IGNORED

foobar2000 - DSDIFF vs SACD Plugin

morecrap

Hi Guys,

My first post here. I'd like to start by saying hi to everyone!

Now the question:

I have a PS3 ripped ISO. When I open it with foobar2000, it plays using the famous SACD plugin at a sample rate of 176.4kHz (on converting to PCM). When I extract the tracks to the DFF format, it plays in foobar2000 using the DSDIFF plugin at a sample rate of 192kHz (on converting to PCM).

My major observation was that the DFF format sounded better and louder.

Is it in reality, better quality than the SACD plugin's 176.4kHz?

If anyone has tried this and can help me understand, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Hi!

The volume difference may be due to the different gain settings in the used plug-ins.

I don't use the DSDIFF plug anymore, so I only can comment on the SACD_input plug-in.

AFAIR, the DSDIFF one used a "gain" setting of +3dB instead of the (useful!) setting of 0dB used as standard with the SACD_input one.

Besides this, the SACD_input plug gives you different options on how/which filters will be used in converting the DSD data into PCM.

I recommend in deleting the old DSDIFF plug, and only keep the newer SACD_input plug.

Cheers

Harald

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

• 8 months later...
Hi!

The volume difference may be due to the different gain settings in the used plug-ins.

I don't use the DSDIFF plug anymore, so I only can comment on the SACD_input plug-in.

AFAIR, the DSDIFF one used a "gain" setting of +3dB instead of the (useful!) setting of 0dB used as standard with the SACD_input one.

Besides this, the SACD_input plug gives you different options on how/which filters will be used in converting the DSD data into PCM.

I recommend in deleting the old DSDIFF plug, and only keep the newer SACD_input plug.

Cheers

Harald

I deleted the DSDIFF plugin and am using SACD_input as you suggested. However when I switch the ASIO driver mode to DSD (I have the DSD-capable TEAC UD501), no sound will play. Everything works fine when I switch back to PCM mode. Any ideas what might be causing this issue?

Hi ClassicalDJ,

I deleted the DSDIFF plugin and am using SACD_input as you suggested. However when I switch the ASIO driver mode to DSD (I have the DSD-capable TEAC UD501), no sound will play. Everything works fine when I switch back to PCM mode. Any ideas what might be causing this issue?

What ASIO mode do you use (inside Foobar)?

I ask, because you will need to install the according ASIOProxyInstall.exe (which is contained with the foo_input_sacd plugin download).

Yamah made a quite good PDF on how to setup their CD S 3000 player with Foobar to play native DSD:

http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=de&site=at.yamaha.com&asset_id=59782

Just "replace" their driver with that of your TEAC, and you should be fine.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II