it's just locked away in Wally's vault).

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has the 24-bit version, and what your impressions are.

It sounds nice to me...but I've not heard the CD version so I don't know that it is any better. The DR isn't improved and a couple of songs are "hot" as you can see. My favorite "sound" is actually Tract 9.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Analyzed folder: /Volumes/Music Server Oyen 1 TB/Music/Gotye/Making Mirrors (24-bit Master)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Filename

DR11 -3.98 dB -19.73 dB 01 Making Mirrors.aif

DR6 over -8.33 dB 02 Easy Way Out.aif

DR5 over -9.10 dB 03 Somebody That I Used To Know.aif

DR4 -0.20 dB -6.78 dB 04 Eyes Wide Open.aif

DR6 -0.14 dB -8.05 dB 05 Smoke and Mirrors.aif

DR4 -0.30 dB -6.95 dB 06 I Feel Better.aif

DR5 -0.60 dB -6.73 dB 07 In Your Light.aif

DR5 -0.20 dB -7.91 dB 08 State of the Art.aif

DR7 -0.20 dB -10.98 dB 09 Don't Worry, We'll Be Watching You.aif

DR7 -0.95 dB -10.43 dB 10 Giving Me A Chance.aif

DR5 -1.10 dB -6.85 dB 11 Save Me.aif

DR9 -2.05 dB -13.87 dB 12 Bronte.aif

Number of files: 12

Official DR value: DR6

==================================================================================

I hope that gives you a little more info...

Best,

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Funny, because I get these readings on the same download:

Analyzed folder: /Volumes/music/Gotye/Making Mirrors

DR Peak RMS Filename

DR7 -0.79 dB -10.43 dB 10 Gotye - Giving Me a Chance

DR6 over -8.34 dB 02 Gotye - Easy Way Out

DR5 over -6.96 dB 06 Gotye - I Feel Better

DR11 -3.96 dB -19.74 dB 01 Gotye - Making Mirrors

DR8 over -10.98 dB 09 Gotye - Don't Worry, We'll Be Watching You

DR4 over -6.79 dB 04 Gotye - Eyes Wide Open

DR5 -0.33 dB -6.86 dB 11 Gotye - Save Me

DR5 over -9.10 dB 03 Gotye - Somebody That I Used to Know

DR6 over -8.06 dB 05 Gotye - Smoke and Mirrors

DR9 -2.06 dB -13.88 dB 12 Gotye - Bronte

DR5 over -7.92 dB 08 Gotye - State of the Art

DR5 -0.07 dB -6.74 dB 07 Gotye - In Your Light

Number of files: 12

==============================================================================================

Maybe they have changed the download, because a lot more songs on my 24bit download clips 0db

My Equipment:

Naim Nait XS, Rega Dac, Squeezebox Touch, Dynaudio Focus 110.

They actually posted this message on the site, regarding the mastering for vinyl:

Basically, to ensure it's a brilliant-sounding record that you will want to play for a long time, Gotye has had to fundamentally re-direct the production process.Gotye has had two test pressings of Making Mirrors done so far, and both of them didn’t sound good enough. It turns out the album is a very hard one to cut for vinyl- it has around 22 minutes of music per side (when the ideal is about 18 minutes per side), and it has some of the loudest, most compressed tracks near the inside of the A-side groove. This is basically a vinyl mastering engineer's nightmare.

The first test pressing had an infinite loop on one of the A-side tracks, resultant from the mastering engineer cutting the music too loud.

The second test pressing had a loud hum after the last track on the B-side and the A-side was sounding comparatively soft, quite thin and too close to the noisefloor of the vinyl medium for Gotye's liking (by that he means that the inherent hum, noise, pops and crackle you get from vinyl were impinging on the music too much).So Gotye made a tough but necessary decision- do the record on double LP!It's gonna sound louder, crisper and basically much better than if he tried to persist in cutting it for single LP.To keep this double LP within the original budget, he's decided to press 1000 units instead of the initially announced 500. Unfortunately, the expected shipment date is a little bit further out from what was initially announced. However, the free digital download card will be sent out to you immediately after receiving your pre-order.

My Equipment:

Naim Nait XS, Rega Dac, Squeezebox Touch, Dynaudio Focus 110.

(how odd - I replied last night, but I don't see it here today. anyway...)

Thank you both for the response! So this confirms that it's effectively the same mastering I

Here's the CD:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR11 -3.20 dB -19.54 dB 1:01 01-01 Making Mirrors

DR6 0.00 dB -8.33 dB 1:58 02-02 Easy Way Out

DR5 0.00 dB -9.10 dB 4:05 03-03 Somebody That I Used to Know

DR4 -0.20 dB -6.79 dB 3:11 04-04 Eyes Wide Open

DR6 -0.12 dB -8.06 dB 5:13 05-05 Smoke and Mirrors

DR4 -0.30 dB -6.95 dB 3:18 06-06 I Feel Better

DR5 -0.59 dB -6.68 dB 4:39 07-07 In Your Light

DR5 -0.20 dB -7.92 dB 5:22 08-08 State of the Art

DR8 -0.20 dB -10.98 dB 3:19 09-09 Don't Worry, We'll Be Watching You

DR7 -0.59 dB -10.39 dB 3:07 10-10 Giving Me a Chance

DR5 -1.09 dB -6.83 dB 3:53 11-11 Save Me

DR9 -1.91 dB -13.87 dB 3:19 12-12 Bronte

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of tracks: 12