IGNORED

Joni Mitchell For the Roses on HDTracks

I just downloaded For the Roses from HDTracks. I selected the 24/192 Flac version. Just let me say that the listening experience is sublime. This all bodes well for the future as, hopefully, there will eventually be even more JM recordings appearing in the DL marketplace(if Ladies of the Canyon and For the Roses are any indication).

I do notice that there is no mention of remastering, at least on the outside packaging, for the recent JM box set. The HDTracks DLs are listed as "Rhino/Elektra" but that is not specific indication of provenance. Still, I'm quite happy with what I'm hearing so far.

Esau

Here is what I put in another thread...I agree, it is a great sounding version (I went with the 24/96 AIFF).

I just downloaded For The Roses on HDTracks in 24/96 and I am really loving the music...and it sounds nice to my ears, too! I only have one other Joni Mitchell album (Court and Spark, Redbook) and I like this one so much more (even though that one is a classic).

Best,

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Could you post a spectrogram, please?

I bought the 24/96 version of Ladies of the Canyon but decided my vinyl copy had just a tad more texture.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

• 2 weeks later...

Beware that "Ladies of the Canyons" appears to be 16-bit! I'll pass on other "hi-res" Joni Mitchell releases, thank you.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f13-audiophile-downloads/joni-mitchell-15140/index3.html#post215174

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

I've read that thread and am sad for those who buy music for the number of bits rather than the enjoyment of the music. I don't know if it sounds better or worse than the CD...what I do know is I really enjoy this album and this version sounds really good to me. I hope you already have or pick up a CD copy of this if you don't want this version and want a digital copy. As you know from your album, the music is really nice.

John

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

I've read that thread and am sad for those who buy music for the number of bits rather than the enjoyment of the music. I don't know if it sounds better or worse than the CD...what I do know is I really enjoy this album and this version sounds really good to me. I hope you already have or pick up a CD copy of this if you don't want this version and want a digital copy. As you know from your album, the music is really nice.

John

And I'm sorry if I offend...I should always post in the Music forum, not the analysis forum. My bad....

John

I've read that thread and am sad for those who buy music for the number of bits rather than the enjoyment of the music.

I have ~10 Joni Mitchell LPs, a couple of cassettes, ~6 CDs (now ripped, of course), and the one fake 24/96 download of LOTC. I really like her music.

So, excuse me, I certainly don't buy music for the number of bits. I buy it to enjoy, thank you. The whole idea of hi-res, for me, is to maximally enjoy the music. The very best hi-res seems to combine the best attributes of digital (dead silent backgrounds) with those of vinyl (supreme resolution and musicality). So, when HDT sells me - at a premium - a version of LOTC that might not be any better than a CD I'm pissed! IMO it's BS that the labels and HDT are selling a fake product.

YMMV

So, excuse me, I certainly don't buy music for the number of bits. I buy it to enjoy, thank you.

That is great...I do hope you saw my "sorry if I offend" follow up. So based on your other copies, how does this version sound? Exactly the same, worse, better?

I recently ripped a DVD copy of a Blondie album in 48kHz/16 bits and compared it to the same CD version and the difference is noticeable. Now I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the slight increase in sample rate, right? So it has to be something else...but it SOUNDS better in a way anybody could hear. More clarity, separation, less grunge. I would listen to the DVD copy over the CD copy every time. Kind of sucks that it wasn't 24 bit but hey, if they used better care mastering it, I'll take it.

What do you think of the HDT version compared to your CD, please?

John

So based on your other copies, how does this version sound? Exactly the same, worse, better? . . . What do you think of the HDT version compared to your CD, please?

I don't have the CD of LOTC, I have it on vinyl. You can read my comparison impressions here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f13-audiophile-downloads/joni-mitchell-15140/index2.html#post209323

The short of it is I think the download sounds very good but the difference btw it and the vinyl copy is pretty much the difference I usually hear btw vinyl and CD. Thus, the "hi-res" (24/96) download is disappointing and I don't recommend it. If they're only going to give you 16 bits, you might as well buy it, for less, on CD. To be fair, tho', there is a small amount of energy - per audacity spectrograms - above the 22 kHz cutoff for CD, so there *might* be some advantage to the download over CD. I'll let someone else make that comparison.