IGNORED

Woman vocals - suggestions

And nobody's listed Rickie Lee Jones? You must listen to Rickie Lee Jones...

Just get her self-titled first album "Rickie Lee Jones" and "Pirates" to start with. Then move on to "It's Like This" and "Naked Songs" followed by "Pop Pop" and "Traffic From Paradise".

Best,

John

P.S. If you like a more pop music sound (you asked for more folk/jazz in your first post) and you liked Cat Power and Yeah Yeah Yeahs, then try Lorde and also Ladyhawke, both of whom are fun!

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

+1 for Rickie Lee Jones, but got to recommend "Flying Cowboys", and "Balm In Gilead", two of her most brilliant original collections, before moving on to "It's Like This", and "Pop Pop", which are all covers of other people's songs. Or, just get "Dutchess of Coolsville", her 3-disc compilation.

Hello

A few from me that have my playlist lately

• Sade - Love Deluxe
  • Eva Cassidy - Songbird
  • Tracy Chapmen - Collection
  • Diana Krall - When I look in your eyes
  • The Cardigans - Long Gone Before Daylight - Rock/pop, had to look up the lead singers name Nina Persson

Cheers Frank

PC>JRiver> Lindemann USB-DAC 24/192> White Bird Amplification VIRTUS-01> Sennheiser HD650 headphones

PC>JRiver> Lindemann USB-DAC 24/192> Cyrus 6VS> Dali Zensor 1

Don't think anyone's yet mentioned:

Cassandra Wilson [Jazz]

Margo Timmins (Cowboy Junkies) [Alternative Blues/Country/Folk Rock]

Angel Band (Nancy Josephson, Kathleen Weber, & Jen Schoenwald) [Americana/Folk]

The Refugees (Cindy Bullens, Deborah Holland, & Wendy Waldman) [Americana/Country/Folk]

Sarah Brightman's _DreamChaser_ is one of her better non-opera outings. This one for some reason reminded me of a German techno style. There are several tracks that just stand out and show off her talent without any of the high volume high frequency stuff she can do so well.

Track 2 - One Day Like This was fun to listen to. Had a bit of a Daft Punk feel to it...

Track 7 - Ave Maria - I swear I didn't recognize the song until 60 seconds or more into the track. It's good though.

Track 10 - Venus and Mars - well done.

Track 11 - Closer. This was a delightful surprise. It is a nice twist of tubular bells... :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

+1 for Rickie Lee Jones, but got to recommend "Flying Cowboys", and "Balm In Gilead", two of her most brilliant original collections, before moving on to "It's Like This", and "Pop Pop", which are all covers of other people's songs. Or, just get "Dutchess of Coolsville", her 3-disc compilation.

Great point and suggestions! Spot on…

Best,

John

P.S. Have we mentioned Blondie (Debra Harry) yet? This seems like a master list at this point...

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

+1

Yeah, someone finally mentioned Shirley Horn. One of the underappreciated vocalists of the last 50 years.

My favorite of hers:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4935[/ATTACH]

Anything by Billie Holiday, but preferable before the 50's when her voice was shot and she survived on her not inconsiderable skills as a vocalist, even with the deteriorating voice.

Very good suggestions and reminders in this thread. I only miss The 2 Carmen Gomes albums ''Torn' and ''Thousand Shades of Blue'',which I resently downloaded from the Sound Liaison site.Lovely singer and repertoire and the sound is sublime.Miss Gomes and her band are one of the few of the younger generation of bands that dares to use silence as a part of their musical expression, like someone as the late Shirley Horn does so well.http://soundliaison.com/products-from-our-studio-showcase-series/1-carmen-gomes-incSSS1%20Milan%20300.pngtorn.jpg

Some very good suggestions here.

But did no one in this 10-month-old thread NOT mention Laura Nyro?

The most soaring voice, with deepest emotions, ever perhaps.

Laura_nyro_eli.jpg

(Also, on the folk side, I really like Lori McKenna a lot -- sexy voice and great storyteller.)

lori-mckenna.jpga

And totally off-topic, by type of music, Trio Mediaeval are glorious. Choral music both Renaissance and contemporary, with the extra blessings of being recorded on the wonderful ECM label.

trio-mediaeval-web.jpg.jpg

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I've been listening to Julie London lately:

Julie London.jpg

2012 MBP (OSX 10.11 and Amarra Symphony w/IRC)-> Revelation Dual Conduit USB -> Berkeley Alpha USB -> Verastarr Silver Signature AES -> Devialet D250-> Siltech 550L -> KEF 104/2 (Steve Nugent Custom).

Power conditioning Audience Adept AR2p -> Verastarr Grand Illusion, Siltech Explorer 270p and Crystal Cable Standard Diamond

Analog: VPI Classic 3, Sumiko Pearwood Celebration ii, Siltech 770i RCA

Meet Me In London, this might be the best female vocal album I own:

114271851.jpg

2012 MBP (OSX 10.11 and Amarra Symphony w/IRC)-> Revelation Dual Conduit USB -> Berkeley Alpha USB -> Verastarr Silver Signature AES -> Devialet D250-> Siltech 550L -> KEF 104/2 (Steve Nugent Custom).

Power conditioning Audience Adept AR2p -> Verastarr Grand Illusion, Siltech Explorer 270p and Crystal Cable Standard Diamond

Analog: VPI Classic 3, Sumiko Pearwood Celebration ii, Siltech 770i RCA