IGNORED

intriguing idea but is the implementation good enough?

I just came across the Dspeaker Anti-mode 2.0. I am intrigued, because it has an USB asynch input and a digital output. So basically it can be used as USB-Spdif converter including room correction. I like this idea. I also like that they are correcting only up to 150 Hz or so. But... Does anyone have experience on how well the usb-spdif conversion part is implemented? How transparent it is? I am a bit worried seeing that it only has a toslink output. I would much prefer a properly implemented XLR or RCA output. Any thoughts?

Are there comparable products that take an usb input, do room correction in the digital domain and output either usb or spdif?

Companies such as Lyngdorf and Trinnov make similar devices but much more expensive.

Another similar (but less flexible) device is the KRK Ergo which is less.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I just came across the Dspeaker Anti-mode 2.0. I am intrigued, because it has an USB asynch input and a digital output. So basically it can be used as USB-Spdif converter including room correction. I like this idea. I also like that they are correcting only up to 150 Hz or so. But... Does anyone have experience on how well the usb-spdif conversion part is implemented? How transparent it is? I am a bit worried seeing that it only has a toslink output. I would much prefer a properly implemented XLR or RCA output. Any thoughts?

Are there comparable products that take an usb input, do room correction in the digital domain and output either usb or spdif?

They dont use RCA or LR becuse they dont want a gorund connection. Apparently its transparent, but the USB is still limited to 24/48 and Toslink to 24/96. The room correction can go up to 500hz if you wish, but the default autiomatic is to 150hz. Finally, the anti-mode algorithm is some kind of breakthru software and is the "secret sauce".

Companies such as Lyngdorf and Trinnov make similar devices but much more expensive.

Another similar (but less flexible) device is the KRK Ergo which is less.

Eloise

Yes, Lyngdorf and Trinnov are similar devices but none of them have an USB audio input. Also they are total overkill if you already have a good DAC. I was looking for something that works purely in the digital domain and has an USB input. An USB-spdif converter with room correction so to say. J

They dont use RCA or LR becuse they dont want a gorund connection. Apparently its transparent, but the USB is still limited to 24/48 and Toslink to 24/96. The room correction can go up to 500hz if you wish, but the default autiomatic is to 150hz. Finally, the anti-mode algorithm is some kind of breakthru software and is the "secret sauce".

Yes, the 24/48 limitation on the usb input is a real pity. I hope they will improve on that in future firmware updates. Did you ever try the Anti-Mode? It would be great to compare its usb-spdif conversion quality (without room correction) to other converters. If it would compare to lets say a halide converter, that would make things really interesting.

• 2 months later...

I have been using the Lagoon USB into this a DSpeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core for the past few months. I send the unbalanced RCA analogue output from the Dual Core through a Belles 21A preamp to my powered PMC AML1 speakers.

I did try the Dual core directly into the XLRs of the speakers, but liked the preamp in the chain better (unfortunate, because it would have had a VERY small foot print without the it).

I have treated my dedicated listening room with home-made bass traps extensively, but may be able to simplify the treatment after adding the dual core.

Grand slam home run. I doubt I will listen without a Dual core in my system again. The soundstage takes over the room and the veil is lifted. Setup takes five minutes. This is the future of listening to music.