IGNORED

Best of the best DSD downloads

Which song or album do you recommend?

It depends on your test in music. The sound quality is uniformly excellent for Blue Coast recordings. I would suggest the Blue Coast Collection series(there is a first and second disc in the series), giving it a listen, and then making future purchase choices from there. Also, if you like classical music, Blue Coast has a Michael Tilson Thomas and the San Francisco Orchestra recording of a Mahler symphony in DSD, plus Channel Classics (http://www.channelclassics.com/) has numerous classical recordings in DSD as well. The only caveat here is that DSD downloads do not come at a cheap price.

Esau

It depends on your test in music. The sound quality is uniformly excellent for Blue Coast recordings. I would suggest the Blue Coast Collection series(there is a first and second disc in the series), giving it a listen, and then making future purchase choices from there. Also, if you like classical music, Blue Coast has a Michael Tilson Thomas and the San Francisco Orchestra recording of a Mahler symphony in DSD, plus Channel Classics (Home of award-winning artists, on SACD, DSD & high resolution download - Channel Classics Records) has numerous classical recordings in DSD as well. The only caveat here is that DSD downloads do not come at a cheap price.

Esau

+1 the Mahler symphony recording is from tape and recorded well before digital was even thought of. Just makes you wince at the tools available today and the garbage that gets recorded, but with a little more effort would make such a difference. A bad tradesman blames their tools...hmm.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

If you liked the piano playing on Hoff Ensemble - Quiet Winter Night I can recommend this artists latest release, also on 2L and available directly on their site and other shops:

Jan Gunnar Hoff - Living

His intuitive, emotional flow playing piano reminds me of Keith Jarrett.

Anyone heard the DSD download of Vijay Iyer's "Solo" that's available on Downloads Now?

Worth the investment?

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

If you like Vijay, this is for you!

BTW, i'm listening to it right now, excellent interpretation and the best SQ.

Roch

Bought it based on your recco. I owe you one. The best-sounding piano recording in my collection.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

• 2 weeks later...
If you liked the piano playing on Hoff Ensemble - Quiet Winter Night I can recommend this artists latest release, also on 2L and available directly on their site and other shops:

Jan Gunnar Hoff - Living

His intuitive, emotional flow playing piano reminds me of Keith Jarrett.

The Hoff Ensemble is amazing. Loved the relax, ambient sound. It really feels live! Such a power from DSD!

Is there anything like this? I am looking for a jazz quartet DSD similar to art pepper, maybe someone has a lead.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Any comments on the Mahler stuff from SF Symphony on dsdfile? Looks promising, good Stereophile review.

I have all of them (Blue Coast Music) and they have a very good SQ.

Headphones: ZMF Atrium Closed, ZMF Bokeh, Audeze LCD-X, Meze 109 Pro, Focal Clear Mg, Noble Katana IEMs, Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed
Amp/DAC: Decware MKIII Tube Amp, ZMF Homage, Schiit Bifrost 2/64, Woo Audio WA8, Burston Playmate 2, Mytek DSD192 DAC, Cayin RU7, Chord Mojo, Fiio M11 Plus DAP
Cables: Promitheus XLR Interconnects, WyWired red cables, Meze Silver, ZMF 6.35 ofc and 4 pin xlr stock, Arctic Cable, Audio Envy Cable balanced, balanced Silver Interconnects
Other: Aurender N100H, Macbook Pro (2023) running Audirvana Studio

The NativeDSD.Com web site has 170 DSD Downloads, most in both Stereo and Multichannel DSD formats, from 5 record labels on their downloads site. All of these come from DSD Edit Master Tapes from the record labels. Anyone worldwide can buy these downloads - often available in both album and single track form. I have some of the Channel Classics Multichannel DSD Downloads by The Gents, Katona Twins and Alfredo Marcucci. Just excellent!

More recently, the PentaTone Music label has started selling their catalog in WAV, FLAC and Stereo and Multichannel DSD Download formats. Their original recordings are from new DSD recordings. Check the PentaTone web site. Again, these are available to music fans worldwide, no geographic restrictions. I picked up the Gershwin and Strauss Waltzes in Multichannel DSD. Very well done.

