IGNORED

converting iTunes library into a new directory

I'm sure this is probably discussed somewhere in here, but I had no luck finding it. My existing library is in an iTunes directory /Users/name/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media. These are all ripped as AIFF as I use them to playback through my stereo using a mac mini as a server. I would like to be able to convert these to a "compressed" format, but in a different directory so I can put them on my iPad and iPod Touch without using so much memory. I'm not as concerned with my iPad as it is the 64G model, but then again, I don't know if there are any advantages to having the non-compressed AIFF files on it. I am using iTunes 11. Your methodology/recommendations/suggestions would be appreciated.

2 ch: mac mini with Mavericks OSX, Audirvana+, JRiver MC19, Fidelia, iTunes with Bitplus, exaSound e20 DAC, Simaudio Supernova CDP, DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0, Simaudio i7 amp, Anthony Gallo Ref 3.5 speakers, Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp, Sennheiser HD800 with Cardas cable.

HT: Pioneer Pro-151 Plasma, Anthem D2v pre/pro, Simaudio Titan 5ch amp, Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player, Velodyne DD15 sub, Paradigm Signature S6/C3/S2's, Buttkicker tactile transducers.

I'm sure this is probably discussed somewhere in here, but I had no luck finding it. My existing library is in an iTunes directory /Users/name/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media. These are all ripped as AIFF as I use them to playback through my stereo using a mac mini as a server. I would like to be able to convert these to a "compressed" format, but in a different directory so I can put them on my iPad and iPod Touch without using so much memory. I'm not as concerned with my iPad as it is the 64G model, but then again, I don't know if there are any advantages to having the non-compressed AIFF files on it. I am using iTunes 11. Your methodology/recommendations/suggestions would be appreciated.

New to iTunes 11 is the ability to automatically convert your music to AAC and at a higher bit-rate than 128 kbps. If you go to your iPad or iPod Touch Summary screen, you can check the box that says:

Convert higher bit rate songs to 256 kbps AAC

...being sure to click on the drop-down and change the default 128 to 256, in the example above.

Then, iTunes will convert your AIFF music to AAC on the fly, as part of syncing to your device. Works great, but it takes longer to sync, of course. I think this is a much easier solution than maintaining a parallel directory of music tracks.

I know many will argue with me on this point, but I suspect you will not notice the difference between AIFF (uncompressed, lossless) and 256 kbps AAC on your iPad using your EarPods. And, you will be able to store a LOT more music for listening on the go.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just the way I like 'em."

Hmmm, I don't see anywhere to do this on my ipad or ipod. If this is to be done on my mac, I don't see where to do it there either. Can you give me a bit more direction? Thanks

2 ch: mac mini with Mavericks OSX, Audirvana+, JRiver MC19, Fidelia, iTunes with Bitplus, exaSound e20 DAC, Simaudio Supernova CDP, DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0, Simaudio i7 amp, Anthony Gallo Ref 3.5 speakers, Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp, Sennheiser HD800 with Cardas cable.

HT: Pioneer Pro-151 Plasma, Anthem D2v pre/pro, Simaudio Titan 5ch amp, Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player, Velodyne DD15 sub, Paradigm Signature S6/C3/S2's, Buttkicker tactile transducers.

Plug the iPhone into the Mac with iTunes running.

In iTunes on the Mac: click on the iPhone (under Devices) in the panel on the left. (Lists libraries, playlists, store etc).

Now, on the Summary page, you'll see an Options panel towards the bottom. One of the entries there will be "Convert higher bit rate ..."

Select 256 or whatever you want and then click Sync as normal.

ok, so if I have existing AIFF music files on my ipad, these will be converted to 256k AIFF files, but leaving the original uncompressed files on my mac as is?

Plug the iPhone into the Mac with iTunes running.

In iTunes on the Mac: click on the iPhone (under Devices) in the panel on the left. (Lists libraries, playlists, store etc).

Now, on the Summary page, you'll see an Options panel towards the bottom. One of the entries there will be "Convert higher bit rate ..."

Select 256 or whatever you want and then click Sync as normal.

Interesting! That seemed to work, for the most part, however in doing so, I noticed my album covers didn't get copied over. Then when I opened up my iTunes on the mac again, I noticed they had disappeared from there as well which seems very peculiar. I then went through and got all my album artwork again and did another sync. When I opened up my "albums" tab at the bottom of my touch, it shows all the albums to the left, however, only a few album covers are appearing with the majority showing just a music symbol. The odder thing is when I turn the ipod sideways (horizontal), all the album covers appear, even those that don't appear when the ipod is held vertically. Furthermore, if I click on one of the blank albums to open it up, the album appears. Any ideas what is going on? I've tried synching two additional times with no change.

The album art should get copied over. Not sure what's going on there.

Coverflow only works when the iPhone is turned sideways.

Perhaps someone else can comment???

I know coverflow only works when the ipod is turned sideways, but all my album covers used to appear on the left hand side when turned vertically, but now, only a few do, yet all the albums appear in coverflow. Odd?

I know coverflow only works when the ipod is turned sideways, but all my album covers used to appear on the left hand side when turned vertically, but now, only a few do, yet all the albums appear in coverflow. Odd?

Yes, that is very odd. I've never had any problems with album art syncing over to my iPod Classic or my iPad. You might try rebooting your iPod Touch - hold down the home button and the power button at the same time and it will completely power down. Then, restart and when you load the Music app, it may rebuild the internal database.

If that doesn't work, try removing all of your music and then resync a few albums back on and see if the problem is still there.

After that, head over to Apple support.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just the way I like 'em."