IGNORED

clicks at start of audio converted from DSD

Yeah, that's one of the things you have to take into account while converting, and the fact if the tracks belong together or not. Nice part in converting on the fly while playing back tracks that belong together is that there are no transitions between the tracks, but just one entire album long intact bit-stream.

You could also splice up the tracks at the PCM side of the converter, taking into account the conversion delay.

Even when playing out DSD (DSD -> DSD) it is necessary to apply processing for the track transition for the tracks that don't belong together.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Yeah, that's one of the things you have to take into account while converting, and the fact if the tracks belong together or not. Nice part in converting on the fly while playing back tracks that belong together is that there are no transitions between the tracks, but just one entire album long intact bit-stream.

You could also splice up the tracks at the PCM side of the converter, taking into account the conversion delay.

Even when playing out DSD (DSD -> DSD) it is necessary to apply processing for the track transition for the tracks that don't belong together.

Thanks for the comments! I did mention the option to splice up the data on the PCM side (at the very bottom of the page).

Just had a look at your HQPlayer software and it looks like is does a huge amount of stuff. Very nice to see a linux version too. It must've taken a lot of effort to get to this stage? I presume that you wrote all the various utilities to do the file and sample rate conversion too? Does the HQPlayer allow file format conversions? I've had a quick play but I could not see that option?

I'm curious how you manage things in HQPlayer? For example, if you put two dsf tracks in a playlist does the software let the DSD run though if it thinks they are consecutive and from the same album? Or does it do the same thing irrespective of whether the files might be continuous DSD or not?

I've been working on my dsf2flac converter for about three weeks and it has been a lot of fun. Output files are sounding very nice but still want to have a play with the filters and noise shaping. There is another page of interesting info here: https://code.google.com/p/dsf2flac/wiki/TestingRev3 I'm certain that this will be bread an butter to you but others might find it interesting.

Cheers, Jack.

Very nice to see a linux version too.

Linux is my primary development platform. Developing free open source software still pays my bills, and is a bit ironic too. :)

It must've taken a lot of effort to get to this stage?

Something like all available time for many many years...

I presume that you wrote all the various utilities to do the file and sample rate conversion too?

Yes, all the file handling, DSP and playback code is my own.

Does the HQPlayer allow file format conversions?

No, I've been thinking about making a file converter similar to Weiss Saracon, but so far haven't got time. Only missing part is GUI, since I have command line file conversion tools for testing out the algorithms.

I'm curious how you manage things in HQPlayer? For example, if you put two dsf tracks in a playlist does the software let the DSD run though if it thinks they are consecutive and from the same album?

It's simple since the player has two modes, in playlist mode tracks are though to be likely non-related or at least possibly out of order. In album mode tracks are assumed to be in order and form a continuous sample stream.

Of course one could try to figure out relations from the metadata (with DSF)...

Or does it do the same thing irrespective of whether the files might be continuous DSD or not?

No, because I consider completely gap-less album playback extremely important.

There is another page of interesting info here: https://code.google.com/p/dsf2flac/wiki/TestingRev3 I'm certain that this will be bread an butter to you but others might find it interesting.

Yes, I've seen it. I've been following your earlier posts. It is interesting to see what kind of approach others are taking. :)

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

How exactly can I compile this on OS X? I have GCC installed but quite limited experience when it comes to building C binaries, in particular the part about creating the necessary links.

Listening Room: ALIX.2D2 (Voyage MPD) --> Arcam rDAC --> Marantz PM-15S2 --> Quadral Wotan Mk V

Drinking Room: ALIX.2D2 --> M2Tech hiFace 2 --> Cambridge Audio Azur 740C --> Rotel RC-06/RB-06 --> B&W XT4

Home head-fi: Grado SR80i, Sennheiser HD 650

On the go head-fi: Sennheiser IE 8

How exactly can I compile this on OS X? I have GCC installed but quite limited experience when it comes to building C binaries, in particular the part about creating the necessary links.

Hello Sik, I've just replied to your PM.

If anyone out there is willing to help compile and test on OS X that would be great!

Jack.