IGNORED

2.1 Speaker System for Dorm room

Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a 2.1 Speaker system for my macbook. I listen to bands to bands like mars volta, radiohead, poerishead, pink floyd, metallica, some jazz artists.

At the moment I own a logitech 2.1 speaker system but the bass is too much (even when the bass setting is set to zero) and the sound quality is not great. I have been reading about the Klipsch Promedia GMX 2.1 system but apparently it is outdated. The other options I'm thinking of are Altec Lansing MX 5021 or FX 4021.

Can somebody please advise me on how to go about this? Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry

These are powered speakers, so you'd go straight from your dac (or analog out from the computer's soundcard) into the speakers.

I have not heard these, but have considered buying them as a desktop system based on a review by Robert Reina in Stereophile. See his write-up at http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1207ae/. Note that he set these up carefully on mass-loaded stands. However, if I read this correctly he ran them straight from his iPod's headphone output.

They're small and I think they'd be an easy fit in a dorm room.

Here's the listing at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-White-Powered-Speaker-System/dp/B000VKEFMS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1238205054&sr=8-2

where you can see both positive and negative responses from buyers.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

For someone considering a subwoofer-based system for use in a dorm, the A5 would be a great choice, sans sub.

Larger package than the A2, for better low end response.

Both models sound great - I have a pair of each.

enjoy

clay

The audioengine's have a volume control on the back of one of the speakers.

Right, these are a stereo pair and you'd have to buy the subwoofer separately. Audio engine sells one, but it is by itself $400. Note cfmsp's suggestion that the A5 has better bass response and so you might not need a sub.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

Well we all find ourselves in that boat -- we can only afford what we can afford.

I can't say anything about the FX 4021 as I've not heard them. Consequently, the way I would look at this quandary is whether, at about $100, will these be a big enough step up? Or is it worth saving up a bit more money?

Here's another thought. Have you ever thought about headphones? You can get a lot more bang for your buck in terms of sound quality. Lot's of situations in a dorm where silent listening might come in handy. And keep your current speakers for when you want to share your tunes with your buddies. Anyway, something else to consider. :-)

A few years ago I too was shopping for a similar purpose and price range. After considering Audioengines, I ended up buying a Cambridge Soundworks Model 12 system. Although not an audiophile product per se, the sound quality is quite impressive - clean without the overly-boomy bass you mentioned. It has several qualities that make this a good choice for a dorm room: small satellites for placement in tight spaces, a clever case/subwoofer that tucks easily a desk, and rugged construction that will stand up to dorm conditions.

When I was looking, Audioengine was only available directly from the manufacturer and I didn't want to buy any speakers without hearing them first. Now the Model 12s have the same problem....they just are't set up for demo in retail stores. But check them out if you can. I am not claiming it is a better-sounding system than others suggested here...only that it may be a good choice for your situation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've had my Model 12 for about 8 years now, and it still works perfect. I travel extensively, and never leave home without it. I use it at home with my laptop and a set of Mirage OMD-5s for the satellites. Really a great option. Especially since they are currently on sale for $425.

mot

• 3 weeks later...

I also recommend with the Audioengine 2's. They're a great sound for the price and for near field, I highly recommend them; you can always save up and get the sub (which I have not heard) at a later date.

Edit (forgot to add): Usher S-520 bookshelf speakers are awesome for the price ($350), very well reviewed, Bi-wireable. Not the the most efficient at 86db/8ohm but preform very well with good bass for the size. Front firing so you don't need lot's of room behind them, way more bass than Audioengine2 but the Usher is bigger and can probably get way with not having a sub. I don't think these will disappoint in a small room. Excellent finish for the price. http://www.usheraudio.com/news/S-520/s-520-avguide.pdf

For another fun step up, I really enjoyed the Glow speakers with the sub, I liked the clear wood finish & funky shape. I especially liked the sub and is available separately and has glowing reviews (no punt intended). I was really impressed with the sound for such a low price and it's small. I bet the Glow sub would pair very well with the Audioengine 2's very well.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/glow2/system.html

I'm looking to replace my Totem One (old version) with something else for my bedroom. I haven't heard the Johnblue JB3 but again, great reviews for such a tiny and good looking speaker. I love to try them for a desktop near field. Right now my two top choices would be either JB3's or Audioengine2's with the Glow sub for the bedroom. JB3 setup is pricier of the two and perhaps worth it.

Lyngdorf TDA2200 int.\ Accuphase E-211 int.~ Totem \Mani's & "The One\" monitors~Bryston BDA-1 DAC~Halide HD DAC~Micromega Transport~AnTi cables & Synergistic Research cables~JohnBlue JB3~(mod) Totem orig. Model One monitors[br]Mini Mac,1.8ghz Core 2 Duo

But way outside the $400 limit Jerry is looking to spend. :-)

I've never seen the Glow speakers...have you heard them? I was thinking about picking up some Anthonly Gallo speakers, but those look really nice as well. I wanted to try out some single drivers speakers with no built-in crossover.

Mot

I agree about the price but mentioned them as an option for anyone else with a bit more budget. The Usher are within his price range and they won't need a sub as much as the others. The Audioengine2 with the Glow sub I think would run around $550 but for the extra 150 you get a lot of good sound for such a small package.

I haven't heard Gallo's for a very long time, while they sound good they never suited my taste and thought the sub matching needed improvement. Again, this was a while ago so I can not speak for the recent and improved models. I do see them around being referenced quite often and Gallo is a very good company.

I too am interested in single drives, there's a huge worldwide cult following for DIY single drives. Last year I bought some modified and tuned Fostex FE127eN drivers from Planet10-hifi and intend to build front vented narrow cabinets with MDF/Zebrano wood for them. I've just been a bit slow getting the project started even though I have all the materials it just I haven't found the ideal cabinet design for my requirements.

You can get nice single drives speakers for a very reasonable price, great way to enter the audiophile world for very little money especially when paired with a t-amp or with one of those small inexpensive asian tube amps, the single drives are very efficient and don't need much wattage. They just lack in bass but if you mostly listen to vocal and strings you will be rewarded with very nice music. This forum has a lot of better informed people to ask about single drives, it's a discussion that empowers much passion and debate in the audio world.

Click the link to see images of what people are doing with single drives, it goes on page after pages of images: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en-us&um=1&q=Fostex+FE127&sa=N&start=0&ndsp=21

Lyngdorf TDA2200 int.\ Accuphase E-211 int.~ Totem \Mani's & "The One\" monitors~Bryston BDA-1 DAC~Halide HD DAC~Micromega Transport~AnTi cables & Synergistic Research cables~JohnBlue JB3~(mod) Totem orig. Model One monitors[br]Mini Mac,1.8ghz Core 2 Duo