IGNORED

Can the Impact Twin be used as Preamp in a home stereo system?

I just pulled the trigger on a TC Electronic Impact Twin that I plan to use for various things; Audio DiffMaker, RightMark Audio Analyzer testing, and as a DAC and finally, hopefully as a Preamplifier. My first question is: "Can the Impact Twin be used as Preamp in a home stereo system?"

The output impedance of the TCIT (Preamp) = 100ohms

The input impedance of the First Watt M2 (Amp) = 100Kohms

To match preamp and amplifier optimally the output impedance of the preamp should be 1/10 the input impedance of the amplifier.

ex.

If the amplifier has an input impedance of 20k, the output impedance of the preamp should be 2k.

20k/10=2k

So in my case the ex. looks like;

amplifier input impedance is 100Kohms, the output impedance of the preamp should be 10k.

100k/10=10k

The TCIT is only 100ohms.

Next question is "What effect will this have sound quality and it's ability to serve as a preamp in my system? "

Thomas Turner

SPEAKERS - Snell Type C/V | PREAMP/DAC -  Project Pre Box S2 Digital  | SOURCE - Auralic Aries Mini | ROOM TREATMENT - LEDE, bass traps @ Rear of room, acoustic panels @ 1st reflections point: side walls | AMPLIFIER - Acurus A100

To match preamp and amplifier optimally the output impedance of the preamp should be 1/10 the input impedance of the amplifier.

As to my understanding, the above is a inequality, not an equation:

R
i
< R
a
/ 10

as the objective in small signal transmission is not maximizing the transmitted energy, but keeping the voltage unchanged. Thus you should have no problems driving your amplifier with the Impact twin.

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra

Ok, do you know if it's optimal?

Thomas Turner

SPEAKERS - Snell Type C/V | PREAMP/DAC -  Project Pre Box S2 Digital  | SOURCE - Auralic Aries Mini | ROOM TREATMENT - LEDE, bass traps @ Rear of room, acoustic panels @ 1st reflections point: side walls | AMPLIFIER - Acurus A100

Ok, do you know if it's optimal?

Their is no right value in this case. Optimum would be zero resistance in the source and infinite resistance in the sink. In practice, around 500 Ω for a source and 50 kΩ for a sink are usual values. Since you are well above the factor of 10, this connection should work perfectly.

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra