IGNORED

15 USB/SPDIF converters shootout

Please,

Based on this Elberoth member excelent article, I bought an Audiophilleo2 to add to my system. A few years ago, I adopted the FireWire Weiss INT202 interface and was very pleased with it.

However, taking into account the qualitative evolution of digital audio in home computers using USB, I decided to try out this interface that I thought was well evaluated here. Use for connector to interface to computer BNC cables (I've tried three brands).
https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/15026-15-usbspdif-converters-shootout/#top

I have two "media servers" (PCA) in two audio systems, one with Cambridge 851D DAC and Windows 8.1, another with dCS Scarlatti DAC and Windows 10. Both with JRiver MC 23.

The sound produced with this interface is very good, pleasant and musical. However, whether Windows 10 PRO or Windows 8.1 PRO, the operating system does not accept the installation of the drivers provided by Audiophilleo and I can reproduce with quality only files as of 24/96. The files 24 / 176.4 and 24/192 suffer continuous choking that makes hearing impossible.

I wonder if anyone had a similar problem and how they solved it.

I have been in contact with the manufacturer countless times, who was very polite, kind, considerate, but all his orientations and attempts to solve the problem were not effective in solving it. I'm afraid to send the device for review, as it would mean to pay back all freight and tariffs expenses, which in Brazil are very high, without results, because the problem may be in the incompatibility of the connection of Audiophilleo with DACs or in the configuration of the computers.

Hi, Marcin_.

Thank you very much.

I'd already tried that. Audiophilleo drivers are not in an executable file. They have to be included through the driver update routine in Device Manager. After I tried to do this in several ways, the manufacturer itself tried to do it remotely, with the TeamViewer program, equally unsuccessful.
Whatever the strategy or routine, Windows warns that the best driver is already installed.

What I would like to know is if someone has already had this problem, and how it solved it. The interface works very well until 24/96, with no need to install the manufacturer's driver.

I think of several types of obstacles, for example, that the problem may be in the use of Wasapi. With this interface, Jriver MC and Windows do not place ASIO or Kernell Streaming among the playback device alternatives. So maybe I should change the Jriver program for another. I would not like that, for I am very pleased with him.

12 hours ago, ÉdisonCh said:

Hi, Marcin_.

Thank you very much.

I'd already tried that. Audiophilleo drivers are not in an executable file. They have to be included through the driver update routine in Device Manager. After I tried to do this in several ways, the manufacturer itself tried to do it remotely, with the TeamViewer program, equally unsuccessful.
Whatever the strategy or routine, Windows warns that the best driver is already installed.

What I would like to know is if someone has already had this problem, and how it solved it. The interface works very well until 24/96, with no need to install the manufacturer's driver.

I think of several types of obstacles, for example, that the problem may be in the use of Wasapi. With this interface, Jriver MC and Windows do not place ASIO or Kernell Streaming among the playback device alternatives. So maybe I should change the Jriver program for another. I would not like that, for I am very pleased with him.

If this is on Windows 10 Creators Update, it could be that Audiophilleo uses driver from Microsoft - native support for USB Audio 2.0 was introduced with this update. I don't have good experience with this driver. I used to own Audiophilleo and I could play anything using Kernel Streaming...

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

Good Morning.
I did three upgrades in my OS to enable the new Windows components, which according to the comments enabled the "native" OS resolution for samples higher than 24/96. First from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Home. Then from Windows 10 to Windows 10 Creator. Finally, from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 PRO. None of them worked with Audiophilleo.

As I suggested above, I thought that JRiver MC23, because it did not provide ISO and Kernell Streaming, was the limiter. Yesterday, I tried Foobar2000, V 1.3.16, and gagging continued to happen. Maybe with JPlay I can get over the problem, but I get better audio quality results on my system with the JRiver MC23 64 bit. The plic-plocs also happened, in smaller quantity, with the JPlay and the sound became worse.

I think the problem is really configuration, and since I'm almost 70 years old (I was born in 1948) and I do not have the culture of thinking and speaking in computer language, I might not know how to configure JPlay properly. In JRiver I have already tested dozens of configurations. It is because of all this that I am seeking help from anyone who is aware of this problem and has discovered some special solution on how to configure the computer.

I exchanged a lot of emails with Audiophilleo's support, and I received a series of guidelines from them. It occurs however, that everything they have suggested I have tried, as they are the same guidelines contained in the manual and the material that appears on the manufacturer's website. These are standard Windows routines I already knew, and family to those who like me have computer audio for over 10 years.

Thanks for the suggestions, and I will continue to try to overcome this problem by taking into account your guidelines. However, the quality of audio up to 24/96 is enough to justify the purchase of the interface.
Thank you very much.

Good Morning.

Philip was effectively predisposed to receive Audiophilleo2 for examination. But, I'm thinking that maybe there could be another alternative, because it is playing very well until 24/96. I wonder if anyone had similar problem and solved it before any attitude.

It has happened that I sent another product for repair in the USA (Mojo Audio Power Supply Joule V). I had to pay, of course, the freights to and from the country, and when I returned to Brazil, I had to pay the customs duties (which come close to 90% if I come by courier) on the value of the product plus freight. As a result, the total cost of Linear Power Supply Mojo Audio Joule V got about 3 times the original price in dollars.

I reconfigured the computer several times, alternately trying out various audio and USB drivers. I was able to make the interface reproduce the .wav and .flac files with high quality from 16 / 44.1 to 24/96.
I look only for the tips and suggestions of those who have had similar problems.

Thank you very much.

I understand that because the AP2 playing fine 24/96, you thought about another alternative. Playing 16/44 to 24/88 and 24/96 is the most important gap in term fo sound quality except if you want to play 2,8 MHz DSD  in DoP mode (24/176 would be required).

The AP2 is a excellent USB to SPDIF interface which is more improved by using linear supply  instead of reaching 176 or 192 frequencies to my point of view.

I think in a similar way to you. I also think most of the best recordings are on 24/88 and 24/96 (and even on 24/48, in the case of Deutsche Grammophon).

But, I have many hundreds of recordings on 24/176 and 24/192, purchased on HDTracks, Linn Records, Channel Classics, 2L, and several other sites. Some of these recordings are excellent.

In addition, the product specifications say that it supports until 24/196. Finally, the dCS Scarlatti plays DSD (in DOP format) as a multiple of 24/176.

But it was just an attempt, and I am grateful to those who sought to collaborate. What I'm listening to in this little set, with Uptone ISO Regen, with LPS-1, Audiophilleo2, MIT-MA-X BNC Cable, Wireworld Starlight 7 and Audioquest Diamond USB cables , DAC Scarlatti is an exceptionally high quality audio, almost analog, far beyond what I could imagine a few years ago.

Othert hings I am thinking of:

• Could you borrow a laptop or other computer to see if the same problems exist?
  • Are there no other hifi people around that could possibly test the Audiophilleo?

Terrible answer, but:

If you cant get the Audiophilleo working  why dont you try the Singxer SU1?

It is getting very good reviews and you should be able to sell it off for reasonable money on ebay/Audiogon or Audiomart if you dont like it.

Thank you.

But in the previous posts you have registered that I have tested on more than one computer, with more than one program. My 3 Media Centers (PCAs) assembled in the last 12 years are still in operation. I'm an audiophile (new term for an old addiction) for about 50 years and I like to try to keep up with the evolution of the technology of listening to music with quality. I really liked Audiophilleo and it achieved what I was looking for: a digital non-digitized sound.
I'll keep an eye on this interface you suggested.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The one I don't see anywhere in the thread is the Anelope Audio Pure 2.  It's a master clock, with oven controlled occilators, along with USB conversion.  When used with a high end DAC like a dCS it creates audio nirvana.  I use with with my ElgarPlus and Purcell.  It's next level good.  With the master clock distributing to the other components and the digital side synched up, you can forget all the others.  Not sure about DACs without word clock, but with it, I would say that it makes the dCS U-clock look like a joke.

• 11 months later...

Hello, I am hoping someone has advice for me on the following. I have a Astell & Kern Kann Cube and want to play from the using the USB out of A&K directly into my Anthem processor. Stared with a Wyred 4 Sound uLink, it works but not very musical. With all the great reviews ( this thread helped my decision) I purchased Audiophilleo 2 with their power supply. Does not work, a lot of static and no matter what I do nothing helps. Philip has made a few suggestions but to no avail. Has anyone else run across this? Thanks Chris

• 5 months later...

USB PCI-e risers can they be used with Spdif out or toslink for charging a battery or for this sort of thing like POE for Ethernet in case of usage for charging a smartphone or recharging a laptop battery with like for running an egpu or recharging a battery here as well to free up tb3/tb4 ports for usage or the OHM battery not good enough for this UPS battery backup for pcs and smart tvs here using the internal sound system chipsets here after reading on sound blaster sound cards for the pc here?