Acoustic Guitarist/Singer David Elias has three albums recorded in DSD available as DSD Stereo Downloads on his site (David Elias - Independent Acoustic Music since 1995 - DSD Downloads), Super HiRez, NativeDSD.Com and HDTT. Two of these (The Window, Crossing) are also available on the Elias site and NativeDSD.Com as Multichannel DSD Downloads. And they are amazing sonically and musically. I'd start with the Crossing album in Multichannel DSD.

Super HiRez also has native DSD recordings as Stereo DSD Downloads from artists including Band of Horses, Elephant Revival, Steven Vidiac and Kan ' Nal on their site. They are all very impressive and the Band of Horses album, recorded live on a Mytek DSD DAC, was recently the # 1 best selling download at Super HiRez.

And yes, the DSD Downloads from Opus 3 Records on DSDFile.Com, mentioned at the top of this thread, are also very good. I can recommend the ones by blues singer Eric Bibb, Lars Erstand, the EP by singer/pianist Yamina and their Showcase 1 and Showcase 2 downloads as ones to consider in either DSD64 or DSD128 formats.

So, there are some very well recorded DSD music and albums to choose from out there to feed your DAC and music system!

• 6 months later...

Very happy to have found likeminded DSD fans. I have recently started to enjoy DSD quite a bit and am somewhat struggling to find more content. I do have a Meitner MA-1 and am thus able to enjoy native DSD as well and IMHO it just sounds great, prefer it to high res PCM in an A/B comparison.

Some of the music mentioned I do own, the latest album by David Elias is quite nice as is Patricia Barber's latest (both available at Super Hirez). Some classics like Shelby Lynne/ Just A Little Lovin' (beats PCM versions hands down), Hugh Masakela's Hope and Antal Dorati/ Firebird I have enjoyed quite a lot.

Some of the stuff mentioned like Vijay Iyer was new and I have to check it out. There is also a German site, highresdownloads, which has quite a bit of nice stuff as well.

But I also da have a request: Has anyone come across any version of Vivaldi's Four Seasons in DSD somewhere? Pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

There's a new Japanese site that has classical DSD. I should have bookmarked the page. Google to the rescue.

Thank for the pointer, I'll keep looking.

I found one as well on Nativ DSD Downloads, but I fnd the arrangement, lead viola and their tempo a bit odd.

[h=1]LE QUATTRO STAGIONI (2009)[/h][h=3]VIVALDI[/h][h=2]ORCHESTRA DA CAMERA ITALIANA[/h][h=3]SALVATORE ACCARDO[/h][h=3]LAURA MANZINI - CEMBALO[/h]

There's a new Japanese site that has classical DSD. I should have bookmarked the page. Google to the rescue.

This one's not new, but... http://www.e-onkyo.com/sp/

And another one: [ototoy]

In the beginning God made 'the light.'

Shortly thereafter God made three big mistakes.

The first mistake was called MAN, the second mistake was called WO-MAN, and the third mistake was the invention of THE POODLE.

Must agree that cookie at blue coast and Jonas at channel classics have first class DSD music even in MCH . Just downloaded DSD64 MCH Gustavo Nunuz- Capricho from channel classics. Highly recommended if you like bassoon and low strings.

Actually most of the Channel Classics Multichannel DSD music is over at Native DSD these days. The Channel Classics site is primarily Stereo DSD plus about 20 of the Multichannel DSD downloads vs. over 160 Multichannel DSD downloads on Native.

Actually most of the Channel Classics Multichannel DSD music is over at Native DSD these days. The Channel Classics site is primarily Stereo DSD plus about 20 of the Multichannel DSD downloads vs. over 160 Multichannel DSD downloads on Native.

The Channel Classics site sells the un-tagged .dff edited masters sliced into tracks at the original SACD produced track markers, preformed prior to Pyramix's introduction of its DSD Converter module.. The nativedsd site offers the same complete catalog, in addition to other natively DSD recording labels in metadata tagged .dsf DSD format, in both stereo and multi-channel of the same edited masters.

• 4 weeks later...