IGNORED

Backup Plan for New System

Right now I have my iTunes library on the internal hard drive of my old iMac. I have a new iMac on order, and I hope to convert the old one into a dedicated music server. It is old enough that I can't put more than 4GB of RAM in it, which makes running iTunes and Audirvana+ a bit suspect; however, I think it will work since I won't be using it for anything else. I know I need to get the iTunes library off the internal HD and on to an external drive. This leads to my questions about a good backup plan. Assuming I am correct that I should get a backup drive with at least twice the capacity of the drive I am backing up, here's what I was thinking:

1. Buy one 2 GB USB 3.0 drive for use with the new iMac as a time machine drive (it will have a 1 GB internal fusion drive);
  2. Repurpose the 1 GB firewire drive I am currently using for time machine backups of the old iMac to hold my iTunes library and nothing else; and
  3. Buy one 2 GB firewire drive to connect to #2 above to keep my iTunes library backed up.

Does this seem reasonable? Can I connect drive #3 to drive #2 like I'm hoping, and if so, will time machine allow me to back up this drive?

Are you looking more for secure backups in case of a disaster or are you looking more at high availability?

The first case would be more if a thief stole your machine, or a natural disaster (fire, flood, storm, etc.) comes through.

The second case is more for when a disk crashes. You can get back to playing the music very quickly, and replace the disk the next day.

Or both?

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Okay, then that makes sense. I would probably follow through with your plan -

Move the iTunes library and media files to the new external drive.

Hook a second drive up and image the drive with the iTunes library and media files to it. You can set this up to happen on a daily basis in fact.

Hook up a third drive and point the iMac's main harddrive and the 1st drive with media files and the iTunes library to it.

In the event of a disk crash, you can easily recover and use the second disk drive for iTunes and media.

In the event of needing to retrieve a file you have inadvertently deleted, the Time Machine backup will allow you to recover those.

For disaster recovery, I would just ensure a copy of the Time Machine disk is stored offsite.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Useing External HDD for iTunes library is a really bad idea. iTunes is so latent for searching and makeing changes in library, so in External HDD this is more slowler yet.

Listening to music is the best pastime. DELL Inspiron 17 Windows 7 w/ Jriver 18 External HDD 1.5GB Seagate Audioengine D2 • Turntable ONKYO Dynamic Four 800 → ONKYO A-9000R + UWF-1 → JBL Studio 530 + JBL Sub 550P • SONY BDP S5100 → SONY KDL-46W905A • iPod Classic 160GB → FIIO E11→ Sennheiser HD650