IGNORED

iPod, Pure i20 and jitter

(I’m still just getting up to speed on computer audio, so forgive me if my terminology is a bit shaky.)

For reasons I’ll explain below (if you’re interested), I’m thinking of using an iPod Classic with an iPod dock, probably a Pure i20. I’d like to run the digital output of the Pure i20 into a separate DAC (probably a Micromega MyDac, Musical Fidelity V-Dac II or Arcam rDac). But I’m wondering what this means in terms of jitter or other potential pitfalls I may not be aware of.

As I understand it, an asynchronous DAC takes over the timing function from a computer when the two are connected via USB. But I don’t understand whether this is a concern running an iPod into a Pure i20 and then into a separate DAC (or for that matter, the implications of jitter using the Pure i20 by itself, without a separate DAC). Is the connection between the iPod and the dock a USB connection? Do I even need to worry about this stuff?

Most of my music is Apple Lossless redbook, but I’d also like to try the occasional high-res download in the future.

So my questions are, will using an asynchronous DAC fix any jitter concerns, and are there any other considerations I need to take into account with a setup like this.

Sorry to be so long-winded. And thanks if you’ve stuck with me.

-Bob

OPTIONAL BACKGROUND INFO: I’d rather use my MacBook Pro running to a DAC and then on to the Arcam integrated amp of my main audio system. But my MacBook Pro is waaaay far away from my audio system, meaning really long runs of a USB cable from the Mac to the DAC and then long interconnects from the DAC to the Arcam. I'd also have to hook it all up every time I want to listen. It would also be a PITA to move the Mac every time I want to listen to music. So that’s why I’m thinking of the iPod dock system.

Why not stream the music to a streamer, e.g. an AppletTV, Cambridge Stream Magic 6 or whatever fits you by UI etc.?

Cheers,

Peter

Home: Apple Macbook Pro 17" --Mini-Toslink--> Cambridge Audio DacMagic --XLR--> 2x Genelec 8020B

Work: Apple Macbook Pro 15" --USB--> Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 --1/4\"--> Superlux HD668B / 2x Genelec 6010A

If you can wait till May ... maybe try the Arcam AirDAC - a version of the (quite highly rated) rDAC which has Airplay built in.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Why not stream the music to a streamer, e.g. an AppletTV, Cambridge Stream Magic 6 or whatever fits you by UI etc.?

Cheers,

Peter

I guess because I don't really know what any of those things do! (Although Googling for the Cambridge unit revealed that it's a few hundred dollars more than I want to spend.) It's taken me quite a while to get to the point where I semi-understand what I semi-understand, and I have not had time to expand to other kinds of streaming or airborne solutions. So I can't really answer your "why not" question at this point, although I really appreciate your response. Thanks to you, too, Eloise. I guess I have more learning to do if I want to stray from my proposed solution, though if anyone can address my questions about jitter, etc. that would be great.

-Bob

I think I actually just answered my own question. Despite a good deal of googling before posting my question, I stumbled on this today, from the Pure website:

"For its analogue output, i-20 again extracts the digital signal and uses its Cirrus 4353 hi-fi quality DAC and high-precision low-jitter clock to deliver true hi-fi audio performance levels..."

PURE launches i-20, a ground-breaking hi-fi quality digital iPod dock.

So apparently, if the DAC inside the Pure uses a clock to reduce jitter, you'd also want to use an asynchronous DAC if you're using the Pure's digital output. Does that sound right?

Thanks again for your help.

-Bob